Playing MP3 music in W211 E class.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Having recently bought an E55 AMG, I thought I would just post my experiences with regards to playing MP3 music in the hope it may be of some use to someone else who might search in future - as I did initially and found a lot of helpful posts although I wasn't totally clear on what I had or what I was doing... however, having been in IT for 20 years, you get the knack of dicking around with stuff until it works...

:crazy:

Initially, I thought I would have to fit an iPod kit at a quoted £500 and I would have had to have bought an iPod as well as I don't have one. However, I've since been able to reduce that bill to a whopping 54p instead...

After doing some research and reading the car manual, I discovered I was able to play MP3s recorded onto DVDs using the single slot unit at the front of the car.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know everything about the audio in this Merc yet (I only got the car a couple of weeks ago) and having previously been into BMWs and other marques - this is my first Merc.

I don't actually know what Audio system I have although I believe it is Audio 50 with COMAND and entry level 10 speaker setup (not BOSE) - so I can only speak for this particular setup. I'm guessing a certain level would come with this level of car anyway.

Also, the car is a 54 plate (first registered October) with the fine mesh section above the inlet air vents, rather than the slats which you get in earlier 54 plates and older - I am not sure of the exact cut off but I understand a software upgrade is required for older units. If you follow this post and are missing something or it doesn't work, I would guess this could be the reason.

Anyway, here is my recipe for success:

1) I used Roxio Creator Premier 9 and selected the DATA option - as the disc needs to have audio written as files, not as recorded audio.

2) I already have my entire CD collection converted to MP3 on a PC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12 - recorded at 320kbps.

3) I first of all copied all my (our!) music to another folder, and then deleted anything I wasn't interest in. I also used this opportunity to search the whole of that copied version and deleted files with the following extensions:

*.jpg (to remove artwork used within Media Player)
*.ini (to remove ini files containing folder settings for that folder - only any use to Windows)

4) The manual states it can only go down 1 level of folders so I began reducing the hierarchy of folders so that all my music was within 1 level of folders. So for example, WMP stored (in my case) 'E:\Music\Lenny Kravitz\Mama Said', I had to alter this to 'L Kravitz - Mama Sd' and then ensure the files underneath are the track names on that album - using numbers 01, 02, 03 etc. onwards to keep them in the order you want/know.

Of course you could have your track named with the artist as well - but on my display, it shows the folder name at the top of the screen and the track name further down - which works fine. Where I have a situation which includes a compilation album - I only see the track name rather than the artist - but I know who the artist is anyway.

5) There is not unlimited room for the names so I worked to a limit of 20 characters (including spaces) for the folder name. I didn't bother renaming any files as I don't care if it cuts off part of the name. When the track is first selected, it shows all of the name anyway and then reverts. If you have bad OCD - this could take you a long time to get it perfect. I don't get why they couldn't use more of the screen space to display longer filenames...

6) Next was a question of inserting a blank DVD (I use Verbatim DVD-R as DVD-R have been around longest and is probably the most supported) and then proceed to add firstly, the folders contained within the 'Various Artists' folder, which was all the compilation discs. In my case, I was able to add the whole lot and I had something like 9MB free. Lucky git. This meant I could proceed to write the disc. With the 'Specific Artists', I added enough folders until the status at the bottom left indicates there was too much data (xMB over) and then removed folders until it just flipped to xMB under. I actually removed more because I didn't want to include say one album by Queen on one disc and the rest on another - I wanted them all on one disc.

7) For all of my discs, I used the following settings:

DAO (Disc At Once) (Closed)
Mode 1
ISO+Joliet+UDF
One recording only
Verify

The first disc I created I found took a while to start playing and if I was too quick changing tracks - the whole unit froze. I also didn't go far enough with renaming folders as a lot was missing. However, after remembering reading about the disc needing to be in UDF format, I chose ISO+Joliet+UDF (originally I used ISO+Joliet). Since then, the speed has improved and it seems more reliable.

8) Test a disc out. In my case, I had to choose AUX to get it to play the disc, and then once rolling, you can use the up and down buttons to changes tracks, left and right to change folders (if you select the AUDIO menu within the speedometer - you can use the steering wheel controls). Also, there is a FOLDER button at the top left of the screen where you can list all the folders on your disc and navigate to the desired folder (album).

The only thing I know to watch out for is dual layer discs. The drive can only read one side according to the manual, and they can get stuck. I would avoid using at all costs...!

I've gone from 4 wallets containing large numbers of CDs to 4 DVDs.

That's it... I hope this of some use to someone.

:thumb:

Last edited:
nice write up, welcome to the E55K club ;) pics?

fyi, you dont get bose in the w211, the upgrade was Harmon Kardon. the cd changer will also play mp3`s but only on cd, also dont forget the audio jack in the glove box where ou can plug a headphone type plug into, therefore your mp3 player whatever it may be.

Cheers.

Yes, I thought the option was HK based on Parkers fantastic equipment guide but my local indie thought Bose. I understand the difference is more to do with clever stuff rather than performance - although I wasn't going to let this car go for the sake of it...

The car is already dirty so I am planning to wash and wax it in the forth-coming bank holiday period and do some proper photos. A chap at my local indie talked me through the best way to get results with my paintwork. Mine is a dark grey with clear coat lacquer.

I did hear about the glove box socket but I haven't actually looked to see if I have it (forget by the time I am in it). How do you go about charging an MP3 player whilst it is in there or would you remove it each time?

The beauty of DVDs is they don't need to change them often, you don't need to charge them and they cost jack. However, I can understand why people would prefer portable units.

MP3 is minor, there are oem kits on ebay that come up time to time for £100ish

sounds nice, not many dark grey ones around!

its there centre of the glove box, yes you would have to charge it externally

as for DVD`s, the kids rear screen normally occupies what's in the DVD slot so i have to use everything else for front seat entertainment :)

Hi, a little late onto this thread but my 2003 E55 AMG doesn't appear to have the jack/ MP3 in socket in the glovebox. Has anyone else found this with theirs as it would be a whole lot easier to play ipod through this way.....

Hi, a little late onto this thread but my 2003 E55 AMG doesn't appear to have the jack/ MP3 in socket in the glovebox. Has anyone else found this with theirs as it would be a whole lot easier to play ipod through this way.....

It would be more important to know which head unit you have instead of telling which engine you have.

Ahh... that reminds me - mine is not Audio 50 I later found out as mine has Navigation.

Mine does have COMAND but is the base speaker setup (which I think is 9 speakers).

I'm still not sure which head unit I have nor have I checked the glovebox for an aux port as I have my MP3 situation sewn up (as above).

I also still have not managed to polish it and do proper pics of it - I had a week off last week but the recall work meant I didn't get it back for a week and now back at work... :rolleyes:

Audio 50 has navigation but just basic turn by turn direction navigation where as Comand has full colour navigation with maps.

In the W211 only Comand has aux input, the other headunits do not.

Yeah... I seem to remember reading that somewhere after my post.

Mine definitely has full colour mappage.

In the W211 only Comand has aux input, the other headunits do not.

Should have also put unless you have one of the last made W211 so a MY09> W211, which will have NTG2.5 based Audio and Comand units, all of which have aux input.

Just to add to this - I had problems but discovered it does not like the files at /root level but they must be within a /folder

Having recently bought an E55 AMG, I thought I would just post my experiences with regards to playing MP3 music in the hope it may be of some use to someone else who might search in future - as I did initially and found a lot of helpful posts although I wasn't totally clear on what I had or what I was doing... however, having been in IT for 20 years, you get the knack of dicking around with stuff until it works...

:crazy:

Initially, I thought I would have to fit an iPod kit at a quoted £500 and I would have had to have bought an iPod as well as I don't have one. However, I've since been able to reduce that bill to a whopping 54p instead...

After doing some research and reading the car manual, I discovered I was able to play MP3s recorded onto DVDs using the single slot unit at the front of the car.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know everything about the audio in this Merc yet (I only got the car a couple of weeks ago) and having previously been into BMWs and other marques - this is my first Merc.

I don't actually know what Audio system I have although I believe it is Audio 50 with COMAND and entry level 10 speaker setup (not BOSE) - so I can only speak for this particular setup. I'm guessing a certain level would come with this level of car anyway.

Also, the car is a 54 plate (first registered October) with the fine mesh section above the inlet air vents, rather than the slats which you get in earlier 54 plates and older - I am not sure of the exact cut off but I understand a software upgrade is required for older units. If you follow this post and are missing something or it doesn't work, I would guess this could be the reason.

Anyway, here is my recipe for success:

1) I used Roxio Creator Premier 9 and selected the DATA option - as the disc needs to have audio written as files, not as recorded audio.

2) I already have my entire CD collection converted to MP3 on a PC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12 - recorded at 320kbps.

3) I first of all copied all my (our!) music to another folder, and then deleted anything I wasn't interest in. I also used this opportunity to search the whole of that copied version and deleted files with the following extensions:

*.jpg (to remove artwork used within Media Player)
*.ini (to remove ini files containing folder settings for that folder - only any use to Windows)

4) The manual states it can only go down 1 level of folders so I began reducing the hierarchy of folders so that all my music was within 1 level of folders. So for example, WMP stored (in my case) 'E:\Music\Lenny Kravitz\Mama Said', I had to alter this to 'L Kravitz - Mama Sd' and then ensure the files underneath are the track names on that album - using numbers 01, 02, 03 etc. onwards to keep them in the order you want/know.

Of course you could have your track named with the artist as well - but on my display, it shows the folder name at the top of the screen and the track name further down - which works fine. Where I have a situation which includes a compilation album - I only see the track name rather than the artist - but I know who the artist is anyway.

5) There is not unlimited room for the names so I worked to a limit of 20 characters (including spaces) for the folder name. I didn't bother renaming any files as I don't care if it cuts off part of the name. When the track is first selected, it shows all of the name anyway and then reverts. If you have bad OCD - this could take you a long time to get it perfect. I don't get why they couldn't use more of the screen space to display longer filenames...

6) Next was a question of inserting a blank DVD (I use Verbatim DVD-R as DVD-R have been around longest and is probably the most supported) and then proceed to add firstly, the folders contained within the 'Various Artists' folder, which was all the compilation discs. In my case, I was able to add the whole lot and I had something like 9MB free. Lucky git. This meant I could proceed to write the disc. With the 'Specific Artists', I added enough folders until the status at the bottom left indicates there was too much data (xMB over) and then removed folders until it just flipped to xMB under. I actually removed more because I didn't want to include say one album by Queen on one disc and the rest on another - I wanted them all on one disc.

7) For all of my discs, I used the following settings:

DAO (Disc At Once) (Closed)
Mode 1
ISO+Joliet+UDF
One recording only
Verify

The first disc I created I found took a while to start playing and if I was too quick changing tracks - the whole unit froze. I also didn't go far enough with renaming folders as a lot was missing. However, after remembering reading about the disc needing to be in UDF format, I chose ISO+Joliet+UDF (originally I used ISO+Joliet). Since then, the speed has improved and it seems more reliable.

8) Test a disc out. In my case, I had to choose AUX to get it to play the disc, and then once rolling, you can use the up and down buttons to changes tracks, left and right to change folders (if you select the AUDIO menu within the speedometer - you can use the steering wheel controls). Also, there is a FOLDER button at the top left of the screen where you can list all the folders on your disc and navigate to the desired folder (album).

The only thing I know to watch out for is dual layer discs. The drive can only read one side according to the manual, and they can get stuck. I would avoid using at all costs...!

I've gone from 4 wallets containing large numbers of CDs to 4 DVDs.

That's it... I hope this of some use to someone.

:thumb:

Hi John, I am trying to play MP3 on my audio system A2118702889. Attached the image. My car doesn’t have Aux headphone port. Is it possible to make MP3 played on DVDor CD? Also how to find the my Audio head model?

Hi, I am trying to play MP3 on my audio system A2118702889. Attached the image. My car doesn’t have Aux headphone port. Is it possible to make MP3 played on DVDor CD? Also how to find the my Audio head model?

This unit was removed from Mercedes CLS 320CDI 2007 model and connected with my w211. Playing Radio and Audio CDs.

Audio unit image

Attachments

• 380EA59B-BB18-40AF-A549-752AE72E00F9.jpeg
    380EA59B-BB18-40AF-A549-752AE72E00F9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Holy thread revival, Batman! This thread was started eleven years ago, and last contributed to eight years ago.

The OP is still around, though, so you may get a response.

Top thread revivalage!

Has 11 years almost to the day really gone that fast?

Hi, I am trying to play MP3 on my audio system A2118702889. Attached the image. My car doesn’t have Aux headphone port. Is it possible to make MP3 played on DVDor CD? Also how to find the my Audio head model?

This unit was removed from Mercedes CLS 320CDI 2007 model and connected with my w211. Playing Radio and Audio CDs.

I am by no means an expert on Mercedes-specific audio hardware... my initial post was based on what I'd learnt from research based on what I had in my car.

I had this head unit (notice the slot at the top - this is the DVD unit):

Head Unit.JPG

The model of your head unit seems to suggest it is a CD player only.

You could try it with a CD full of MP3 files to see if it plays it. I have to warn you it's a bit of a faff and is quite time-intensive.

If you want to try it, you will need a computer with at least a CD writer and some blank CD-R like these:

£5 gets you a top brand of 25 CDs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43432-700MB-Extra-Protection/dp/B0006BC3DK

Then just follow my instructions above in the post you quoted.

An issue here is how many MP3s you will fit on a single CD, which of course will be nothing like the number you can fit on a DVD, and the fact your head unit may still not read MP3s from CDs.

I better option might be to consider replacing the head unit for a much more up to date one.

I know nothing about these head units as I have never bought one, so I am not recommending the following unit, and maybe others on here have experience of fitting aftermarket units to W211s and can recommend one.

But broadly something like this, which has 64GB of memory so you may be able to fit all your MP3s on to it without having to mess around with optical media like above:

8-Core Android 10.0 DAB+ DSP Car Stereo CarPlay WiFi Sat Nav For Mercedes Benz E/CLS/G Class W211 on OnBuy

Depending on your budget, what you want to achieve here and how long you intend to keep the vehicle for, it may not be worth it.

It's possibly easier and cheaper to stick with your favourite audio CDs.

You can buy them used for next to nothing from Music Magpie and leave them in your glovebox and not care if anything happens to them!

Sadly gone are the days when you can remove your single DIN head unit and replace with a new single DIN head unit, either directly or with a £10 adapter from Halfords!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom