Plasma Tv

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Matt32AMG, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Matt32AMG

Matt32AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
    Just had my new Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-LX5090 installed

I bought this to replace my Pioneer PDP 433HDE I obtained some 6 years ago at some horrific price, (£4250 seems to ring a bell somewhere in the back of my mind :crazy: :eek: the price one pays for new technology I suppose)

Anyway and despite being able to display HD signals on the old Plasma, SKY deems that it can't, so after half an hour of broadcast I get a message that says your display is not compatible, that irrespective of my obtaining an HDMI to Component In adapter. Which is really irritating when trying to record something on SKY plus. You get half an hour of the program then the rest as an incompatible message on a blue screen.

Needless to say I didn't trade that out as they insulted me with the trade in offer, so that has gone into my home gym so I can watch telly instead of working out :D just can't watch full HD broadcasts on it.

If you are in the market for a new Plasma and can spring the dosh go check this out, it is simply stunning! Particularly Blue Ray but even normal HD transmission or digital you will see the difference. :) :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. kwakdonut

kwakdonut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Frod Mundano TDCi, Kawasaki z650
    No thanks, my Sony 40" LCD is the hounds gonads!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    Matt32AMG

Car:
    Obviously your choice, I have a Sony Bravia 37 inch LCD in the bedroom which I concede is good, but not as good as the latest purchase :)

4. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

I'm also very impressed with my Sony 40" W series?

Blue ray is stunning and even normal sky is good.

Thing is now home and instaled I have nothing else but a 20" dell screen to comapare it with.

More than happy with it though, just need a sony amp now for the surround system.

5. OP
    OP
    Matt32AMG

Car:
    Forgot to mention the new Plasma is hooked into my Pioneer cinema surround system and a Sony BDP-S500 Blue Ray Disc Player which seems pretty versatile in terms of functionality it affords

6. whizzkid11

whizzkid11 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Congrats - the Pioneer 5090 and 6090 are the only plasmas to have at the moment.

Don't forget to spend the £250 to get it calibrated after 3/4 weeks of usage - that makes one hell of a difference. Trust me....

I am sure youhave checked already but have a look at the avforums - and speak to the guys from Borehamwood - the come out to you and calibrate the tv in your house in your conditions - takes about 2-3 hours band costs £250 or a bit more dependant on where you live. But it will be the best £250 you will spend....

7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I don't really understand your problem. Do you mean you can record an HD program on the sky plus box and then when you try to play the recorded program in its entirety on the Pioneer you only get 1/2 an hour's worth before getting an error message?

8. Aoraki

Aoraki Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C250 Cdi AMG Sport Coupe
    If a tv needs calibrating as often as a monitor (ie monthly) it may be more prudent to look at these.... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1012108

9. MikeL

MikeL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI
    Don't forget the Pioneer KRP-500A and 600A, these are essentially the same (with a slicker menu system than the LX) panel but with all the tuning and connections in a separate box.

According to some this gives a slight picture performance, due to all the video processing components being separate from the restrictions of a flat panel.

From a practical point of view you get a panel that is only 64mm deep and if you are hanging from a wall there will be only a couple of cables visible.

Mike

10. The G.F.P

The G.F.P Hardcore MB Enthusiast

yup

my KDL40D3000 is the best tv in the world (well almost)

11. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Im using Howards old Hitachi 42" Plasma that is older than Morse Code & weights 3 metric tonnes.

It has 4 fans which make it sound like your on the Heathrow Flightpath and only does SD.

It does however do Component 480p which makes my Wii look amazing :)

12. oldcro

oldcro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
  13. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    Guys - setting up the picture on your TV is easy. Find something you want to watch, turn on the lights or open or shut curtains to your particular taste, adjust TV controls until picture is how you like it, stuff anyone elses opinion, tell them to get there own.

14. whizzkid11

whizzkid11 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    thats the place i got my telly from, the guy that calibrated my set is the guy in the 2nd from bottom video

15. Deker

Deker Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 3ltr Jaguar XFS
    One of the best bits of AV advice ever, other people can only get it somewhere near perfect, their eyes/ears/computer/gadget isn't the same as what you have

16. kusanku

kusanku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180cdi Avant Garde
    I have been thinking about getting a new TV, but my problem is where to put it. Personally, I fancy a 50 inch chav-screen, although Mrs. K won't like it. Problem is where to put it. The only suitable wall has a radiator in the middle, and we have out current TV in the corner. My options would be to have it in the centre would either be to have it on a stand in front of the radiator, or wall-mounted above the radiator. Would either of these arrangements work, or would the TV just overheat and pack up?

17. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

When we were looking out TV has to go in the corner of the lounge due to the shape and the fire place would be too high.

We looked at 37" 40" 46" and 50"

The price difference between them was not really an issue (although the step from the 46" sony to 50" was..)

In the end I got the dimentions of the TV and call me sad but cut out a large card board box we had at work. Thern placed it where it would go. Too be honest it looked huge (our old TV that blew up was a 32" crt, but since it blew we were using a 20" tv)

In the end we decided on 40" and too be honest it suits our needs, any larger would be into the bay window and look wrong (it has to be wife friendly) and too be fair even I agreed.

If you have a TV room or starting from scratch with a 4 wall room no fireplace etc.. then yes I would have gone 50" and sunk eveything in the walls. As it is I'm please with out set up.

Also don't forget if you go large you need to be sat at a sensible distance away otherwise the quality will be poor.

[​IMG]

18. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I love the gaffer tape holding the rug in place :D

You'd get a better stereo effect if you moved the left speaker over to cover the wires, and the right speaker about the same distance away.

keeping them all together defeats the object really :)

19. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Rug?

Its a coffe table with corner protectors for the little one :)

I'd get better sound effect when I have a new amp that the speakers are hooked up to :) currently just using the TV as sold my silver / gold Sony QS amp to buy a new HDMI One :)

Your right the speakers are normally further apart one near where the sky aerial comes in on the left near fireplace.

Thanks though :)

20. kusanku

kusanku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180cdi Avant Garde
    Actually, it's the speaker issue that bothers me. We're got a Sony home theatre kit, but with the TV in the corner, the speakers are not far enough apart to get decent stereo imagery.

Tags: