pioneer usb head unit in a w210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gadget1960

Car
Suzuki GSXR 1000
Hi all, hope you can help me with this install before I start it. I have just purchased a pioneer MVH-160UI USB/tuner head unit that I would like to install in my w210 in place of my standard MB cd unit.
My question is this ... will this unit be compatible with all the MB electrics without having to resort to additional splicing of wires etc:? I understand I will need the standard ISO adapter cables but I have heard one or two things about using after market head units such as ... the steering wheel volume controls cease to work and amplified head units interfere with the on board amps after install and only certain head units are compatible with certain MB cars.
If anyone could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated.:thumb:

Steering wheel controls will not work unless you have an adaptor (if available). W210 has standard iso connectors anyway so all plug and play except you will need to find a switched live (ignition feed) which most take from the cig lighter. Does your car have sat nav (comand)? I don't think it matters and I don't think you will have the amplifier issues that W211's have with HK systems

Steering wheel controls will not work unless you have an adaptor (if available). W210 has standard iso connectors anyway so all plug and play except you will need to find a switched live (ignition feed) which most take from the cig lighter. Does your car have sat nav (comand)? I don't think it matters and I don't think you will have the amplifier issues that W211's have with HK systems

Hi and thanks for the info, my w210 does not have the sat nav so in theory all I will need is just the control module for the steering wheel controls?
Isn't there a live feed coming from the original vehicle wiring? I have noticed that my ISO connectors have the ability to change which wire is a permanent feed and which is a switched feed (twin bullet connectors) on both wires (red or yellow), would this solve the live feed issue?

No, there is a permanent live in the plug but no ignition live as the OEM unit switches on via canbus pulse.

Take the ignition live fees from the cigarette lighter below. Easy to splice into.

No, there is a permanent live in the plug but no ignition live as the OEM unit switches on via canbus pulse.

Take the ignition live fees from the cigarette lighter below. Easy to splice into.
OK I see, will I need the interface for the steering wheel controls too? and will I lose any information from the centre display unit ( as a lot of vehicles do)?

The interface is for the steering wheel controls to go over canbus. Some will also adapt the canbus wake up signal to a conventional ignition live.

Some adapters will just display "pioneer" in the cluster and only allow volume and track changes. Other adapters are more sophisticated in the information they display. It comes down to both the adapter and head unit in question.

The interface is for the steering wheel controls to go over canbus. Some will also adapt the canbus wake up signal to a conventional ignition live.

Some adapters will just display "pioneer" in the cluster and only allow volume and track changes. Other adapters are more sophisticated in the information they display. It comes down to both the adapter and head unit in question.

I only have volume controls really as the other controls are for a phone and for the centre display ... mpg / radio station / trip / and so on, just didn't want to lose any of the info available on the centre display.

You will only lose the audio controls. The mpg/malfunctions/oil check etc etc will still work

I only have volume controls really as the other controls are for a phone and for the centre display ... mpg / radio station / trip / and so on, just didn't want to lose any of the info available on the centre display.

You can change the radio station or CD track by using the left hand buttons when the audio section is displayed.

Is this the same with the pre-facelift 210?

Thanks, sorry I meant about whether you need to splice the cigar lighter for the live feed?

I'm planning on changing the original head unit for one with a USB doodah

You can change the radio station or CD track by using the left hand buttons when the audio section is displayed.

On an aftermarket head unit? Mine shows --- under audio (pioneer HU)

Thanks, sorry I meant about whether you need to splice the cigar lighter for the live feed?

I'm planning on changing the original head unit for one with a USB doodah

Pretty sure pre facelift is just a direct swap.

Which canbus adapter have you used?

Haha sorry I think there has been some confusion. The OP was wondering what he would lose with a Pioneer HU. I have one fitted with no adaptor and hence no steering controls. I thought you meant these were still available without an adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom