Please help 096 or 019 battery for 2010 E200 W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Faz321

Car
Mercedes E200 W212
Hi Folks,

Please can someone help me identify which replacement battery I need for a Mercedes E200 W212 2010. Is it 019 or 096 AGM (or maybe 017). I'm totally confused...

Online sites are saying 019 when I enter my reg.

Tanya online site is saying 017 (but 096 when I measure my old battery)

I went to Halfords and they said it's a 096 by looking at the size of it.

I phoned some local garages and identified the old battery in there as 096.

The old one is a Mercedes original battery with part number A0045418601, but I don't know if that was the one that came with the car or the previous owner replaced it as I can see some space on the side where the battery sits in the bay. But I have had the car running fine for around 2 years since purchase.

From the above and research I was set to go and get a 096 fitted from National tyres who had a decent price for one. However, National tyres said they won't order a 096 in for it because there system says it needs a 019, and could void warranty. plus 019 is more money.

Please can anyone advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
Call mercedes parts up tomorrow and give them your reg plate and enquire about a battery replacement, parts are usually helpful enough to tell you exactly what you need.

Once they give you a quote just ask what battery it is etc. Though someone else will probably be along to confirm which battery you really need.

Call mercedes parts up tomorrow and give them your reg plate and enquire about a battery replacement, parts are usually helpful enough to tell you exactly what you need.

Once they give you a quote just ask what battery it is etc. Though someone else will probably be along to confirm which battery you really need.

Hi Bert,

Thank you for your suggestion but I tried this already...
they said they don't class their batteries with numbers like 019 or 096 as this is UK uniformity code or something which they don't follow.

As for part numbers they said they don't give them out - strange but yeah.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Put your Reg in here - can highly recommend Tayna for batteries. I’d go for Varta.

@Faz321 What's your reg. number ?

Put your Reg in here - can highly recommend Tayna for batteries. I’d go for Varta.

Thanks but already tried that too and no joy.

According to Tanya:

When entering my reg It's coming up as 017 which doesn't agree with anyone else.

When entering the make and model etc on their website it is coming up with 019.

So I spoke to them and they said to measure my old battery, which I did and then accordingly to that they said I need 096.

However, again the issue is 096 might do as that's the battery type the car has in it currently but might not be the correct one. And national tyre won't fit 096 only 019, which is more dear.

Thanks

What’s your vin

I'd go with an 019 it has higher cold cranking power and higher capacity but the dimensions are identical height and width but It is 354mm long and the 096 is 278mm. Out with the measuring tape :)

Also you mentioned 017. That would work too it is the same as 019 except slightly lower CCA and capacity.

I put a 115 in my e350. F27 varta should also fit yours . Measure the tray for length , its probably around 330 mm. Also that tanya website is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I'd go with an 019 it has higher cold cranking power and higher capacity but the dimensions are identical height and width but It is 354mm long and the 096 is 278mm. Out with the measuring tape :)

Typical! The tray length is around 330mm, definitely not 354mm, so I think 019 won't fit?

I put a 115 in my e350. F27 varta should also fit yours . Measure the tray for length , its probably around 330 mm. Also that tanya website is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Yes tray length looks 330mm.
Baffles me why the current battery in there is 096 (278mm) and why websites/garages are showing as 019.

Update

Spoke to MB again.
Thought I'll try to get the part number, again, but no luck!

Though I gave them the old battery part number and they did confirm the old battery is correct but they don't recommend it anymore and to go with their replacement battery which is bigger, for £204.

Probably best for me to go with 115 AGM

Yes tray length looks 330mm.
Baffles me why the current battery in there is 096 (278mm) and why websites/garages are showing as 019.
When I replaced my CLK battery from Tayna, best place to buy from, I found that there were two different sized batteries that were supposed to fit. Apparently they left the factory with different batteries dependent on how many electrical options it had from new. A basic spec car had a smaller battery, but the tray was big enough to fit a larger sized one with electric everything picked on the option list, the clamp that secured it was different for each battery though.

Just measure your battery & buy the one that has the same dimensions and it will fit. Obviously make sure the plus and minus terminals are in the same position.

Update

Spoke to MB again.
Thought I'll try to get the part number, again, but no luck!

Though I gave them the old battery part number and they did confirm the old battery is correct but they don't recommend it anymore and to go with their replacement battery which is bigger, for £204.

Probably best for me to go with 115 AGM

I was in dire straights and needed a battery ASAP. I bought a halfords 115 agm which are supposed to be a varta branded battery . £142.

This (096) Varta has the same fitment as the part number you quoted in Post#1

Hi Folks,

Please can someone help me identify which replacement battery I need for a Mercedes E200 W212 2010. Is it 019 or 096 AGM (or maybe 017). I'm totally confused...

Online sites are saying 019 when I enter my reg.

Tanya online site is saying 017 (but 096 when I measure my old battery)

I went to Halfords and they said it's a 096 by looking at the size of it.

I phoned some local garages and identified the old battery in there as 096.

The old one is a Mercedes original battery with part number A0045418601, but I don't know if that was the one that came with the car or the previous owner replaced it as I can see some space on the side where the battery sits in the bay. But I have had the car running fine for around 2 years since purchase.

From the above and research I was set to go and get a 096 fitted from National tyres who had a decent price for one. However, National tyres said they won't order a 096 in for it because there system says it needs a 019, and could void warranty. plus 019 is more money.

Please can anyone advice?

Thanks
Hi FAZ
Just looked your battery up by MB OE No from spareto..co.uk

A0045418601 - Starter battery OE number by MERCEDES-BENZ​

MERCEDES-BENZ: A0045418601, A 004 541 86 01
OE Number - stands for Original Equipment Number - the number of complete component or sub-assembly that was originally fitted to the vehicle. OE Number is interchangeable with the term Genuine Number

Replacement parts compatible with OE numbers​

We can deliver replacement part to your door in United Kingdom on 11 December

Starter Battery

EXIDE ® EK700​

Starter Battery

£136.12​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom