PLASMA, LCD, CRT or PROJECTOR ? ? ? ?

What is your prefered main TV type? ONE chioce only

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
This is not a post for discussion - simply a place to record your preference for your main TV set type.
Many apologies if this poll has been run before - in which case please remove............

30 day poll.

Last edited:
Yopu have missed one out
apparatus.jpg
firsttv.jpg

What size are we talking and is it the main TV for the family, or a separate item in a cinema room? Sorry for raising these points but my vote is a valuable item that I will not give away easily :)

Projector for a dedicated Cinema room
Small LCD for a small den
Large plasma for a very large living room

Regards
John

What size are we talking and is it the main TV for the family, or a separate item in a cinema room? Sorry for raising these points but my vote is a valuable item that I will not give away easily :)

Projector for a dedicated Cinema room
Small LCD for a small den
Large plasma for a very large living room

Regards
John

The simple answer would be I guess, whatever YOU have in your main living room or use the most. Whichever type you PREFER.
I have 2 types in my home, an LCD in the lounge, and smaller CRT's in other rooms.
I hope that answers your question, if not then please feel free to ask again.

Can I just say - without wanting to upset anyone - that one of the most annoying things I find when people discuss the different TV/display options is lack of factual knowledge regarding the different technologies :( Not shown on this poll or any of the posts here so far though :eek:

Eg, 'Bloke in the pub tells me all them plasma tellies only last 5 years before you 'ave to regas 'em :rolleyes: :mad: ' etc

LCD is better / Plasma is better etc etc. What makes them better? Most people won't have a clue. Ask most sales assistants in the big stores and they won't know either 'It's "HD ready" mate' (etc etc)

ALL factual information is most warmly welcomed :bannana: , but I hate it when people preach wrong information - it's most contagious and misleading! Obviously personal opinion of style/value for money etc will vary from one person to the next, indeed people will prefer the image quality of one set to another, but if it's a technical statement please ensure it's accurate.

And no, Plasma TVs don't 'lose their gas' after 5 years, you can't 're-gas them' and they will typically last as long as any other set - I think some are rated at 60,000-100,000 hours for half life brightness - isn't that longer than most people ever keep them? 25-42 years (!), and they'll still work fine (so long as everything else does!) :cool:

Will

Can I just say - without wanting to upset anyone - that one of the most annoying things I find when people discuss the different TV/display options is lack of factual knowledge regarding the different technologies :( Not shown on this poll or any of the posts here so far though :eek:

Eg, 'Bloke in the pub tells me all them plasma tellies only last 5 years before you 'ave to regas 'em :rolleyes: :mad: ' etc

LCD is better / Plasma is better etc etc. What makes them better? Most people won't have a clue. Ask most sales assistants in the big stores and they won't know either 'It's "HD ready" mate' (etc etc)

ALL factual information is most warmly welcomed :bannana: , but I hate it when people preach wrong information - it's most contagious and misleading! Obviously personal opinion of style/value for money etc will vary from one person to the next, indeed people will prefer the image quality of one set to another, but if it's a technical statement please ensure it's accurate.

And no, Plasma TVs don't 'lose their gas' after 5 years, you can't 're-gas them' and they will typically last as long as any other set - I think some are rated at 60,000-100,000 hours for half life brightness - isn't that longer than most people ever keep them? 25-42 years (!), and they'll still work fine (so long as everything else does!) :cool:

Will
I do not take an active part very much re quality on these or the sound threads purely on the grounds that I do not know what you see or hear, if there was a right or best answer then only one set of loudspeakers would sell, and only one TV, still at least the quality is not being asked here

For our Lounge we will be looking at a Plasma set when our Trusty old normal CRT gives up the ghost.

As mentioned though, make, size, looks, sound, features etc will vary between all of us so thats your choice. What you find nice other may not.

As for not knowing what's best for a 'lay' person it can be quite daunting lots of info, reports, guides, magazine reviews all sugesting different models what to look for what they should have, features needed etc...

Even if I do all the research there is the main deciding factor would be Mrs A210..... if it doesn't look right no way I'm getting it in the lounge...

:) :)

Sorry - this needs more details -- size is important...........

under 40" most likely LCD over 42" Plasma ---

So can't vote without size requirements

I voted Plasma. Currently have a rear projector TV (perhaps that should be on the list!). When I bought it about 5/6 years ago it was the only cost effective way to buy a 40" TV. IIRC 40" Plasmas were about £10k when I bought my TV ;)

I'd go for a Projector (as opposed to rear projector TV) for a dedicated Home Cinema setup, in my view most projectors aren't suitable for daily viewing as the lamps aren't long life enough. The replacement bulbs on most projectors are close to 75% of te cost of the projector (or were last time I checked for mine...)

I have a 1920x1080 (1080P) 42" LCD, which is absoloutely fine with fast-moving stuff e.g. PS3 gaming.

My 'home cinema' is very small - 2 seater sofa, telly and dolby, loud enough to annoy anyone who happens to be in the house at the same time!

Effective though, and I use it for PC-hookup too when not on my laptop. Xbox which is currently in the lounge is coming into the same room too!

Bought a 37" LG LCD a couple of years back. Still very happy with it, of course they are about 1/3rd the cost now - that's the price you pay for being an early adopter...

Cheers,

Gaz

LCD every time.... If you turn off backlight it will last even longer and there is very little difference on image quality.
AV companies supply me with LCD tv's i spec for my exhibition stand clients... as thay last longer have less glare... slightly lighter for fixing to walls

LCD every time.... If you turn off backlight it will last even longer and there is very little difference on image quality.

Yup our Sharp has a range of presets for the video settings including an 'eco' one where the backlight is turned right down, and there isn't much difference.

Got a 50 inch Samsung Plasma in Toad Hall ...

I know all the whys and wherefores about the difference in technology , but i just prefer plasma ....

Never have got on with LCD myself , my parents have a Sharp LCD and it's quite nice.

Poop Poop !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom