Plastic fascias and soffits

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by kinaero, Apr 10, 2014.

1. kinaero

kinaero Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220CDI AMG SPORT Estate
    My house is coming up to 14 years old now, and I am considering having the wood fascias capped by plastics, the wood still seems to be in good condition.

So I don't need to pay someone hundreds of pounds to have it painted every couple of years.

Any thoughts?

Could anyone also recommend a decent company in Manchester?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

2. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I had my wood painted 12 years ago...doesn't need redoing yet. A quality paint job will not need redoing that often.

Otherwise, a lot of people like the plastic, and seems to have no problems after it's been installed.

3. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    There are two different types/thicknesses of facia.

One simply caps the wood and is around 5mm to 8mm depending on the manufacturer, whilst the other replaces the wood and can be from around 16mm upwards.

If the wood is sound, capping is much easier/cheaper.

4. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    Agree with John^^^ Had mine capped over a Cpl of years ago, as the wood was sound, still looks spot on. :)

5. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0 M-Sport & BMW 120d Sport Plus Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8 SE (sorry, guys)
    Capping the wood will last as long as the wood stays solid - so it's important to just cover the visible wood surface so it can breathe.

Replacing the wood might last longer - as long as the uPVC lasts - but from ground level they both look the same.

I had a new build that had uPVC soffits - built 1999 - still like new. No maintenance - great.

6. craig1912

craig1912 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250 Sport
    Had ours capped 5/6 years ago and it's fine. Also got fed up with painting as paint lasted at most 4/5 years before it started looking scruffy