Pirelli P Zero Rosso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Today, when getting my AMGs refurbished at Lepsons (they now look great) I replaced my ContiSportContact Continental tyres on my 17" AMGs despite them having about 3.5 mm of thread left. The Continentals were 2 years and 3 months old, and had done 23k miles.

The new Pirellis (225/45/17 front, and 245/40/17 rear) in the same sizes as the Continentals are a :bannana: REVELATION :bannana: .

They are SO MUCH BETTER than the Continentals (even allowing for the fact that the Pirellis are new). What is better?

1. much quieter -- it's like someone left the window open with the Continentals, and now with the Pirellis, the window is firmly shut.

2. much more compliant ride -- it's still firm, but does not thump like the Continentals used to. Bump absorption is leagues ahead of the Continental.

3. sharper steering -- the steering now feels more 'alive', and more responsive (although some of this is no doubt because the Pirellis are new).

The Pirellis are no more expensive than the new ContiSportContact 2.

I will never have Continental tyres again, what a load of rubbish they are.

It feels like I have a brand new car. Can't wait to drive down to Newquay from London this week-end to enjoy my new found sport 'limo'.

Together with refurbishment, it all cost £670 (£235 refurbishing and £435 for tyres from www.micheldever.co.uk)!!! With cost of alignment/tracking to follow. But worth it, it makes the car 'young' and 'virile' again. A great investment.

SEAN

Last edited:
Sounds great . . . . we need pictures :D

Do Lepsons do a one day service on refurbs then ?

S.

pics as soon as I get my grubby hands on digital camera.

Lepsons do a one day service but needs to be pre-booked. I was lucky and sneaked in on just 2 weeks wait. Otherwise it can be as long as 6 weeks!!!

sym said:
Sounds great . . . . we need pictures :D

Do Lepsons do a one day service on refurbs then ?

S.

Sorry to rake up an old post...

What model of Pirelli tyre did you buy?

I've been quoted £420 for a set of 4 Pirelli P7000 in 235/45 R17 for my W210 and this is the best price I've found but I have no experience of the tyre. It's a directional tread (which I wasn't really looking for) but the reviews seem to be OK.

Ian.

I bought the P Zero Rosso from www.micheldever.co.uk for £440 incl delivery to Lepsons (the people who refurbished my alloys). Sizes were: 2x 225/45/17 and 2x 245/40/17.

I wanted the new Dunlop SP Sport MAXX but the sizes weren't available. Neither was the quiet tyre, the Dunlop SP Sport 01.

Anything but Continental ...

IanT said:
Sorry to rake up an old post...

What model of Pirelli tyre did you buy?

I've been quoted £420 for a set of 4 Pirelli P7000 in 235/45 R17 for my W210 and this is the best price I've found but I have no experience of the tyre. It's a directional tread (which I wasn't really looking for) but the reviews seem to be OK.

Ian.

Don't want to spoil anybodys party, but lets see if you are still so happy after 4K on them. I had P Zero Rossos 225x40x18 on a Seat Leon Cupra R & they were rubbish, initially great but handling started getting worse quite soon, by 4K it was well noticable, by 6K I wouldn't take it out in the wet & they had to be replaced @ 8K as they were completely shot. After checking with other owners who all had same experience I opted for Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3. Initial performance was almost as good as Pirelli but they have showed no sign of any significant wear or deterioration of handling over the past 6K.

Only time will tell, maybe a RWD vehicle will be kinder to the Pirellis.

I have now done 5k miles on my Pirellis .. and they still look new and are as good as they were when they were new about 4 months ago. Wear is even front and rear. It probably won't last as long as the Continentals but I don't mind because it is so much better. Leagues ahead. The P Zero Rossos won the Autocar performance tyre test in Oct 03 in many categories (overall 1st). You are also now seeing this tyre as factory fit on some new Mercs.

bacormack said:
Don't want to spoil anybodys party, but lets see if you are still so happy after 4K on them. I had P Zero Rossos 225x40x18 on a Seat Leon Cupra R & they were rubbish, initially great but handling started getting worse quite soon, by 4K it was well noticable, by 6K I wouldn't take it out in the wet & they had to be replaced @ 8K as they were completely shot. After checking with other owners who all had same experience I opted for Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3. Initial performance was almost as good as Pirelli but they have showed no sign of any significant wear or deterioration of handling over the past 6K.

I have now done about 8k miles in the Pirelli P Zero Rossos and they are as good as ever. They are very good in the wet. There's still plenty of thread, but wear has been quicker than the Continentals. However, I reckon that there's at least another 10k miles to go.

bacormack said:

Last edited:
Just like to say that I've had the same P-Zero Rossos on the front of our C43 and I also thought they are a big improvement on the Contis. I haven't done as many miles as Sean F but I'm still happy!

bacormack said:
I opted for Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3.

So did I, they were fitted today.

And in the Autocar 2004 tyre test they won hands down.

Next set, I will get Pirelli P-Zero Rossos

Mind you, they didn't do so well in Autocars most recent tyre test, a month or so ago... The latest Goodyear I think was the winner, with Bridgestone second - but the results were quite close I seem to remember. I'll have to re-read it.

when I got the Rossos, they had won the Autocar test of Oct 2003. Just shows how quickly technology moves on ...

C240Sport97 said:
I have now done about 8k miles in the Pirelli P Zero Rossos and they are as good as ever.

Looks like the Pirelli's are best suited to a RWD car then, if you want to get some decent milage out off them that is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom