Plastic or metal centre caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skyman

Car
2011 ML350 bluetec W164
My genuine centre caps like other I see are starting to corrode.:mad:

I'm looking at replacing them with a new set of genuine one but just came across this site, they appear to be plastic so in theory won't suffer the same fate, has anyone else used these or similar and had good results? or are they metal on the originals for a reason?

Home - Mercedes Centre Caps | Mercedes Center Caps

Thanks for any replies Dean

the main downside I've had is that they are prone to legs breaking off in the hands of clumsy tyre fitters.

Unfortunately those with a chrome finish on the star will still suffer from flaking chrome and the laurel leaf versions tarnish within a year even though I only ever wash my car myself and never use harsh wheel cleaners.

My only suggestion is to try clear coating before fitting on those without the raised star.

Get the OE plastic ones from Merc. Sorted.

The caps on that site look like very accurate replicas so much so I doubt they are all plastic. I think I'll polish mine up and then try to clear coat them.

Mercedes-Centre-Caps-dark-Blue-1bb.jpg

^^^^ Got the same. Yes, they look like embossed & printed on some sort wafer thin metal folded over the plastic base. It even comes delivered with a protective plastic film to prevent scratches, but somehow it becomes cloudy, starting at the edges and no amount of polishing will remove it. Think diamond cut lips.

I've gone back to the plastic ones as suggested - Mercedes-Benz W124 W126 W201 Nabenkappen Nabendeckel Classic ohne Chrom | eBay

...just came across this site, they appear to be plastic so in theory won't suffer the same fate...

What they sell for £16-£19, you might as well buy direct from a Chinese seller for under £4 per set of 4 delivered, if you buy 20 or more.

IMG_3536small_zpscrszz6ld.jpg

These are actually of a better quality too, comparing to the ones in your link - look at the dots on the black laurel type.
I use them as my winter caps, and at that price, just throw them away, once the salt and grit season is over :thumb:

IMG_3213small_zpsqslizqyv.jpg

Apologies for the state of the wheel, but that's kind of the point ...

Also, as far as the plastic ones (as in plain star type) are concerned - all the aftermarket caps I've seen, suffer from the problem Chinese manufacturers are having with reproducing the star - they all look like the tips been chopped off, as evidently they can't reliably manufacture a very thin tip.

Some people can't see that, but for me this stands out too much, so I never use those. Here's a pic of genuine stars from my old caps - see the reinforced tip, don't know why Chinese can't do that, other than the cost saving ...

IMG_3695small_zpsxlbhq1ce.jpg

Just to illustrate it further - this was a boot star (no prize for guessing which one is a fake):

Star%20-%20fake%20small_zpsv0wq41mr.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, I like the idea of trying to polish and clear coating the original ones, but I see that some of you like the plastic ones so, if all goes wrong with the polishing, the plastic ones maybe a good fall back position, cheers Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom