Plate Transfer/V5 Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KillerHERTZ, Mar 26, 2014.

1. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    Might be getting a new motor this weekend, the car currently has a private plate on it which is coming off and going to be replaced with a standard plate.

The seller has sent the V5 & MOT docs off to the DVLA, he has called them to say that they have been returned and should arrive within a day or so. Should they not arrive by this weekend there wont be any part of the V5 for me to take, nor the current MOT doc.

He suggested that we write up a contract on his PC, both sign it etc - incase I was stopped etc on the way back.

If the new docs arrive he will get some new plates made up for me to drive away with.

I have done a HPI check on it which came up clean.

Advice please guys! - it sounds kinda dodgy, is it?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. davidsw

davidsw Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XKR,Porsche Boxster S
    I recently traded a car in and put the plate on retention .Retention doc and new V5 for traded in car arrived in 14 days .V5 for purchased in car arrived exactly 4 weeks from trade in date. Just to give you an idea of time scales

1 person likes this.
  3. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    When I sold my C36, I wrote out a receipt to the buyer stating V5 will be sent upon receipt.

I would get some photo proof of the seller with his address on it (driving license etc) and take a copy and make sure you are buying the car from that address.

I think its fair unless you want to wait for the V5 to arrive to be 101% sure before collecting.

1 person likes this.
  4. guyvert1

guyvert1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55K Estate
    Did similar to Alps with my recent purchase, took about 4weeks to complete. Took copies of all the relevant docs as above plus a written/signed letter from owner.

Check with insurance though, some , like mine, charge £20 to change over the plate !

5. cinek

cinek Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB W204 , BMW F10, GSXR LZ3
    Such a shame they closed down the local DVLA offices as I cant get any sense out of the dimwits on the phone at Swansea at all.

Beginning of March I sent the form + pyament + two V5s requesting a private plate transfer from my car to my wife's car.

Two weeks ago I received the letter back, stating that the donor car's V5 is not the latest one, hence they cant process the application.
    I rang them up asking what is it all about. I was told that apparently I had a new V5 sent out for my wife's car last year, which by the way it never arrived here.
    When I asked the reason for the new V5 being issued, I was told that it was for security reasons when all V5 were being replaced. (security reason = dvla 'misplacing' several thousands of blank v5 some time ago).

Now, this is the interesting part, the V5 I sent was already the new format log book which replaced the older, green one.
    Just to be sure, I asked whether the other two V5s I have (for another car and the bike) are the current ones. Surprise, surprise, apparently all three were outdated for which the new V5s were allegedly sent last year.
    When I asked whether all three were sent in the same envelop, she said 'nope, we would never do that, they went out in separate envelopes'.
    One letter going missing? Fine, it can happen.
    Two letters from same sender going missing within few weeks? Extremely unlikely.
    But all three????? No comments there.

As I now received all three new log books, I sent out the plate transfer request Monday this week. Lets see how they screw this up this time.

6. p3tchy

p3tchy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK W209, K6 GSXR 1000
    Just brought a bike and waiting for the V5 to arrive still at the previous owner, I have the green slip though so if nothing comes in the next week I will just fill out a v55. Green slip = no fee, No green slip = £25 fee.

You will have the car and the MOT can reprinted from any garage now.

7. Simon_M

Simon_M Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini & Porsche
    I would be wary, the V5 is the only doc that confirms the number of previous owners.

Pay a deposit and wait.

Saying that I sold my Boxster and C63 while the V5 was away as private plates were being removed so plenty of people are willing to buy like that, just not me.

S

8. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I bought my E55 with a private plate the previous owner wanted to keep.
    He gave me the retention fee plus £25 for my trouble, and trusted me to send off the retention documents which would be returned to him. The V5 was then filled in, signed and posted by me.

This method did rely on a lot of trust from the seller.:thumb: