Pleasantly surprised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Insurance renewal is due and my confirmation from Admiral stated over £1,500 for the SLS. A little more than I expected, but I wasn't surprised. Until I did a Go Compare quote that came in at £840 :D

Even better, when I rang them to accept the cheaper policy they sold me a multicar policy (missus's car is up for renewal at the same time)....and the additional discount reduced the SLS to £691! Amazing, given the type and value of the car - I guess at 36 years old, relatively safe postcode, no accidents and only a speed awareness course to my name, I'm regarded as business they want!

For the second car, I didn't actually know what to insure! The missus's M3 goes on Monday and it's going to be replaced at the weekend by either an ML63 or Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Despite only being 29, her quote came in at £560 for the ML and £502 for the RRS....thats £50 less than the last annual cover she took out for....a a significantly cheaper and less powerful BMW M135i!

I feel like I've robbed them :D

Always a great feeling, and some really good numbers there given the value and more or less 1000hp between you!

I seem to have come out of the 'danger zone' age wise, with only £160 separating a 100hp Bora and 500hp CL, but having a female named driver still took £400 off the quote

palm ball can I ask your thoughts on the 08 Mas GT? how was this in terms of being bullet proof and was it a daily driver?

palm ball can I ask your thoughts on the 08 Mas GT? how was this in terms of being bullet proof and was it a daily driver?

It was sh!t. Theres no other way of putting it I'm afraid - the worst (>£20k) car I've ever had.

In the four months I had it, it was my daily driver in the time I could drive it as I had the following under warranty (it was 2 years old and with 7k on the clock):

New exhaust (original one rattled)
New rear lights (original one stopped working)
New instrument cluster (original one stopped working)
New heating control panel (original one didn't work properly)
Gearbox intermittently didn't go into the right gear
Bluetooth never worked reliably (sometimes it would connect, other times it wouldn't)
The Tracker unit kept giving false stolen signals
Couldn't get the wheels balanced in the time I owned the car

It was in and out of Graypaul's every other week and on top of the above:

It wasn't that fast, despite being the 4.7S version - my V8 M3 would show it a clean pair of heels

The seats were atrocious (although I knew, and forgave, this before I bought it)

The telematics system, which as I use my cars for work get used a lot, was generally poor (exactly the same system as fitted to top-end Citroen's and Peugeots)

The Bose stereo was appalling

The handling at speed (i.e. 140mph+ on the autobahn) was concerning - it wasn't a stable drive like you get used to with German cars, and it's (lack of) high speed body control meant it'd corkscrew over bumps - the dealer confirmed all was in order with the suspension and alignment

Unfortunately, I have very little good to say about this piece of sh!t and even got to loathe the sound of it....as it was full of false promise!

Last edited:
wow informative, I wonder if its consistent with other 08's or just a bad batch or something?

Palmball , did you have to disclose to Admiral the speed awareness course , as I understood that Admiral were loading the insurances of people who had been on this , they have a declaration for this on their forms !! B******s ;)

Those prices make me feel sick!

C250 CDI, mid 30s, full NCB, SP30, non fault accident 3 yrs ago with no injury claims, married with 1 kid and still asking mid £500s.

Clearly I must live in Beirut, but don't last time I checked.

What happened to insurance prices going down?!

Palmball , did you have to disclose to Admiral the speed awareness course , as I understood that Admiral were loading the insurances of people who had been on this , they have a declaration for this on their forms !! B******s ;)

I didn't on the online quote because there was nowhere to declare it. However, when I called to complete the deal (I wanted renewals to match, rather then set up a new policy via the online quote) I was asked directly if I had attended one so had to declare it.

I also had to declare a windscreen claim, although they already know about that as I made the claim with them - normally I wouldn't have bothered with windscreen claims but they seem to ask about them these days.

To be fair, the chap said neither made a difference to the price....and at the prices quoted, I wasn't complaining.

Those prices make me feel sick!

C250 CDI, mid 30s, full NCB, SP30, non fault accident 3 yrs ago with no injury claims, married with 1 kid and still asking mid £500s.

Clearly I must live in Beirut, but don't last time I checked.

What happened to insurance prices going down?!

To be fair, I'd have said your quote was more typical - I'm truly shocked at how cheap mine was.

It could just be that something like the SLS has a very low claims history so they treat it as a low risk car....and I do live in an insurance friendly postcode, which I believe makes a huge difference.

Andrew, I have just insured my SLS was £1077.00 with RSA rang A Plan and got a cracking deal £622.00 including mrs P full NCB clean license, Euro cover and legal with Allianz. Will def get quote with them for my other cars when they are due.

Paul

So never one to give in, I was eventually quoted just over £400 via comparison sites. Long story short spoke to my broker noting they were way over this year. They asked for screen shots and 30 minutes later came back with a price match, lower XS and no fees for paying by CC. Result.

I'm told that Hastings Direct are writing a lot of new policies and taking a lot of business at the mo. I was nearly one of them but thanks to the above remained with Highway.

Might be of some use to people, always at least one insurer who is very keen to write new policies...

Andrew, I have just insured my SLS was £1077.00 with RSA rang A Plan and got a cracking deal £622.00 including mrs P full NCB clean license, Euro cover and legal with Allianz. Will def get quote with them for my other cars when they are due.

Paul

Another great quote - these cars can clearly be very cheap to insure.

I've got my other half on my policy and she's only 29 - her 61 year old dad is on too but he actually raised the cost slightly.

Another great quote - these cars can clearly be very cheap to insure.

I've got my other half on my policy and she's only 29 - her 61 year old dad is on too but he actually raised the cost slightly.

That's interesting. I too was always under the impression that premiums increased over 70 as they assume that your reactions and eyesight diminish as you get older. For me at 73 To get the low quote of £622 is quite remarkable

Well I can't believe what's happened today.

Went and bought the ML63 to replace our M3. I'd already arranged insurance for the ML to start next week as, despite needing to take the car home today, I'd anticipated getting the 7 days free cover from Mercedes. Only by the time I'd sorted the deal, Mercs insurance company were shut, so I had to ring Admiral to start the ML's insurance early.

They couldn't do this as it was all part of a multi-car policy deal with the SLS so I had to cancel the lot and start again. Whilst the ML's insurance stayed largely the same, I wasn't prepared for the change in the SLS's insurance changing since Thursday. To a price that was £150 CHEAPER....which as all the details were the same the a Admiral chap said it was just down to changes in daily rates!

So, I've ended up paying £580 for the ML (which is in the missus's name) and £540 for the SLS!

Palmball said:
Well I can't believe what's happened today. Went and bought the ML63 to replace our M3. I'd already arranged insurance for the ML to start next week as, despite needing to take the car home today, I'd anticipated getting the 7 days free cover from Mercedes. Only by the time I'd sorted the deal, Mercs insurance company were shut, so I had to ring Admiral to start the ML's insurance early. They couldn't do this as it was all part of a multi-car policy deal with the SLS so I had to cancel the lot and start again. Whilst the ML's insurance stayed largely the same, I wasn't prepared for the change in the SLS's insurance changing since Thursday. To a price that was £150 CHEAPER....which as all the details were the same the a Admiral chap said it was just down to changes in daily rates! So, I've ended up paying £580 for the ML (which is in the missus's name) and £540 for the SLS!

Stop it now I'm getting very jealous, I may change my daily ride to a sit on lawn mower to try and get comparable rates!

Good result fella, interesting about the daily rate just glad it went in your favour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom