Playing MP3 in COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles.Y

I have a COMAND installed in my 2005 E350 which comes with a 6-disc CD changer. The single CD/DVD slot plays a normal MP3 CD perfectly but seems to struggle playing a MP3 DVD (which I have 50 cds copied onto). Just wonder if anyone has successfully play a DVD disc with many MP3 folders and tracks (4.2 GB) in it.

Also, the cd changer reads and plays MP3 CDs but does not provide the MP3 controls like folders etc. Is it normal?

Yes, I can play DVDs with 50-od albums on in my 08 W211, and also it was fine in my 04 W211.

It can be fussy about the brand of DVDs, so better-known brands may be better than bulk-buy cheap ones.

All the folders have to be in the top level - it doesn't seem to handle nested folders.

Mine plays Mp3 on DVD's & CD'S but must say it dont like certain DVD's :confused:

The problem I had with the DVD+RW was that it plays the first track ok but struggles when I tried to choose a different folder/track.

The DVD I used was a DVD+RW one which feels a bit thicker. Maybe I just burn a DVD-R one see if it makes any difference.

The COMAND can be very fussy regarding brand, type of DVD and most important the way you copy the software.

For your year E-class, it will be totally different from the C-class so do not get confused.

I have wrote a detailed message somewhere on how to write\burn CD\DVD's and I always say that the huge, huge majority of COMAND problems rergarding the playing, or recording of files is 'user Error' :) Folks usually say I have been working with computers for years and I know al about writing files etc etc, but , the easiest cure is usually being able to be self critical.

You might have a COMAND problem but it may well be the brand\type of DVD.

Folders
You can only have a finite number of folders and you can only have a finite number of files within folders.

I would not write anything on the DVD other than the necessary Mp3 files and only have the root and one layer of folders.

My memory is shot at the moment but the maximum number of folders is in the region of 200 ish and the files within the folders is up to a maximum of 200 - ish. so you can have In excess of 200 folders, each containing 200 files.

I have two DVD's completely full of Mp3's and they work perfectly on our 2004 E-class.

Our vehicle was an early 204 so needed the mp3 upgrade to play these files and if I wanted the CD tray to play Mp3's then I would have to buy the upgraded 6 cd tray but your vehicle should play Mp3 CD's as well as Mp3 DVD's from the front DVD player. DO NOT put a music DVD in the rear navigation DVD player :)

I have just burn a DVD-R using a good brand DVD but the problem still persists. I only have one layer of 50 folders and about 12 songs in each folder.

HI Charles,

I have found this link and it indicate the way to unlock you commad anad activate the DVD, change the region, Play MP3 and Mercedes Comand Aps Unlock Classe e - Slk - Sl - S- Cls - Ml
Hope it helps
First off we all have right to meddle with whatever we want, we are all big boys and we all have the right to play with our toys.

Now here are my very own individual thoughts.

Mercedes-Benz has issued a service bulletin to all main dealers informing them that anyone that messes with these codes and causes the COMAND to malfunction will be charged for any repair. No warranty claims will be entertained.

TGhis engineers menu is a recipe for disaster and it is a quick way of messing anything and everything up.

there are usually a number of posters asking for help to reset their COMAND because it has mysteriously 'goone wrong'. What they mean to say is "I have played with it, wrecked it, and I am too tight to pay an expert to repair it!"

If you decide to do this, then do it with your eyes wide open and fully aware of the consequences.

SWhat I will gaurantee is. if an Mp3 CD will not play before you play with the settings, it will not play after.

My money is on either an incompatible CD, or 'operator error'

The very easiest way of getting answers is to contact someone that has a CD that works in their E-class. Use that one in your COMAND and see if it will play.

My money is on the fact that it will :eek:

What burning software have people used successfully to burn DVDs? My COMAND system is fine but I've only mamaged to create a 'juke box DVD' that plays the tracks completely at random, whereas I want to be able to scan across folders and then open up the named folders to play the music (one folder = one album). When I manage to get a DVD with folders each containing one album the system doesn't seem able to read it.

I am absolutely certain this is a case of what GloJo calls 'operator error', but this particular operator would appreciate a word of guidance!!

What burning software have people used successfully to burn DVDs? My COMAND system is fine but I've only mamaged to create a 'juke box DVD' that plays the tracks completely at random, whereas I want to be able to scan across folders and then open up the named folders to play the music (one folder = one album). When I manage to get a DVD with folders each containing one album the system doesn't seem able to read it.

I am absolutely certain this is a case of what GloJo calls 'operator error', but this particular operator would appreciate a word of guidance!!

I hope my 'operator error' comment is taken with the humour it was wrote in.

I am a complete thickie regarding computers and I have always kept things extremely simple.

I have used both Roxio and Nero but I copied everything as data files

I simply got a blank cd\DVD .

Wrote out my folders on the computer

ie Aerosmith

Copied 200 Aerosmith tracks into that folder

Make another folder called Ozzy Osbourne .. Put 200 tracks into that folder

Then when I have prepared all the folders, I copy them onto the root of the CD\DVD

I do NOT play about with settings, I do not get technical I just keep it simple

On the cOMAND I can see my folderswith their names and the way I have wrote my Mp£'s when I open the folders I can see the names and singers on each file.

Folks that know me will confirm that I have helped, corresponded with approximately a dozen forum members regarding this issue and fortunately, it has always been 'user error' :)

I only say 'fortunately' because that is the cheapest one to fix:D

Keep it simple

HI Charles,

I have found this link and it indicate the way to unlock you commad anad activate the DVD, change the region, Play MP3 and Mercedes Comand Aps Unlock Classe e - Slk - Sl - S- Cls - Ml
Hope it helps

Thanks. I have seen that too. The problem in mine COMAND is not that it can't play MP3, it just doesn't play all MP3 tracks on a DVD. In a CD with >10 folders and >100 tracks, it is fine.

I guess it is both the way the DVD is burnt and the brand? I probably will eliminate the brand as I have tried a few food brand DVDs.

One thing I noticed is that the DVD player seems to load up all folders and tracks when first loaded. And then starts playing the first track in the first folder very promptly. As soon as I don't try to move to a different folder, it seems work OK.

I hope my 'operator error' comment is taken with the humour it was wrote in.

I am a complete thickie regarding computers and I have always kept things extremely simple.

I have used both Roxio and Nero but I copied everything as data files

I simply got a blank cd\DVD .

Wrote out my folders on the computer

ie Aerosmith

Copied 200 Aerosmith tracks into that folder

Make another folder called Ozzy Osbourne .. Put 200 tracks into that folder

Then when I have prepared all the folders, I copy them onto the root of the CD\DVD

I do NOT play about with settings, I do not get technical I just keep it simple

On the cOMAND I can see my folderswith their names and the way I have wrote my Mp£'s when I open the folders I can see the names and singers on each file.

Folks that know me will confirm that I have helped, corresponded with approximately a dozen forum members regarding this issue and fortunately, it has always been 'user error' :)

I only say 'fortunately' because that is the cheapest one to fix:D

Keep it simple

I absolutely took 'operator error' in the spirit in which it was intended! Thanks for the step by step - I had tried something similar with Roxio but it didn't work - so it's good to know that the fundamental approach is OK, and I can retry with better DVDs etc.:thumb:

I absolutely took 'operator error' in the spirit in which it was intended! Thanks for the step by step - I had tried something similar with Roxio but it didn't work - so it's good to know that the fundamental approach is OK, and I can retry with better DVDs etc.:thumb:
I do not want to be a real 'kill joy' but it could also be the way the Mp3's are recorded.

We had one forum member that was an absolute wizz at recording Mp3 music, I could not understand a word they said but evidently they were an 'audiophile' and they reckoned the settings they had were second to none...

Sadly the COMAND settled for 'none' and refused to play the complete tune... It just did not like what this expert did :(

I'm adding my hat to the ring.

I have a collection of albums - no more than 25 - and each has tracks in it, normal numbers for albums, i.e. anywhere between 12 and 30 tracks in each.

I am using a DVD-R and have written the suggested flat data file structure, i.e:

DVD (root)
- Album 1
- Track 1
- Track 2
- etc
-Album 2
- Track 1
... and so on.

I put the DVD into COMAND and after cogitating for a short while it displays a 'DVD ERROR' message.

The drive has previously been happy to play MP3 CD's with all the info nicely displayed in the cluster.

Is COMAND fussy about DVD format? I.e. should I be using DVD+R instead?

Does the DVD have to be finalised? Or does this not matter?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Thanks,

Corned

The disc does have to be finalised. Also comand seems to be very fussy with the disc brand - I have had the most success with Philips written at a low speed.

I now use an old Ipod via an aux cable..

On my 2006 C280. I can play MP3 CDs in the autochanger but can only see the 1st 99 songs. Still, nearly 600 songs seems to be enough for Mrs SB.

Annoyingly, Comand will not show a list of song titles, so you have to scroll through all 99 to get to the one you want. My old Vauxhall Signum could manage a list of songs on its CD70 system, and its about the only thing about it I miss :D

The disc does have to be finalised. Also comand seems to be very fussy with the disc brand - I have had the most success with Philips written at a low speed.

I now use an old Ipod via an aux cable..
I must confess that I have not finalised my DVD's. I can list the folders and also show ther names of the singers and the namesof the songs, but that is very much down to how I name the Mp3's before copying them

ie

Ozzy Osbourne Changes.mp3

I can leave the spaces anddo not need an _ as in
Ozzy_Osbourne_ Changes.mp3

Brands of DVD arefussy, BUT NOWHERE NEAR AS FUSSY ASMAKING SURE YOUR RECORD the Mp3's in a format the COMAND likes

I wasted no end of DVD's trying to get the blooming thing to work.

The DVD would play on an Mp3 player, it would play on the computer, but putit into the COMAND and it would refuse to play, then when I did get it to work it would only find a limited number of tracks ggrrrr it got me mad, but eventually I finally got things to work.

Keep it plain and keep it simple

May I add my 2p'worth to this as I have been doing a little mp3'ing of late.

First off, are we certain that all recent comand models can play either mp3 / DVD (video) / mp3 CD / mp3 DVD (data) or a mixture of all? I'm only pointing this out because some pre 2004/2005 models *may* not be able to handle the DVD, (video or data), side of things.

For my part I have been using "Sony SonicStage" which is a music/mp3 programme bundled into the Sony laptop that I have. I tried Media Player, Roxio, Nero, etc but I found the above to be easier for me. One thing that surprised me was the complexity of some the programmes and, as Glojo has said, just try to keep things simple. By that, I only play around with bit rates until I get/got the quality that I am happy with. So, I simply rip the whole album "as is" with the required bit rate, more later. Also, as someone has said comand wont play sub-folders within folders. Also, if the disc is a mixture of audio and data it will only play what comes first and ignore the rest.

I too have noticed that comand can be overly fussy about which discs it will reliably handle. I have used the cheap do-nuts from PC World right through to premium Sony including some fancy black ones finally settling on TDK both for CD and DVD. Philips (the inventor;)) are fine also but I have a soft spot now for TDK. For CD I use simple CD and for DVD its DVD+R, not DVD-RW (no particular reason why not) and yes, in all cases they need to be finalised or closed or they wont/dont/cant play in anything other than the original drive (I dont know why).

Bit rates? OK, like an audiophile (lol!) I used 320 bps initially. This was really going against the grain of maximum storage etc so after starting another thread on the subject a number of kind folks advised that 192 bps was plenty and lo and behold, it was. Trouble is, I was auditioning in my A Class (Audio 20) where the speakers are in a different location to my SLK. In my SLK I could detect differences twixt 320 and 192 so I re-ripped a duplicate of my CD collection purely for my SLK at 320 bps and burned these (data) to DVD+R, for my A Class I used 192 bps and burned to (data) CD.

All is now contentment in my mp3 world. I hope this all helps but to re-cap:

Keep it simple and use good quality discs.

Cheers.
Portzy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom