Placement of Underdash GPS antenna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuie

Car
2005 SLK 350
Hi Everyone
I have just installed a comand 2.0 into my Ml and the nav system is fluctuating wildly on how many sattellites it picks up. Seems to go from 0 to 7 but mostly stays between 0 to 3 which is not ideal. I used a generic under dash antenna and stuck it on the underside of the dash, just to to right of the pass airbag unit looking up through the windscreen. Would this be the problem or something else??

:confused:

I normally have the aerial located behind the instrument cluster. Pull the cluster out and there should be a ledge behind where you can mount it. This way you get maximum reception and its out of sight.

Otherwise does your GPS aerial have a metal plate underneath it?

Hi
I had his when fitting mine,Hardly any sat's.My gps reciever was magnetic so I found the best position for me was fixed to the metal bracket just behind the instrument cluster.Now it rarely drops below 6 sats.

pluggers said:
Hi
I had his when fitting mine,Hardly any sat's.My gps reciever was magnetic so I found the best position for me was fixed to the metal bracket just behind the instrument cluster.Now it rarely drops below 6 sats.

On my 202, the receiver is glued to the top of the central air vent ducting. It is invisible and gets a 4-8 satellites without trouble. So the dash material doesn't block the signal (at least on the 202).

Yes, the aerial does have a magnetic base. i put a couple of sticky pads on it. Should it be turned the other way up??

oops, The magnetic base should pointed down wards! I placed it on a metal plate to make the base a little bigger and installed it behind the instrument cluster with good results. Check if there isn't any thing blocking the antenne, like metal. The plastic dash is no problem.

OK theres my problem. The aerial is positioned in a clear space with plenty of glass above to 'see out'. Will flip it over tonight and see how we go.
Thanks chaps

Hi
In my ML,I use a genuine Mercedes antenna, in the same position you have yours fitted, just to the right of the passenger airbag, and have no problems receiving 5 to 8 satellites.

Mine has an oem 203 antenna, mounted in the parcel shelf under a speaker grill. Clearly if you don't have a fixed parcel shelf it's not much help but it's a good location and it gets a great view of the sky from there! :)

Yep, sounds like the antennae is upside down! A common problem i've found.

Genuine antennaes work better than non OEM ones!

Stuie said:
Hi Everyone
I have just installed a comand 2.0 into my Ml and the nav system is fluctuating wildly on how many sattellites it picks up. Seems to go from 0 to 7 but mostly stays between 0 to 3 which is not ideal. ... Would this be the problem or something else??

:confused:

Why don't you fit the roof antenna? I just installed Comand 2.0 and I get 7 or 8 satellites all the time. Your ML is MY2003 so it's pre-wired for the antenna, takes 10 min to install. Makes your ML look better, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom