Pitting and peeling lacquer on my red one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SLK collected today.
Inspector sent from BCA to examine car to check it conforms to "return standards" was fully aware with the red paint micro blister problems and even had info on it on his laptop.
He said car would be re-sprayed before onward sale.

Last edited:
It's in the bodyshop now? What'f they given you as a courtesy car?
Yep. Paint off, picture record being kept.
Nothing as yet. Temporary A-Class not available, all booked out. Luckily my wife's car is usable this week as she's in the USA for work this week. I should be getting a newish C-Class by the end of the week courtesy of the original supplying dealership.

I read the first pages before the post seemed to go off topic thanks to ECP. Glad the car is sorted anyway. Nice to see Merc taking responsibility.

Got my loan car on Friday. Interesting to compare and contrast with a W204......
964B8AF6-9C6B-462B-86A3-ED496E59B48A_zps6roh4ldo.jpg

Wow, wish I'd a W205 instead of a B Class downgrade. :(

Pics look epic, I didn't realise they'd go to that length. I know they took my glass out, etc but they've took everything off yours!

It took over 3 months of negociation to get it done properly, inc door shuts (the reason all doors etc have been removed) it will hopefully be a seamless finish.
More pics to follow........

Repost due to changing picture file

Got my loan car on Friday. Interesting to compare and contrast with a W204......
964B8AF6-9C6B-462B-86A3-ED496E59B48A_zps6roh4ldo.jpg

Last edited:
Repost due to file location change

The Story so far......
29FB9C34-7970-4D8F-8ED9-29C21C5D1E13_zpsrqstzyxn.jpg

89E73395-3651-41AF-BCB7-9FF65404D106_zpshlmwauvk.jpg

9D8EAC90-858F-48FF-8784-1B67B4C5D2F6_zps9wbawolb.jpg

Sorry about the repost, the post edit feature is closed very quickly and I had realised that I'd left the images in an open Photobucket account :crazy:

I was in a Tesco car park the other day and saw another same age red one.

So I parked next to it.

As soon as I got out I noticed a patch on his/her car. I wanted to hang around until they came back to either see if they knew the score, or give them some good news if they don't, but had to be somewhere. Hope they get it sorted though.

They do appear to be a different colour, but I think it's the light, it was sunset with the sun to the right. (Mine is the left car)

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 43
Indeed, oh dear!
It looks like all opal flakeys, will suffer at some stage in their life. I wonder how long our newly sprayed cars will last? Not that I will keep it that long if it less than 5 years.

I'm confident that just by virtue of the fact the process is different, man in bodyshop, not robot doing something wrong over and over again. Also I'm sure they know what the issue is, so if it was primer choice or something, they'd have sorted it.

Looking on the bright side at least.

Well I just got a call back from merc Watford and they have rejected the claim under warranty and goodwill.. Looks like I will have to fund the repairs myself... Really not happy with the result :(

^^^Did they advise you on what basis the claim was rejected? Seems strange that they are choosing to repaint some cars and not others where the deterioration in the paintwork is the same. It strikes me that the success or otherwise of a claim depends on where you take the car initially for inspection. Against you of course is the age of the car, but its a well documented problem!

I think you are right oldguy :(

With that in mind, maybe we ought to have a possible "sticky" letting people know who and which garages are "sympathetic" to the process of respraying our MB's when the measles strike. So people know who to go to in their area to ensure a proper level of customer support and service. It would also be worth keeping a record of the which models have been accepted for a respray and their age at the time of respray.

What do others think of the idea?

Last edited:
Well I just got a call back from merc Watford and they have rejected the claim under warranty and goodwill.. Looks like I will have to fund the repairs myself... Really not happy with the result :(

That's crap. I think it really does depend on which dealership you go to.

But also maybe an element of your approach.

Well the guy at Mercedes-Benz colindale was turning me away before I asked him to double check his math.. He said I was out of the goodwill period which is 8 years and I had to ask him to count on his fingers 2008 to 2016 .. So not exactly a good start I'd say.. Just hope he agrees without any hassle..

If you really did say "count on your fingers from 2008 to 2016" it might have came across a bit condescending, and alienated that guy from you.

Try another dealership, as mine was accepted no questions asked. Have you got pictures of the problem?

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that once a warranty request has been declined, that's final across all dealerships, to stop people just walking dealerships until they get the result they're happy with. Fingers crossed for you though, as I'd be gutted.

Is it not the head office that determines the outcome of the claim or not? Hence why mine sat at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting for this decision.

It's now 10 weeks since I handed mine back , I'm hoping it is finished any minute now.

Second stage:
23033A94-9273-4604-B99B-84334CA13BEE_zpsqipyci77.jpg

702BA448-A8EA-47ED-80FF-98518B85F627_zpskjqvacpi.jpg

Nearly ready for collection........ :D
EEDA41D6-9D14-46E2-B71A-A25207CB875E_zpswovyurpw.jpg

Spot the difference?
I did pay the extra for it. MB were not inconvenienced in any way ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom