Plasma TV fault...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

I have a Samsung 40" PS42S5H Plasma TV.

Tonight whist watching a DVD, some lines appeared across the bottom half of the screen and then about 5 seconds later, the screen made a pop/crackle noise and now just a mixture of red,green,blue dots appear on the screen.

Checked all connections and they are good - it happens on all sources (sky, Xbox, DVD etc) and i also dont see any of the TV on-screen menu text, volume display etc anymore.

Sound is fine though.

Any rough ideas? A quick search on the net suggests disconnecting it from the mains overnight to see if stuff "resets". Sounds unliklely, but worth a shot so is what i'm doing now.
Anyone any advice on this? Is the TV likely to be knackered??

:(

Thanks

Derek

Did it happen when you dropped it when decorating ?

<whistles innocently>

Sounds pretty terminal I'm afraid. Problem is TVs are so cheap now and repairs so expensive that the sums usually indicate buying a replacement is the best solution in the longer term. How old is the TV? I assume its out of warranty?

Did it happen when you dropped it when decorating ?

<whistles innocently>

its possible if it doesnt come back on tommorow :(

It continued to be faulty thismorning.

I'll phone and get someone to come and take a look.

The TV is about 4 years old. Looks that around £600 would get me a similar replacement, so I guess max of £200 to spend on a repair to this one.... :confused:

The TV is about 4 years old. Looks that around £600 would get me a similar replacement, so I guess max of £200 to spend on a repair to this one.... :confused:

That's the trouble. £200 of repairs presumably including a call-out charge is very little. The outcome is therefore that if there's a very simple fault, loose connection (from when you dropped it;)) etc it's worth doing, but anything else and it's one for the tip. Terrible waste.

I'd be in a similar position if anything happened to mine - 40" Sony Bravia LCD that cost me well over £2k about 3-4 years ago. Equivalent now about a quarter of that. But I'm still trying to get Mrs PXW to look seriously at 50/52" screens in time for the World Cup next summer so I can lose another £1500 or so over the next three years.....!

Careful chappies .... insurance fraud and all that ....

What was that ? an octopus ate it ? :D

That happened to me once, dropped the TV whilst moving it to a safe location during decorating:rolleyes:

Rang my insurance company and a new TV was delivered to my door the very next day:bannana:

That must be a very common problem , the same happened to me a few years back .

They are heavy these tellys ...

My daughter went through a fad of cleaning things. Unfortunately she decided to clean the TV with Jiff or similar when it was only 3 weeks old. Insurance company replaced it, but did make sure that they picked up the original at the same time. Lorry Driver did not want to wait for the proper boxes, so just slung it in the back loose:eek:

Was a genuine claim - tried leaving with the stain but it bugged everytime that I looked at it.

wasent you playing on the Wii at the time! 8)

That happened to me once, dropped the TV whilst moving it to a safe location during decorating:rolleyes:
:

Hmm, I've got the decorators in at the moment.....must warn them to be 'careful'....

A friend of mine just had their plasma replaced after their two year old daughter smacked the remote control on the screen.

I had a TV replaced about 5 years ago after my son poured coke down the back of the tv.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just had their plasma replaced after their two year old daughter smacked the remote control on the screen.

I had a TV replaced about 5 years ago after my son poured coke down the back of the tv.

interesting..... (reaching for my file of documents) ;)

I *might* be worth a punt to have a go at the original supplier under Sale of Goods act. It should last 5yrs, really. But it's likely to be a lot of hassle.

re insurance claim: We had an accidental damage claim a few years ago when one of the lids spilt nail varnish on our living room carpet. I assumed the ins co would be able to clean it, or even re-tuft it (it's a wide carpet and was pretty new) but the loss adjuster they sent took one look and deemed it should be replaced.

However the premium jumped up and I got turned down by some companies when I shopped around for quotes.

An accidental damage claim for a 4yr old big screen TV must just scream "dodgy" to them.

I think manufacturers guarantee is 1 year ( 2 tops ) ...

You only get a five year guarantee if you buy it from John Lewis AFAIK.

I just had the 'scare letter' telling me that the 2 year guarantee was coming to an end on my 50 inch plasma. Telling me it would cost hundreds to fix if it went wrong and if i didn't take out the extended guarantee for about £250 !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom