Planning to buy an Argocat 6x6 - any owners here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prprandall51

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi
I am planning to buy an Argocat or similar 6x6 ATV to run on some swamp I have bought. I am struggling to identify any UK-based resources for these vehicles (forums, owners clubs, etc.) and I wondered if any forum members have one or any experience of the vehicles or similar (MAX, etc.) and would be kind enough to give some advice either about the vehicles themselves or dealers, spare parts availability, etc.

Many thanks
Philip

Thanks, Dieselman. I know of that site - they are a dealer and I expect I will end up talking to them soon - but first I wanted to find out a little more about them via a user community or via a chat with an existing owner.

Many years ago a friend of my fathers had one, partly for fun and partly for business. As a teenager I remember it being huge fun, easier to drive than you would expect with its tank-like controls. It seemed to break down frequently, though usually repairable at the road (or swamp) side. With lots of rude words and exertion.

Sounds like fun:)

Many years ago a friend of my fathers had one, partly for fun and partly for business. As a teenager I remember it being huge fun, easier to drive than you would expect with its tank-like controls. It seemed to break down frequently, though usually repairable at the road (or swamp) side. With lots of rude words and exertion.

Sounds like fun:)

Thanks for the reply.

I first read about them in "Speed and Power" - a magazine for boys in the 1970's - and have wanted one ever since. I am hoping to avoid buying one that breaks down regularly....

I think they are multiple chain drive-- maybe toothed belt now??? and the chains keep breaking/coming off as they age. Low pressure flotation type tyres may be prone to damage as well so check their condition carefully if buying second hand.[YOUTUBE]MNdTFJRhhKE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Impressive capability but useless in deep snow without tracks. Second hand ones can be a bit of a minefield. If I remember correctly you should get one with duplex drive chains. Variety of engines but get the most powerful one you can afford. More modern units have engines by Kawasaki, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler.

Of course if you were really serious...
[YOUTUBE]p_iup2jXQqI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback about duplex chains - I will look into that. I had hoped to go for an older one but I agree with what you are saying about engine power - I note that thy have got progressively more powerful over the years.

I don't need snow capability (though a set of tracks would be a bit of fun, I don't need a road-legal version so I can't see snow capability being put to use).

That beast in the video looks impressive, but it looks like you need a whole farm to play on and I only have a small bog!

I think they are multiple chain drive-- maybe toothed belt now??? and the chains keep breaking/coming off as they age. Low pressure flotation type tyres may be prone to damage as well so check their condition carefully if buying second hand.[YOUTUBE]MNdTFJRhhKE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I cannot afford one of the latest models, unfortunately so it will have to be chain drive. Good point about the tyres - they probably need extra careful inspection; I believe they aren't cheap to replace, either.

That is absurdly good value for £8000!! Sadly I have a small bog that I would like to protect, rather than a tank range I can just tear up.:(

Damn, I was hoping to blag a ride. Those 202s are hilarious, they'll swim, go through deep snow, tackle mud. If you search the tracks are ridiculously cheap as they're being sold off as military surplus.

I'd speak with some of the keepers of large sporting estates.

They use them to transport people for stalking (deer) and shoots.

Personally if you have a small patch of ground I would not bother with an argocat.

You'll completely upset the eco balance of the area and likely kill off wildlife- in reality boglife (that you can't see)

Pointless IMO unless you need to get somewhere for a specific reason.

You'll completely upset the eco balance of the area and likely kill off wildlife- in reality boglife (that you can't see)

Pointless IMO unless you need to get somewhere for a specific reason.

I agree, get the 202 instead because it doesnt really matter. :D

I agree, get the 202 instead because it doesnt really matter. :D

I agree with you, Spike. So tempting....

In fact, the Argo treads very lightly (significantly less ground pressure than a human) so I think I am doing my bit by not going for the 202.

And, it's only a swamp because a major open drain from the A3 flows over the land so it's not exactly an SSSI.

M & J Irving

Cargo Beck Cargo, Carlisle, Cumbria CA6 4BB
Anglo Scottish Border, Hadrian's Wall, Lake District
p: 01228674664

Try these guys. No website I'm afraid but they generally hold a good stock of Argo's from old to brand new and they have clients all over the UK.

My wife thinks we have bought it to protect the views from our house down to the river.

We have actually bought it so that I can buy an Argocat.:devil::devil:

They just don't understand men, do they...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/dk.gif

If this is a wetland bog, why does it need protection from building on, unless you think it might get drained.

Build a dam in it as well to create a pool..wildlife, especially migrating birds, love water.

Thanks for the reply.

I first read about them in "Speed and Power" - a magazine for boys in the 1970's - and have wanted one ever since. I am hoping to avoid buying one that breaks down regularly....
SPEED & POWER!!! What a great magazine, have still got all my copies somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom