Pleasant drive up from Ashford on Saturday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
In my new clk 320 Avantgarde convertable! 2001 facelift.

What a lovely car to drive, and amazing fuel consumption. Cruise set to 80, with the occasional blast, and returned 33.5 mpg.

Now, most people say what a wonderful car they have bought with beautiful coachwork, and interior.
Well I have to be honest, this car was a shed.
Interior was filthy, armrest shiny and worn, split in stitching on drivers seat, a coiple of nicks in the trim, and dirt embedded into everything.
Exterior was covered in carwash scratches, and other (very) small scratches.
And the alloys. Absolutely corroded under the clear laquer - looked terrible.

So why did I buy it?
Well, I nearly didn't, but I started looking for reasons to buy, rather than reject - so here they are

Recent (10k ago plug change)
Engine was a beauty, and a lovely drive.
Hardly any rust. One small spot on one wheelarch - the others looked surprisingly clear. And the boot lock is starting to show signs of rust.
Discs and pads replaced recently.
Everything works.

So, nothing that I cant sort. A new armrest from Ebay cost me £60, and I spent about the same on cleaning materials from Halfords.

So heres the spec

Audio 10 with boot mounted changer
Heated electric seats
Folding mirrors
Xenons
Front and rear park sensors (I love the display between the rear seats)
Auto dim rear view mirror
Auto wipers
Full climate control
Headlamp wash
Bose speakers
17" AMGs
Heated washers

Parrot 3100 bluetooth

61,000 (verified) miles

And all for well under 5k!

So, Ive done the interior, - all cleaned, wood polished, centre console lid replaced. Still to sort out seat stitching

Flatted the body paintwork, polished and waxed. It's come up a treat - looks fantastic. Still to do the same to bumpers skirts and mirrors. Also attend to the rust spots and do some rust prevention work (longer term)

Rubbed down the lip of one of the AMGs with emery (coarse, then fine). It's not perfect, but it will do for now. Still to do the same to the others.

Photos to come, once I've done the alloys and bumpers!

Last edited:
Tansanite blue!
I got the chassis number, put it into the Russian website, and it came back with the colour.
So I nipped out to Mercedes Coventry to get a touch up on Friday afternoon.

And the alloys. Absolutelely corroded under the clear laquer - looked terrible.

Hardly any rust. One small spot on one wheelarch - the others looked surprisingly clear. And the boot lock is starting to show signs of rust.

61,000 (verified) miles

And all for well under 5k!

Congratulations.

I quite enjoy reading these types of stories. The bargain MB, mechanically sound, bodywork rough around the edges, just in need of some TLC.

Happy top down motoring.

Now you've got one you're going to have start spelling it correctly. :D
Convertible.

im disgusted,,,i thought when you adopted the e220 you'd keep it for life :rolleyes:
enjoy the new car mate

But the clk was such a whore, I couldn't say no!

That is simlply the 'right' colour scheme. Looking good already:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom