PLASMA, LCD, CRT or PROJECTOR ? ? ? ?

What is your prefered main TV type? ONE chioce only

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For regular telly on a large scale , my DLP projector makes it all nice and smooth.

Pays your money takes your choice :) Can't beat a 100in telly tho :)

Do you still get a SHARP picture :confused::):D

Yup!

The amount of adjustment and customisation is pretty intimidating actually. There are 6(?) preset lots of settings (all customisable), plus 'user' ones. Stored separately for each input (analogue, digital, VCR, PS3, etc.). And of course it's all fairly subjective ... there's no 'right' or 'wrong' picture!

Got a 50 inch Samsung Plasma in Toad Hall ...

I know all the whys and wherefores about the difference in technology , but i just prefer plasma ....

Never have got on with LCD myself , my parents have a Sharp LCD and it's quite nice.

Poop Poop !!

Plasma for me too. I've got a 42" pioneer that I bought 2 yrs ago - fantastic quality picture and when watching HD out of this world.
Am replacing the 32" CRT in the lounge shortly and am definitely going with plasma and not LCD, even though I only want a 37" screen size - picture quality is better, IMHO, particularly for sport.

Sorry - this needs more details -- size is important...........

under 40" most likely LCD over 42" Plasma ---

So can't vote without size requirements

im with you on this one! over 42" plasma has the edge

plus now i know the prices have come down a lot over the last few years,
but the quality of some of the LCD/Plasma's (meaning resolution) is not as good.
And even some of the components used in them are of a lower quality too.

I found unless your spending about £999.00 on a HD.
Then res is gonna be 1280 x 768 and not the [SIZE=-1]1920 x 1080.

I found panasonic to have some very good plasma TVs
[/SIZE]

plasma for me to as my main one great pics ...have a 40"lcd samsung as well nowhere near as good as the plasma but still a good pic

its not so much the TV ...but the signal its receiving ... the amount of people talking about hi-def TV ...and after a while you find out they have just SD ...... mind boggles ...

37" SAMSUNG LCD TV HDMI .WII COMPONENT ...PC ....
SAMSUNG DVD RECORDER UPSCALE HDMI ....V+ BOX 80 gig hard drive record 2 programmes while watch a third upscaled HDMI....:D the lot £830.00

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
its not so much the TV ...but the signal its receiving ... the amount of people talking about hi-def TV ...and after a while you find out they have just SD ...... mind boggles ...

Absolutely.

I wanted 1080P for my PS3 (gaming & Blu-ray), but we watch bog standard Freeview stuff most of the time so that had to look OK too. A good number of high-def screens struggle with SD input.

Just been told that SONY have stopped producing plasma sets and now only make LCD. Is this the way forward, or have they got it wrong again like they did with the VHS / Betamax fiasco?

Just been told that SONY have stopped producing plasma sets and now only make LCD. Is this the way forward, or have they got it wrong again like they did with the VHS / Betamax fiasco?

The trouble Sony found themselves in is that they have historically been at the higher quality end of televisions, think Trinitron. However in regards to plasma sets they couldn't compete on units shipped. If people wanted high end they bought Panasonic or Pioneer, lower end they didn't buy Sony.

From 2004 - 2005 Sony plasma sales fell by two thirds in the USA (their largest market), along with the fact that they don't manufacture the panels, it was inevitable they would switch to LCD.

Mike

Sony started instigating plasma withdrawl since 2005, a drawn out process.

Mike

During my quest to try to resolve my plasma burn issues, it transpires that LCD do suffer from similar problems but if you don't look hard enough, you will not see it.

My advice is buy the TV that you are most happiest with.

John

During my quest to try to resolve my plasma burn issues, it transpires that LCD do suffer from similar problems

I'm not really in agreement with that. The burn-in issue is a physically different process for LCD compared to plasma or CRT. Without going into details, LCD is a lot less susceptible and the image persistency itself is less permanent than in the case of phosphor burn in with plasma and CRT.

Some salesmen try to claim that LCD is no different from plasma in this respect, but that is just not true. LCD is both quantitatively and qualitatively a lot better than plasma when it comes to image persistency.

I'm not really in agreement with that. The burn-in issue is a physically different process for LCD compared to plasma or CRT. Without going into details, LCD is a lot less susceptible and the image persistency itself is less permanent than in the case of phosphor burn in with plasma and CRT.

Some salesmen try to claim that LCD is no different from plasma in this respect, but that is just not true. LCD is both quantitatively and qualitatively a lot better than plasma when it comes to image persistency.

This guy would disagree -

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/lcd-screen-burn.html

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom