Plastic headlamp issues? / discolouration? / peeling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOR8A

Car
W212 E63 PPP AMG
Hello all.

I will keep this as brief as possible.

Are your headlamps still looking like they did the day they came out of the showroom? Are they looking a bit sorry for themselves? Spoiling the look of an otherwise very well looked after vehicle? Mottled and patchy or looking a bit yellow?

I tried to get my headlamp issue sorted through my warranty and Mercedes were having none of it. I'm sure I have read on this forum about dealing with this issue DIY style, which I know will be very hard and time consuming! I have now after repairing many of these types of lamps developed a very effective way of making these headlamps look 90 - 95% better. So before you go spending £600 or more per lamp for replacements, it might be worth getting in contact to see if we can sort something out for you.

Regards

MOR8A

Most plastics discolour on the surface only. Those that do can be made "as new" again by using a very mild abrasive cleaner like Sif (Jif), T-Cut or even Jewellers rouge.

My son had a Nissan Skyline and his plastic lights were a little off, he used toothepaste to clean them, which again is a very mild abrasive

Most plastics discolour on the surface only. Those that do can be made "as new" again by using a very mild abrasive cleaner like Sif (Jif), T-Cut or even Jewellers rouge.

It may well be possible to make some improvements using these household products but it will not necessarily give a very nice finish and it WILL take hours. The 'cut' in some of these products is way too harsh for a transparent surface not to mention such an expensive one. Thanks for your input though.

Brasso is perfectly suitable for such an application. Done it myself on my 211, but not because of yellowing, just because of some light scratching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom