Plate transfers :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmyca69

Car
Looking for new one
Hi all

Sorry me again with another question about a potential car.

Car i am looking at on Saturday had 1 previous owners before current one that owned car for nearly 9 years. So owner is 2nd owner since Feb 2012, when doing a HPI check it noted the folllowing previous plate transfers, is this normal?!?!

The current plate was transferred to this vehicle on 17/01/2012

N**C** was applied to this vehicle on 03/04/2007
-There are no interests recorded against N**C**
A**2* was applied to this vehicle on 25/09/2004
- There are no interests recorded against A**2*
G****1 was applied to this vehicle on 01/03/2004
- There are no interests recorded against G****1
P***L was applied to this vehicle on 15/01/2004
- There are no interests recorded against P***L
U**9992 was applied to this vehicle on 28/11/2003
- There are no interests recorded against U**9992
F**999 was applied to this vehicle on 10/06/2003
- There are no interests recorded against F**999

Seems a lot of plate changes for same owner! what could this point to? other than a plate collector....

Don't see what there is to worry about personally.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Don't see what there is to worry about personally.

Ok thanks, is that based on previous experience of something similar?

I just thought it odd the same owners changed plates 6 times (5 of those changes in 15 month period) - i have bought cars with 5+ owners over 10 years+ that didnt have that many private plates on them. So flagged something up with me.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that the owner may have been selling registrations and wanted to save money on retention fees.....

That may just be -

plate transfer costs £80 ( just did one the other day ) , whereas retention cert is £120 , which includes a transfer fee .

Depends on the type of car as well.
My car has had twice as many different plates than owners, but being an s-class, that's not particularly unusual.

Depends on the type of car as well.
My car has had twice as many different plates than owners, but being an s-class, that's not particularly unusual.

Why would S-Class owners be more inclined to swap plates more than once? :confused:

That may just be -

plate transfer costs £80 ( just did one the other day ) , whereas retention cert is £120 , which includes a transfer fee .

Not sure this makes sense - he'd have to pay £80 to put a plate on the car and then another £80 to take it off when it sells, as opposed to £105 to put it on retention (which, as you said, includes the £80 transfer fee). Even if the plates took more than a year to sell, he'd only have to pay £25 to renew, and it seems most of the transfers actually happened more frequently than that.

It would also mean he could only hold one plate at a time (unless he was doing this with several cars), so it doesn't sound like typical behaviour for a number plate dealer.

Looking at the plates they appear to be Irish plates - particularly the first 3.

Either buying cheap Irish plates or could it be the owner worked/moved in Ireland and took back and fore? Do you have to change plates over in NI and Republic? How does living in Ireland affect V5's etc? could it be the first owner moved to ireland and changed plates etc or would that show up on V5?

Someone also had mentioned it could have been a celebrity/politician/criminal car to avoid recongnition lol.

Why would S-Class owners be more inclined to swap plates more than once? :confused:

I think it was one owner who had multiple plates, but every other owner has had a private plate on my car.

Was just stating the fact that more expensive cars are more likely to have had private plates.

I only have one on because I got the plate free which happens to have my initials on it and I want to hide the age because I'm a cheap skate!

Was just stating the fact that more expensive cars are more likely to have had private plates.

Agreed. It was just the idea of it not being unusual for the car to have had twice as many plates as owners that had me foxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom