Plasma or LCD ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
I am looking at buying a large TV or display and I reckon Plasma is the way to go for anything over 37"

Found this : http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/home/

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/vieraexperience/v4/flash.html?iso=en-UK#6

We have a 42" fujitsu plasma screen (no tv tuner or sound) but have agreed to leave it with the house when we move - it was a deal clincher hence being on the prowl for a replacement 42" TV with 1080p definition capability

any ideas of current offerings from anyone?

I am looking at buying a large TV or display and I reckon Plasma is the way to go for anything over 37"

Found this : http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/home/

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/vieraexperience/v4/flash.html?iso=en-UK#6

We have a 42" fujitsu plasma screen (no tv tuner or sound) but have agreed to leave it with the house when we move - it was a deal clincher hence being on the prowl for a replacement 42" TV with 1080p definition capability

any ideas of current offerings from anyone?

Hi Steve

Not sure if it's any help, but I can recommend Richer Sounds in Prestwich (on the left M60 bound) for advice and a good deal. Always found them very knowledgeable, honest (so much so it cost them a sale not long ago) and have good pricing. Their warranty is brilliant too - about a third of everybody else and it is a good warranty. Just got a new DVD recorder/hard disk at 2 years 11 months!

Speak to Andrew there - tell him Steve sent ya!

Oh, and you can park outside!

LCDs in general have a slower response time (4-12ms), compared to a plasma (>1ms). A longer response time creates blur on fast panning shots. In general, plasmas give a better movie experience, but LCDs are less suceptible to burn.

I have the large Pioneer that I'm very pleased with. We don't have a local John Lewis, but most folks try buying from them as they allegedly offer free extended warranty and will price match any advertised deals??

Regards
John

Absolutely right - LCD is ok up to about 32" after that Plasma rocks - I have a Panasonic 32" Viera HD LCD on the wall in the bedroom, and tbh, the pic on the Panny Viera 42" Plasma downstairs knocks it for 6!

Mike

There are relatively few 1080p TVs around yet, I'm eyeing up a Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 which has won several group tests (beating plasmas) ... but that's only 40".

Edit: neither of the Panasonic 42" plasmas on the link above are 1080p - they're only 1024 x 768 pixels. 1080p requires 1920x1080 pixels.

Last edited:
btb 500, thanks, but the spec for the 42" is as follows:

42 Inch Viera HD Plasma with Cabinet Stand, V-real Technology For Ultimate High Picture Quality.

V-real Technology For Ultimate High Picture Quality

1080p Digital Processing Chip-Set
1080p Digital Re-mastering Processor
3,072 Equivalent Steps of Gradation
Max. 10,000 : 1 Contrast
HD Optimizer
Advanced 3D Colour management
Motion Pattern Noise Reduction
Sub-Pixel Controller

Number of Pixels
786,432 (1,024 x 768) pixels

So I am a bit confused now about what 1080p actually means . The panny seems to contradict itself ???:confused:

Might have to go for the 50" then - thats got 1920 x 1080 :)

glojo & gsm guy , glad youre pleased with the pioneers -
I quite like the look of them so far from the web stuff.

Last edited:
glojo & gsm guy , glad youre pleased with the pioneers -
I quite like the look of them so far from the web stuff.
Confession time :eek: :eek:

I was all in favour of buying the more expensive 1080 Plasma but I had an excellent conversation with the sales manager and he talked me out of it and recommended thenext model down which is the 507XD.

I am a prisoner to my TV and am fortunate enough to have Sky HD. Some of the HD channels are mind blowing, the Space Station documentary is something I have watched several times, the detail\definition is simply a different generation. I was told the more expensive 1080 cannot offer any better detail but I might have been sold a dummy and cannot comment either way.

I don't usually like recommending anything in case it backfires, so I will simply say I am dead chuffed with my Pioneer and it knocks the spots off my previous Sony 36" top of the range normal type TV. :eek: :eek:

Go with what you like is the bottom line. :)

Good luck with the decision.
John

Pioneer or Panasonic are the best for plasmas...............

So I am a bit confused now about what 1080p actually means

A 1080p TV can display (at least) 1920x1080, they tend to be pretty expensive.

Many lower resolution "HD Ready" TVs can accept 1080p input (of course there's not much of this around yet), but they can only physically display (say) 1024 x 768 so the image has to be converted to have less detail.

Depending on the screen size and the viewing distance you may or may not be able to tell the difference!

My Sony Bravia 42" LCD is the biz on HD which sky recommends at the moment

There are relatively few 1080p TVs around yet, I'm eyeing up a Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 which has won several group tests (beating plasmas) ... but that's only 40".

Edit: neither of the Panasonic 42" plasmas on the link above are 1080p - they're only 1024 x 768 pixels. 1080p requires 1920x1080 pixels.

You have the TV that I'm currently trying to convince my other half we should get! I think 1080p is the way forward, especially as I plan to use the TV as a PC screen as well so we can have a PC in the living room.

I'm glad you're happy with it. Personal recommendations are always better than salesman speak. :)

You have the TV that I'm currently trying to convince my other half we should get! I think 1080p is the way forward, especially as I plan to use the TV as a PC screen as well so we can have a PC in the living room.

I'm glad you're happy with it. Personal recommendations are always better than salesman speak. :)

Hang on - I don't have it yet ... it's the one I'm eyeing up for possible purchase in the near future! I have a PS3, which is one of the few sources of 1080p at the moment (movies on BluRay, and a few games).

Buying a very expensive van put the TV upgrade on the back burner for a bit.

Hang on - I don't have it yet ... it's the one I'm eyeing up for possible purchase in the near future! I have a PS3, which is one of the few sources of 1080p at the moment (movies on BluRay, and a few games).

Buying a very expensive van put the TV upgrade on the back burner for a bit.

My mistake - eye to brain error!

When I do get one it would probably be at the same time as a PS3, which will probably be when the new Grand Theft Auto game comes out, which thinking about it will mean I'll have to part in excess of 1500 quid to play a computer game.

Maybe the other half has a point after all... :eek:

A recent Which? report pointed out that plasmas consume far more energy than LCDs. Its best buy is the LCD Panasonic Viera (32"). Its next three are all LCDs (Sony 40, JVC 46, Sony 40) all scoring higher on image quality than the Pioneer 42" plasma at no. 5; the only other plasma, the Samsung 32, comes in at no. 12. The John Lewis group are promoting the Viera heavily.

Until the signal:noise ratio of TV content improves, my Sony and B&O CRTs will do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom