Plate Retention doc back and Part of V5 can I go to DVLA and Transfer plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Just had the retention certificate back off the A class we had and also have part of the V5 off the new to us car we bought (Sections 10 and 11).

Question please.....

Can I take the retention certificate and this part of V5 to transfer plate onto new to us car.

Or do I need to wait for the actual V5 to come back to us?

Thanks indvance.

Will update on a seperate thread what we bought....:)

Secondary question to A210AMG's question. Which registration number do you need on your insurance? Is it the number you are transferring to or the number which pre-exists on the car?
The number I wish to transfer is on retention in my name.
TIA.

^ Good point,

Currently we have Mercedes own insurance on the plate we bought the car (its a temp cover for 7 days so they could tax it).

Her current A class insurance will be transfered onto the New car as soon as I know what's happening with the plates :)

As the car the plate is going on has to be in your name and they ask for the V5C I would think you will need to wait. Quick call to DVLA and they will confirm if that is the case.

The car needs to be insured from the moment you drive it. Initially that will mean the original number. Until the DVLA have re-registered that car with the private number, you cannot apply the plates. Once the identity of the car has changed, then the insurance company need to be notified.

The two parts you have are enough to do the plate change at local office

Can I take the retention certificate and this part of V5 to transfer plate onto new to us car.

Yes, I have done just that several times through the Manchester local offic without issues, so long as your name and address are on the new owner slip there should be no problems :)

OK, thanks all

Assuming all ok tomorrow when I hand in the V5 part I have and the Certificate or retention. How long do you have to wait to actually put the plates on?

Thanks

From memory it was straight away, they issue a new Tax disk and MOT on the spot along with paperwork to get plates made up if needed, the V5 follows in the post :)

OK, thanks all

Assuming all ok tomorrow when I hand in the V5 part I have and the Certificate or retention. How long do you have to wait to actually put the plates on?

Thanks

BTW you also need with you the take the MOT certificate if applicable and a photocopy of the current tax disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom