Plans for my CLK 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
My CLK 350 Sport Cab is now 10 years old. 50k miles, perfect history, tonne of optional extras. 

Passage of time and a recent unfortunate incident involving bird lime and subsequent damage to paint lacquer mean that the old girl is not looking quite 100%. 

The car is still very smart and presentable as it has been well looked after by me and with a bit of effort would be "mint" once again. 

I've no intention to sell the car for the foreseeable future (I would say ever, but I'm sure at some point it will be moved on), but it's definitely a keeper for the next 5 - 10 years. 

So I'm looking to bring it back up to A1 cosmetic standard. Mecahnically it wants for nothing as everything is done on the button. 

I appreciate the car has limited value and I am going to do this "for me" as it doesn't make much sense financially.  

If someone offered me a newer E-Class cab as a swap i wouldn't take it. I adore the 209 cab in Sport trim as it is just such a good looking car, I just don't want to change it. 

So my plan is as follows: 

- full bonnet respray to repair damaged lacquer and two large stone dents. With blending into wings. Budget £350. 

- alloy wheels refurb. They're not really damaged at all but starting to bubble here and there and flake causing small pressure losses over time. Budget £300. 

- repair tiny scrape to bumper corner. Budget £100. 

- full machine polish and total detail by trusted mobile valeter. Budget £150. 

That will bring the car back to 99.9% concourse. I reckon it will cost around £900 - £1,000 to do, but to me it's worth it. 

What say you chaps? Is this fastidiousness on an old Merc justified, or am I being OCD?!

I’d say do it, as you like the car & dont want to change in the foreseeable future.

Also, £150 for a full machine polish and detail? Be careful because I don’t think you’ll get a very good paint correction for £150.

I did this to my 2011 xc70 last year, owner the car from new and have done 150k ish, refurbed the wheels, tidied the paint and had it cleaned inside properly, voila! New car!

- full bonnet respray to repair damaged lacquer and two large stone dents. With blending into wings. Budget £350. 

- alloy wheels refurb. They're not really damaged at all but starting to bubble here and there and flake causing small pressure losses over time. Budget £300. 

- repair tiny scrape to bumper corner. Budget £100. 

- full machine polish and total detail by trusted mobile valeter. Budget £150. 

That will bring the car back to 99.9% concourse. I reckon it will cost around £900 - £1,000 to do, but to me it's worth it. 

What say you chaps? Is this fastidiousness on an old Merc justified, or am I being OCD?!

I spent about a grand on my 2006, 200,000miles S211 last year on paintwork, wheel refurb etc. The car was spot on to drive but looking tired. It was well worth it to me as it's a keeper.

I’m probably the wrong person to ask because I’ve spent thousands of pounds getting both my cars like brand new...

The E class has done 232,000 miles and wants for nothing mechanically or cosmetically now.

The CLK is on 140,000 and again, I’ve had most of the car resprayed and again it mechanically wants for nothing...

CLK320

I did have a spreadsheet where I added up the costs, however looking at it genuinely made me feel like crying. As I could have had much newer cars for the amount I’ve spent :D.

Sure, it makes no sense economically. It’s just money after all, do what makes you happy. We are only here once. :thumb:

I spent about a grand on my 2006, 200,000miles S211 last year on paintwork, wheel refurb etc. The car was spot on to drive but looking tired. It was well worth it to me as it's a keeper.

We think the same :)

Got any pics? Here’s mine... (sorry for the thread derailment :p)

View media item 7908

Man maths has been approved by the forum! Thanks gentlemen!

Not really man maths. Getting max use out of it is surely the best value. Certainly cheaper than buying another used car or the depreciation on a new one.

I refurbed my wheels in pairs when the tyres wore out. Ordered new from camskill, get the refurber to fit them while off anyway. Worked out a bit cheaper.

I've slowly got my CLK into almost mint condition. My only worry really is that I would get pennies from the insurer if it got written off despite investing a fair bit to make it last a good few years.

Not really man maths. Getting max use out of it is surely the best value. Certainly cheaper than buying another used car or the depreciation on a new one.

I refurbed my wheels in pairs when the tyres wore out. Ordered new from camskill, get the refurber to fit them while off anyway. Worked out a bit cheaper.

I've slowly got my CLK into almost mint condition. My only worry really is that I would get pennies from the insurer if it got written off despite investing a fair bit to make it last a good few years.

Did you ever fit the heated seats?

It sounds like it’s worth doing to me, I say do it

My 2004 C230 k goes in for £500 worth of body paint next week and the next job will be wheel refurb. I'll probably end up paying more than the car is worth but it's a keeper so what the hell.
If you feel you want to do then do it, it will make you happy

We've decided / have to keep our qashqai for another 2 or so years.
New mats, thorough external clean and some treatment, a near gear knob and fresh tyres have given it a facelift.

When you're keeping the car a few hundred or so freshening it up makes real sense.

And on a CLK cab, even moreso....

Before and after photos?

I would spend the money doing up the 350. I did the opposite last year and swapped my CLK 350 Cab for a new C200 Cab. It was a mistake, the old car was better quality, better built and the V6 is so much better than the 4 pot turbo.

Did you ever fit the heated seats?
No I want air cooled seats instead now :cool:

I've been thinking about finding an electric, heated seat on eBay and fitting that, just not sure how to go about the electrics.

A few £££ spent on car you know to be mechanically sound to improve its cosmetic condition is probably lower risk than swapping for replacement second hand that's only a few years younger. A new / almost new will result in high depreciation. Think about how long you will keep, depreciation, probable maintenance and the quality of car you want to drive. It's about total cost of ownership not delrecidepre or maintenance in isolstion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom