Piston Heads - amount of cars for sale.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Just noticed tonight there's now 112,000 cars for sale as against 84,000 last week! Might be a good few bargains in there now.

I wonder if people are selling privately in preparation for the 63 plate...

33% increase is quite a jump. Are you sure it's not just loaded with scams ads?

New registration September would explain an increase.

already mentioned#2 note to self read all posts before posting.

Last edited:
33% increase is quite a jump. Are you sure it's not just loaded with scams ads?

38,000 of them? Doubt it. I think it would be fair to say that the vast majority of adverts are the real McCoy. I'd presume also that there's always roughly the same percentage of scam ad's on average, if so, it's still a huge jump in adverts, 33% as you mentioned. Figure today sitting at 111,000 which indicates to me it should be a good time to buy as I'd expect AutoTrader etc to have a similar percentage increase?

I wonder if people are selling privately in preparation for the 63 plate...

I thought the new reg months didn't make that much difference these days?

I did read somewhere that this month is expected to be a big increase on Aug 12 so perhaps the market in general is taking off (for some reason).

I browse the AMG category in the PH classifieds most days. Last week it went from 327 one day to 360+ the next. Yet only half a dozen new ads appeared. Today it shows 393 AMG's for sale. I don't think the numbers are reliable, possibly the same vehicle can be listed in several categories?

I suspect Haymarket has done a deal with another company to run their ads.

Nick Froome

I thought the new reg months didn't make that much difference these days?

I did read somewhere that this month is expected to be a big increase on Aug 12 so perhaps the market in general is taking off (for some reason).

Change in registration plate months still dominate new sales in the UK and the previous month before the change are much lower. Last time I looked at the SMMT data approx 40% of the total years sales happen during the two months when plate changes occur.

I just did a little exercise and checked both Merc's & BM's listed for sale. The amount stated 6600 and 7200 for the latter, checks out with amount of results - ad's per page by number of pages.

Anyone who wondered why Haymarket bought Pistonheads should have their answer by now. Income from classified car ads alone must be mighty

Classified ads bring page impressions, and page impressions bring online ad revenue

Nick Froome

Anyone who wondered why Haymarket bought Pistonheads should have their answer by now. Income from classified car ads alone must be mighty

Classified ads bring page impressions, and page impressions bring online ad revenue

Nick Froome

Totally incorrect.

Advertising on PH is free to those who have been members for 4+ years and this window is continually refreshed. Traders have always had to pay and will continue to do so.

And you'll know this having been a member for so long.

Last edited:
Totally incorrect.

Advertising on PH is free to those who have been members for 4+ years and this window is continually refreshed.

I don't know if that's just badly phrased, but the above isn't true.

PH ads are free for people who have been members since 1st Jan 2009. It's not "continually refreshed".

Rory,

You are incorrect. It's currently free for PHers who have been members since BEFORE that date, not since that date.

The date is not a fixed date, and is updated occasionally. Since this was implemented, the registration date has been pushed out twice.

K

Kinky said:
Rory,

You are incorrect. It's currently free for PHers who have been members since BEFORE that date, not since that date.

The date is not a fixed date, and is updated occasionally. Since this was implemented, the registration date has been pushed out twice.

K

I think kinky may be a mod on PH, which is why he had difficulty in believing that he may be wrong.

The current position is that members who joined before that date get free adverts. The date is not 'continuously' refreshed, and that is what I think Rory was trying to say, before a typo tripped him up....

Rory,

Hmmm....I wonder how everyone else read my post?

Thanks for confirming that it's not in fact updated continuously.

Rory said:
Hmmm....I wonder how everyone else read my post?

Thanks for confirming that it's not in fact updated continuously.

He also made a quick edit there!

I think kinky may be a mod on PH, which is why he had difficulty in believing that he may be wrong.

He's obviously miffed that as this isn't PH he can't just reply and then close the thread.

I'm not particularly fussed to be honest ;)

Here's a link to the announcement of the (then) new classifieds and reference the 2nd bullet in the middle of the page:
Changes For The PH Classifieds - PistonHeads

I'm not here to argue. To be honest, I only came here yesterday as I removed some offensive posts referring to this site.

Please feel free to believe what you like :bannana:

I'm not here to argue.

Ironic post of the day. :)

(Great thread attached to that link, BTW - I don't think I'd seen that before).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom