Playstation 3 - Preorder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only thing I can suggest is to sign up for Amazon's PS3 newsletter, they will then inform you when you can pre-rder from them. When you do, you "pay" in full, but they don't take payment till they ship. I find them very good.

Hope this helps.

I imagine all the big electrical retailers will get a healthy allocation of stock from Sony. I pre-ordered my PS2 at the Dixons opposite my office and was able to pick it up the morning they launched in the UK. I will try and do something similar for the PS3.

Found this pre-order 'tracker' BTW:

http://www.ps3preorders.com/index.php

Just something to be aware of when ordering....

When Sony gave out the specs on the PS3 earlier tonight, the company mentioned that there would be two configurations: a $500 version with a 20GB hard drive and a $600 edition with a 60GB drive. Turns out that was only half the story. Yes, that pricing and storage info is accurate. But it turns out that there are a lot of other things missing from the lower-end (we can't bring ourselves to call a $500 console "cheap") version, besides an extra 40GB of storage. According to the specs released by Sony, the 20GB version will lack WiFi, a memory card reader and, most significantly, HDMI output. While you could probably get along without WiFi in a home-based console that already has Ethernet, and you can always presumably hook up a memory card reader via one of the unit's four USB ports, the lack of HDMI output makes this pretty much a non-starter for anyone hoping to actually use the PS3's Blu-ray drive for anything more than playing games. Sure, we can understand Sony not wanting to undercut sales of its own dedicated Blu-ray players by offering the $500 PS3 as a cheaper alternative. But if the company was hoping to use the gaming platform as a way to build a base of fans for HD discs, chances are the strategy is going to backfire the first time someone tries playing a Blu-ray flick in their 20GB version and discovers that the unit's lack of HDMI limits them to analog 1080i output (or worse, depending on a disc's use of HDCP).

Stupid Question, But I need to ask it anyway

I want to buy a games machine, no problem there, but which one? My son has PS1, PS2, Gameboy (several types), and GameCube, all of which reside at his mothers house. I am getting a Sony Brevia LCD 32" tv to go with my Pioneer 868avi dvd player etc, so I want to hook everything up to get the most out of things. So do I buy an X Box 360, PS2, or wait for the PS3. Or do I go for the frontal labotomy as it will be cheaper. :confused:

scotth_uk said:
Just something to be aware of when ordering....

When Sony gave out the specs on the PS3 earlier tonight, the company mentioned that there would be two configurations: a $500 version with a 20GB hard drive and a $600 edition with a 60GB drive. Turns out that was only half the story. Yes, that pricing and storage info is accurate. But it turns out that there are a lot of other things missing from the lower-end (we can't bring ourselves to call a $500 console "cheap") version, besides an extra 40GB of storage. According to the specs released by Sony, the 20GB version will lack WiFi, a memory card reader and, most significantly, HDMI output. While you could probably get along without WiFi in a home-based console that already has Ethernet, and you can always presumably hook up a memory card reader via one of the unit's four USB ports, the lack of HDMI output makes this pretty much a non-starter for anyone hoping to actually use the PS3's Blu-ray drive for anything more than playing games. Sure, we can understand Sony not wanting to undercut sales of its own dedicated Blu-ray players by offering the $500 PS3 as a cheaper alternative. But if the company was hoping to use the gaming platform as a way to build a base of fans for HD discs, chances are the strategy is going to backfire the first time someone tries playing a Blu-ray flick in their 20GB version and discovers that the unit's lack of HDMI limits them to analog 1080i output (or worse, depending on a disc's use of HDCP).

I don't know who told you that but it simply isn't true.

Pietre said:
I want to buy a games machine, no problem there, but which one? My son has PS1, PS2, Gameboy (several types), and GameCube, all of which reside at his mothers house. I am getting a Sony Brevia LCD 32" tv to go with my Pioneer 868avi dvd player etc, so I want to hook everything up to get the most out of things. So do I buy an X Box 360, PS2, or wait for the PS3. Or do I go for the frontal labotomy as it will be cheaper. :confused:

Hold out for the PS3 :) I've had my xbox 360 ever since launch and I'm not at all biased towards either sony or microsoft as I also have a PS2 but if I'm honest, the xbox 360 has been the worst console I've ever had, the features are great dont get me wrong and obviously the lack of games is because its a new console so that will increase with time but the big problem I have is the amount of times it crashes on me. Mid game you'll hear the disc stop spinning and it'll make a clicking noise then say the disc is unreadable and it should be checked, it happens on every game and not just one and my discs are all kept in pristine condition so it shouldnt be happening, its extremely irritating and frustrating when you have to redo everything you've just done before it gives up on you!

I'm not - but then I only work in PS3 development ;)

stats007 said:
I'm not - but then I only work in PS3 development ;)
So is it just an oversight from some marketing monkey as suggested in the Tech Digest article?

S.

They claim it's from a Sony Press Release? You have to ask yourself, if this were true - why haven't the games press picked up on it - especially as E3 started this week. Why haven't Microsoft's Marketing department picked up on it and why would anyone think it's cost effective to manufacture two variations (the HDD is just a simple swap) when Sony are already theoretically going to be selling at a loss? Why would you introduce Next Generation gaming without digital video? Why sell a console without WiFi when the PSP is the biggest selling console of all time?

stats007 said:
They claim it's from a Sony Press Release? You have to ask yourself, if this were true - why haven't the games press picked up on it - especially as E3 started this week. Why haven't Microsoft's Marketing department picked up on it and why would anyone think it's cost effective to manufacture two variations (the HDD is just a simple swap) when Sony are already theoretically going to be selling at a loss? Why would you introduce Next Generation gaming without digital video? Why sell a console without WiFi when the PSP is the biggest selling console of all time?
Well it's all over the major gaming forums that I have scanned. Can they all be wrong? If you know better then fair do's.

Here's another article from IGN:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

Here's the specification document from Sony Japan:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509a.pdf

As I mentioned above, I remember all the hype that surrounded the PS2's release, the system was going to be a full blown media centre and much was made of watching DVD movies with all the picture quality benfits as well as forthcoming HDD that could be added as an optional extra. Reality was very different from the promised hype. Why would Sony introduce a console that could play DVD movies then cripple RGB SCART video output even though macrovision was present? Who knows but they did.

I know I will get a PS3 and I will get the premium flavour version so differences be they true or not won't really matter to me. However, I can say that on this occasion I won't be an early adopter as I was with the PS2. I'll wait for at least one price drop before I take the plunge, unless GT5 makes an appearance then I'll be tempted to jump earlier.

S.

For now the differences are purely in HDD spec. I've not seen that press release - there's a different one for SCEE & SCEA - I'll ask some questions but I'd suspect it's been misinterpreted. Rumours and hype are all part of the internet - chinese whispers are often started by rivals and / or developers themselves.

GT5 looks very impressive - don't expect a price reduction in the first 12 months though.

Sony has defended its decision to offer two versions of its forthcoming PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console.

Senior Sony executive Phil Harrison said the models were aimed at different types of consumers.

The games giant has been criticised for offering a lower end model without several significant features.

The console is due to go on sale in November, with prices starting at $499 in the US and 499 euros (£341) in Europe.

HD concerns

Sony announced the launch date and price for the PS3 at a big news presentation at its studios in Culver City in Los Angeles.

At the time it only talked about the difference in the size of the hard drives. The basic model has a 20GB drive, while the model costing $599/599 euros comes with a 60GB one.

Only later, after detailed press releases were distributed, did it become apparent that there were other key differences.

We have a great brand and fantastically loyal consumers

Phil Harrison, Sony
The lower end model lacks wi-fi, a slot for memory cards and, in particular, a port to hook up a HDMI connecter high-definition programmes.

The decision to offer a model without HDMI has raised concerns about the high-definition compatibility of the PS3.

Mr Harrison shrugged off these fears, insisting that the both models would offer full HD output.

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines," he told the BBC News website. "There is no difference in what the machine does."

"It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different," said Mr Harrison, who heads up Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios.

He said the decision to offer two versions was designed to give consumers a choice.

"Some people might be interested in the PS3 primarily and exclusively as a games system, whereas other users might look at it as a multimedia hub in the home, which is games and music and movies and other digital content."

Xbox rivals

Speaking personally, Mr Harrison said he would buy the high end model.

It seems likely that PlayStation fans looking forward to the new system may do the same thing.

Some queued for an hour to see the new games
When rival Microsoft launched its Xbox 360 console last November, it offered a basic model and a higher-end model.

But gamers shied away from the cheaper version in favour of the more expensive one.

Microsoft has sold more than three million Xbox 360s worldwide since its debut.

It has set itself a target of 10 million by the time the PS3 appears in stores in an attempt to steal a lead over Sony.

But Mr Harrison said he was not worried by the figures from Microsoft.

"I doubt they will achieve that," he said

"I think the clear advantages of the PS3 will mean that this product is very well accepted in the marketplace.

"We have a great brand and fantastically loyal consumers."

Japanese gamers will be the first to get their hands on the PS3 on 11 November. The console will arrive in the US and Europe on 17 November.

Pressed on whether Sony would meet this deadline, Mr Harrison said the company would not have specified a date unless it could, adding that manufacturing of the console was starting.

stats007 said:
Foot... Shot... Sony.. Aaarrgh.

Not the first time Sony have done it. Mini disc, memory sticks, digital8 and who could forget Betamax :crazy:

I've been a big PS fan since their original conception but I currently believe the PS3 is another Betamax moment. Sony are already back peddling over Blu Ray and in negotaitions with HD DVD to create a single format.

I had read that GT5 will be launched early on for the PS3 but unless it is a huge improvement on GT4 I can't get excited about that either.

The gentleman who had probelms with his XBox360, I'd advise you take it back as all my fiends have them and though don't have a problem. IMO the XBox 360 is a very well rounded package once you go "live" or integrate it with your PC.

I persaonally am going to wait for the PS3 to launch before I pass final judgement but it is likely to be either an XBox 360 or a new graphics card for my PC at the moment.

For once, I hope Microsoft give Sony a kicking

At least Sony have backed down on those stupid Boomerang controllers.

Sony are committed to Blu-Ray - there's no joining HD-DVD - Betamax vs VHS - DCC vs DAT ring any bells?

campbellju said:
...At least Sony have backed down on those stupid Boomerang controllers.
The latest incarnations look like the Dual Shock controllers, only Sony has dropped the rumble function, instead they are fitted with six way tilt sensors.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom