Plastidip badges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Vito 111C
Hi everyone.

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered, nothing comes up in search function directly relating.

Want to plastidip (or similar) my badges on the back and the star and bonnet badge up front.

Vehicle has covered 250,000 and as such has a lot of grime in amongst the rear badges and the bonnet badge.

Is this feasible..? Don't want to waste money on a can of plastidip if the results are going to be average...!

Thanks in advance

Mike

No matter what you use the area will need a good clean first, the end result is all in good preperation.

If there is that much grime, then need to prepare and degrease the surface before starting.
Would it be easier to purchase new badges?

Thanks Carat (Duchalet??!)

I've had a good go with the karcher and a toothbrush and alcohol but there's still some grime that won't shift. I think I might go for full badge removal using the dental floss technique and then prep and spray off the vehicle.

Cheers

Mike

i have seen a few vids on youtube showing some customizing badges with Plastidip, I think I would need several attempts to get it spot on and some skills with a scalpel.

Don't waste your money & time plastidipping your badges pal. In my option your better just getting some replacements off eBay. :)

Speak to A250bennyboy (I think that's his full user name) he's your best bet on here

Thanks Carat (Duchalet??!)

I've had a good go with the karcher and a toothbrush and alcohol but there's still some grime that won't shift. I think I might go for full badge removal using the dental floss technique and then prep and spray off the vehicle.

Cheers

Mike

Carat Duchalet :thumb:

I don't think you need to go for a respray, remove the badges and use a decent cutting compound on the paint. A wash and polish afterwards and you'll be surprised at the result.

Carat Duchalet :thumb:

I don't think you need to go for a respray, remove the badges and use a decent cutting compound on the paint. A wash and polish afterwards and you'll be surprised at the result.

Exactly.
Once done, you might decide that it looks better without the rear badges. :thumb:

Always enjoyed the debadged look. Was told by a commercial insurance friend that debadging - just like replacing existing badges with 'up rated' badges (eg swapping say C190 for AMG) might invalidate insurance though!!

Always enjoyed the debadged look. Was told by a commercial insurance friend that debadging - just like replacing existing badges with 'up rated' badges (eg swapping say C190 for AMG) might invalidate insurance though!!

Your friend is talking rubbish I'm afraid, alot of Merc's come de-badged from the factory. If your insurance company are that picky they will always find a way not to pay out, and are therefore worthless.

Yes, I did wonder...

I can see how fooling folk into thinking your bog standard c class is an AMG monster might attract queries from our insurers but not having badges on the vehicle just means people are left to wonder.

Out of interest, why are so many mercs and beemers debadged from factory..? Customer requests, or laziness on the finishers' part..?

Don't do it I've tried plastidip and it's very tricky stuff to work with IMO
Like others have said get some off fleabay/amazon or the likes.
I got a set off black ones off ebay for about 20 quid and you can also get the boot star in black but bit pricey though.Think it was about 50ish
I'm going do my own when I get round to removing it, plastic bag handles and 3 small cable ties is all you need to DIY remove the boot star.

Thanks for the advice bennyboy
Interested to know about the plastic bag handles and cable ties technique.....

Thanks for the advice bennyboy
Interested to know about the plastic bag handles and cable ties technique.....

Basically you have to work the plastic handles under the three points of the star and gently pull on each one inturn until it's lifted enough away from the body so you can then get the small cable ties under the points and carry on evenly pull on each one inturn.
Make sure you pull on each point as close to the center as possible.
Their are also 3 nylon grommets that you should be able to reuse, I bought 3 off ebay just in case I loose or damage any of them. These are used to fix the star to the boot.
Think the star is well worth doing especially if you have a lightly coloured car.
Cheers
Ben:thumb:

Nice one Ben. Excellent info and having had a look I feel confident in the job ahead. For me it's all in the detail! I only run a Vito, but with it being silver I'd like some contrast with the badges. Thanks again Ben!

Cheers

Mike

You are very welcome Mike you'll have post a picy when you've done it pal:cool:

You have inspired me now lol might have a crack at it tomorrow, I'll post some picys up to if I get it done.
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom