Places to see/things to do in Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Folks,

I am off to Cornwall for 5 days next week. Are there any particular sites/places to visit that are an absolute must. I really do not know the area but heard its lovely.

Naturally I will be camping with BBQ on the ready and the shed is up for a little touring.

My pal and I have agreed to take a boat for one of the days, 1x sailing boat and 1x motorboat (much more my cuppa). Other than that, really not sure about the area, are there particularly scenic roads for example, or routes anyone can recommend?

Ta

Steve

Do you ever work or just tour around the continent in your car!?

Try to do as little work as poss!!!

I am a work to live sorta guy....work fits around me, not the other way round.

In saying that, not been on here for about 5 days, work was effing mental and was in Saturday but off yesterday and today. Then two weeks holiday. Love it!!!!

St Ives is very attractive, worth a visit to the branch of the Tate there. Falmouth has a magnificent port location and there is now a branch of the National Maritime museum there. Padstow similar to St Ives, Rick Stein's fish and chip shop on the quay worth a visit. Port Isaac on the north coast is very scenic, good source for fish and seafood is the fisherman's co-operative by the (small) harbour - park at the top and walk down, very narrow.

Launceston has a stunning Motte and Bailey castle, and in the centre is Warrens the butchers for all your bbq needs - great meat, good price, always packed. Mevagissey and Fowey in the south are lovely, slightly bigger but with excellent fish is Looe (all day boat fishing so it is probably the freshest fish in the country - supplies most of London restaurant trade.

Driving is slow in the summer, huge number of grockles in their cars - try and avoid arriving on a Saturday as that is handover day and the A30 over Dartmoor and Bodmin moor really gets clogged.

Even if you are not horticulturally inclined, the Eden Project is worth a visit, the geodomes are stunning.

Tons more to do and see - family have lived in East Cornwall for 20 years or so, but then we don't really hit the tourist areas.

Thanks Charles, its an area I've always fancied seeing, but never gone myself so oblivious to whats worth seeing and what is not. Weatherwise, well, its going to be warmer than here. We've found a campsite near Newquay.

Such challenges on the trip down, a Vindaloo challenge, bring it!!! Co-incidentally we found a prem inn in Newcastle Under Lyme, merely to break the journey and more importantly so we arrive at campsite when the sun is still out and can get pitched.

Anyone recommend a Curry house in Newcastle Under Lyme or even better, anyone free on Sunday night for a curry in that area.

If going to St Ives, park the car at Lelant Saltings and take the train in, nice ride round the coast and saves the hassle in town. I agree the Eden project is well worth a visit. Some great coastline round the Padstow area, and excellent fish and chips from Rick Steins there as well, watch out for belligerant seagulls ;)

have dinner/lunch at 15 in Watergate Bay .. excellent food (taster menu) and decent prices, with lovely ambience

have tea/cakes at the Headland Hotel (the conservatory bit overlooking Fistral)

have something to eat at the beach hut cafe/restaurant at the other end of Fistral (i.e. opposite end to where the shops are).

also see a play at the Minack theatre: The Minack Theatre

get a surfing lesson at Fistral or Watergate Bay

Last edited:
Had a very pleasant stay in Looe many years ago. Lovely little B&B type hotel with excellent food - meals with tureens of fresh steamed vegetables, that kind of thing.

Looe is a proper 'fishing village that time forgot' type of place. Perfect!

Then you can go and tell your colleagues that you are taking your holiday in Looe. Or lieu. Take your pick. :ban: :D

So is Mousehole

1. Eden Project and buy the book about it by Tim Smidt if you can.
2. Lost Gardens of Helligan
3. Fowey pronounced Foy
4. Exmoor on the way down or back

The B3276 from Padstow to Newquay is a road I have enjoyed a couple of times.

My grandparents retired to Cornwall when we were kids so spent lots of time down there. Sadly, I personally think its best day are past, and I have been severely disappointed every time that I have been back in recent years. The old fashioned values that made it special are gone, and the businesses are out to fleece every pound that they can from the visitor. Should not be so bad though, at this time of the year.

Places that I particularly like are St. Mawes (tea at the Idle Rock, overlooking Carrick Roads) - you can build that into a trip to falmouth as there is a frequent ferry. Mevagissey - very narrow roads, parking on the quay, still a working fishing town. Great model railway. Trelissick Gardens are going to be good if you like walking and photography. Avoid the minature world near Perranporth - complete ripoff. Many years ago Poldark was very good, not so sure what it's like now. We always enjoyed Flambards as younger kids - it's a bit more touristy so as Poldark, not sure now.

In terms of fun driving forget it. There will always be a pensioner or a lorry in front.

On the way down I used to head towards Paignton, then Dartmouth via ferry, heading on to the coast road via slapton sands (look out for the tank as they practised for D day here), to Kingsbridgge then to Plymouth to rejoin the A38. Takes a while though.

Time of year that you are going even a Saturday will not be disastrously busy, although there is a roundabout on the A30 above Truro which can cause delays.

In terms of driving roads , the B3314 is a peach.

Come off the A30 at Tregadillet , get on the A395 ( a nice road in itself ) , skirt the edge of the moor almost as far as Camelford , then get on the 3314 via Delabole and Pendoggett to Wadebridge.

Lots of fast sweeping bends , not too many villages either.

Watch out for tractors and caravans though.

I used to live in a caravan in Polzeath and still go to Rock regularly to see friends.

My record door to door ( 232 miles ) is 3 hrs 22 mins. ;) M3 - A303 - A30 - A395 - A39 - B3314

Avoid Newquay at all costs. Its less of a cool surfers' hangout and more Blackpool on a wet bank holiday nowadays. Cheap shops, McDonalds, Costa(lot) Coffee etc. And the smell of greasy chips and p1ssed teenagers.

^ Is true.

Was terrible when i lived that way 15 years ago , what must it be like now ?

I once walked back from a club in Newquay ( Tall Trees , don't know if it still exists ) to Polzeath due to having no money for a cab and having lost all my friends during the course of the evening , along the coast path in the dark , that was a night and a half , i can tell you. :crazy:

Cornwall is full of lovely places still! I live here and still need to get out and visit some myself! St Ives as already mentioned, how about Falmouth? Not far from Newquay really, not sure what Lands End is like nowadays but used to be somewhere to go, Padstow, St Agnes, Newquay/Watergate bay :)

We're in SE Cornwall so about 45m-1hr away from Newquay (my sister lives there so do the trip fairly regularly!)

I went camping at Perranporth about 10 year ago and it was a beautiful little town.

A friend of the family goes every year on the 'Run To The Sun' and he loves it.

I went camping at Perranporth about 10 year ago and it was a beautiful little town.

A friend of the family goes every year on the 'Run To The Sun' and he loves it.

Thats where my mate has booked the boat from :thumb:

Thanks folks, thats giving me something to look forward to for next week.

Food wise I am not worried, i will sniff out places to eat,

Thats where my mate has booked the boat from :thumb:

Thanks folks, thats giving me something to look forward to for next week.

Food wise I am not worried, i will sniff out places to eat,

Bolingey Inn is very near Perranporth. Good food:D

Just check the menu as they dumb it down in the summer (but I think just the six week holidays) for the tourists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom