Pirelli P-Zero's on an E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
My first experience of a car wearing Pirelli P-Zero tyres in the wet.
Not impressed:shock:
The slightest application of throttle, even at low speed and the car wanted to step out.
I never got that with either the Falkens or the Goodyear F1's on the E55.

These have at least 5mm tread left so I won't change them for the sake of it, but I won't be buying any more Pirelli's.

Goodyear or Michelin from now on

I used to go with P Zero too as they were fitted from new, much prefer the Pilot Sport now and have ditched Pirelli.

The slightest application of throttle, even at low speed and the car wanted to step out.

These have at least 5mm tread left so I won't change them for the sake of it, but I won't be buying any more Pirelli's.

With the current wet performance that you have I would not be risking my life on a wet road, 5 mm remaining or not I would be buying new tyres or travelling by public transport if there was any chance of rain!

I've got Michelin Super Sport on and they try to step out in the wet too.
With the power you have, you to apply the throttle with regard to the weather choose what tyre you have.
So don't expect a miracle when you ditch the Pirelli's.
I had P Zero before the Michelin.

Still a bit surprised that, quote ' slightest throttle application, even at low speeds ' causes an E55 to want to step out. Although I have never driven an E55 I would have not have expected that, although like any high powered car the throttle application needs to take account of the road conditions. No doubt other E55 owners will correct me but given the massive amount of positive posts about the abilities of the car I am very surprised they are apparently so skittish in the wet .

I've got Michelin Super Sport on and they try to step out in the wet too.
With the power you have, you to apply the throttle with regard to the weather choose what tyre you have.
So don't expect a miracle when you ditch the Pirelli's.
I had P Zero before the Michelin.

I had more torque on the E55 and didn't suffer sliding with little throttle input. OK, I have around 70 bhp more, but the Falkens on the rear are far more sure footed in the wet.
In the dry, I have no complaints.

Still a bit surprised that, quote ' slightest throttle application, even at low speeds ' causes an E55 to want to step out. Although I have never driven an E55 I would have not have expected that, although like any high powered car the throttle application needs to take account of the road conditions. No doubt other E55 owners will correct me but given the massive amount of positive posts about the abilities of the car I am very surprised they are apparently so skittish in the wet .

Its the 63 on Pirellis that is skittish. The E55 on Falkens was far better behaved.

I had P-zero's on the s211, Couldnt wait to get shot of them!

I have nothing good to say about Pirellis. I swiched all mine to Goodyear/dunlop which are quiter more comfortable and give better wet grip.

Sometimes the shoe's just don't fit.
The P-Zero is not an approved MB fitment. Although the load and speed rating reads fine the internal ply and compound don't necessarily work.

Tyres are very much a matter of taste but some are wise to avoid because the build destination ( not size ) is not intended for all cars. Historically the P-Zero is aimed at Italian cars.

The Pzero is poor full stop.

To be honest they are exemplary on the right car. Nearly all the Ferraris's run on the Zero including the 40, 50 and 60, but if an MB owner asked for them I would question the request..

I have P zero's on my E63, I've not noticed any issues with grip, but then again I have the benefit of 4 wheel drive.
They are a bit noisy, but I think that might be more the 20" tyres than anything else.

My old W212 E63 had Bridgestone's on it, and if provoked in cold damp conditions it would have tried to kick the back out.

There are different flavours of P-Zero and they work ok for some cars.

I have a slightly bigger car and my PS3s struggle. They break traction dry and I can’t launch it quickly in damp conditions. That said, I can moderate the throttle and feel quite safe in the wet. I want to try the MPS4S next.

The ones on my car are MO1 spec, front and back.

If you think they're bad in the wet now, wait until the ambient temperature drops :eek:

MO-spec P-Zeros work reasonably well on the W212 E63 when they're new and ambient temperatures are 16-18c or higher. Once they're part worn (5mm or less tread remaining), especially if the temperature is below about 10c and it's wet, then they're absolutely dire. As someone quipped, ketchup sticks better to a fried egg.

FWIW, I ran P-Zeros, Conti 5P's, Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's and Michelin PA4's on my E63's which I drove year round as daily drivers. Except in out and out winter conditions when the PA4's were unbeatable, I rated the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's as having the best balance of performance and life. They were noticeably quieter than the other summer tyres too. The Conti 5P's gave marginally better wet weather performance than the F1's, especially in colder conditions but were noisier, cost more, and didn't wear as well. The P-Zeros were worst of the lot (except in a narrow operating window) by a large margin.

The good news, Rog, is that if you only have 5mm on the tyres now it won't take you long to wear them out ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom