Please Help: Accidently change comand aps version from Euro to US

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennytct

Car
CLS 350
Hi all,

I have accidently changed my comand aps version from ECE Euro version to USA version. Initially my headunit sw version is SW-Rel 9.390 Build 17/04 (part no W211 589 06 22 00). I was able to access to the engineering mode and the hidden menu as well. I was also able to unlock my comand to play DVD in motion and enable mp3.

However, about 2 weeks ago I accidently pressed the format flash option while in the engineering mode. After the format when I restart the ignition, my comand stuck in the software update screen. Even after the car key is taken out, the comand refused to turn off and keep displaying the software update screen. I believed some other user had experience this scenario before. ( pls refer My MP3 Upgrade with pictures - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums )

I become panicked as I am afraid that I won’t be able to start the car if something is not done to correct the problem as the comand will used up all the car battery power. Unfortunately, this incident happens on Saturday night where the Mercedes service center in my country (Malaysia) is closed on Sunday and only open on Monday.

So I turned to the web to search for solution. I found a firmware compatible for my car W219 from a torrent site with the part no W211 589 14 22 00. Without caring about the firmware version (as I am more concern about the car battery at that moment) I downloaded it and install into my comand on Sunday morning. The installation completed smoothly and my comand worked again. However, I have lost the DVD feature with this firmware. When I press the Video button, instead of DVD, the comand is now showing Satellite Radio. Other features are functioning (including NAVI) except in SERV, a few options are gone eg: System option.

So immediately on Monday morning, I visited the Mercedes service center and told them my problem. The mechanic there tried to install the Euro version SW-REL 21.090 30/06 (part no W211 589 13 22 00) but is rejected by the comand with a message “Wrong Variant” (He pressed “1+3+8” to access the update mode).

Until now (after more than 10 days of trying) I am still stuck with this US version. I have tried using Developer Mode DAS (STAR DIAGNOSIS) to tried flash the comand unit but without success. I have tried the Control Unit Programming in the DAS Developer, but receive a message that sounded like “This Control Unit cannot be programmed using DAS but Service Update CD programming is possible”

I have also tried to format the flash again via the Engineering Mode (this time with a new combination keys since the “SERV + Mute + Hangup” is no longer working) but the comand did not turn to Software Update screen as before with the older firmware. It seems like the comand will reinstall itself after restart.

I have run out of idea on how to install ECE Euro version back into my comand. I hope there are experts out there who can advise me on how to solve this problem. Thanks.

PS: To access engineering mode for sw version 46/06, press SERV then LANG softkey and immediately press “Hangup + Diagonal Upper Left Arrow + Audio”

Alfie and Richard, please help. I am willing to pay a reasonable price to solve this prob. BTW DieselBenz ask me to contact you guys.

So You have

1) Enabled TV In Motion, to ILLEGALLY watch the TV on the move
2) Downloaded Firmware ILLEGALLY to update the system
3) Played around in a mode the was designed for Engineers not for the General public.

and now you want to put it all back to where it was for a low cost........

I think there is a moral here somewhere:wallbash:

hi chatton,

firstly, yeah i admit its my mistake or maybe curiousity that had bring me this problem. But its legal in malaysia to have dvd in motion. i am not trying to get cheap solution to this problem here but to share my experience exploring the comand with you all.

i shall post if i ever get this solved. thanks for ur comment anyway...

Chattonmill - I think you are being somewhat harsh and not very helpful here. Are you really an expert on Malaysian motoring law?

How about something constructive to actually help the OP?

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that tinkering with stuff that you dont understand can cause serious problems.
Downloading torrents such as this is illegal in this country anyway, not sure about Malaysia, but Merc wouldnt be particularly amused to find pirated content on the Comand. These Torrents are notoriously unreliable as they can be full of bugs and viruses.
Whether DVD in motion is illegal or not it is viewed in a bad light by most on here so mentioning that he has done it does not really help the OP's cause much!
The OP is on the right lines to get this sorted, Alfie and Richard are the ones to talk to....The PROFESSIONALS!

Last edited:
The point of my post was to highlight the fact that tinkering with stuff that you dont understand can cause serious problems.
Downloading torrents such as this is illegal in this country anyway, not sure about Malaysia, but Merc wouldnt be particularly amused to find pirated content on the Comand. These Torrents are notoriously unreliable as they can be full of bugs and viruses.
Whether DVD in motion is illegal or not it is viewed in a bad light by most on here so mentioning that he has done it does not really help the OP's cause much!
The OP is on the right lines to get this sorted, Alfie and Richard are the ones to talk to....The PROFESSIONALS!

So your telling us that you personally have never downloaded anything off the net that has some kind of copyright ????

I admit that ive got the latest version command disc via a torrent and its working perfectly for the last 6 months.

The guy has a problem, lets help him instead of bolloking him for what he has or what he has done, we are all sinners one way or another.

I'm not bollocking anyone, but discussing TV in motion tends to get a very negative response(Search the forum).
I have said that he is on the right lines with Richard and Alfie, as he cant PM and we cant advertise there is little else I can do to point him in the direction of Comand Ltd.
The Engineering mode is locked for just this reason hence the:wallbash:

I agree there is a negative feeling towards enabling TV in motion, but I'm sure that's mainly because it is illegal in this country. Your insurance may also be invalidated too.
If however, it is legal to use this feature in Malaysia, I see we have no right to frown upon it really.

Different countries, different rules.

I do not have the answer on how to get out of your mess - I will leave that to the experts.

I am very surprised that driver's TV in motion is legal in Malaysia. I have made a note not to go there if it involves me being ferried anywhere on the road thanks very much!

The reason TV in motion gets a negative response is that most people who drive Mbs and are on this forum are sensible and can see the stupidity. Anyone that has been in an accident with a drunk whose insurance will not pay up might understand what I am saying.

We have all downloaded stuff from the internet, yes, but IF this one was downloaded in order to enable TV in motion, then, frankly I am on Chatton's side here...

Hi Hal Adams,

Firstly in Malaysia, you can have the DVD in motion but its for the passengers. There's nothing to be surprised with. Its like some countries they allowed marijuana. Can we just let go the DVD in motion issue?

Secondly please refer to my very first post, I didnt download the firmware just to enable DVD in motion. I download it when the comand is stuck at "Software Update" screen. I apologise if my post offended anyone. But from now on can we focus on the real issue? How to change a comand aps version?

Hi Hal Adams,

Firstly in Malaysia, you can have the DVD in motion but its for the passengers. There's nothing to be surprised with. Its like some countries they allowed marijuana. Can we just let go the DVD in motion issue?

Secondly please refer to my very first post, I didnt download the firmware just to enable DVD in motion. I download it when the comand is stuck at "Software Update" screen. I apologise if my post offended anyone. But from now on can we focus on the real issue? How to change a comand aps version?

If by any chance a resolution cannot be found here then try asking /searching elsewhere, a good source to start of is at MBWorld.org Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Community its an MB site over in the states.

Hope thats of any help to you...

Hi Hal Adams,

The bottom line is that you are not qualified in this area. It's like pressing the red button because it says delete. Not realising it deletes the planet and not the typing error.

People with money have no more skill than people with no money. Thus proving that experience beats persistence.

Does the variant setting menu still work since your slip up?

Press and hold 5 and then also 3 and then also 7 - after a few secs you should get the variant menu where you can hopefully select W219_ECE and then via the top left soft button called "keypad", also select the same model.

In theory that should take you back to ECE spec with the correct menus and soft keys.....(or possibly to the point where the correct head update will load).

Good luck!

Last edited:
mmm - this is interesting to me, I never new about the variant menu options.
I have the 'older' firmware in my R171 comand, and therefore have all of the options available such as TV in motion. What I haven't got, though - and what I want - is the most recent firmware that shows nav ETA. I'm not bothered about TV in motion, & have purchased an upgrade disc (arrived yesterday) but when I tried to use it, I just got the message 'wrong variant' and the head unit spat out the disc.
Has anyone else had this problem? Might changing the variant resolve this issue? I know that the SLK comand is slihgtly (physically) different to the e-class etc - but to the best of my knowledge it is functionally identical.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Paul G

Can't the local dealer just wipe it and blast it back to factory defaults ? I know they tried a DVD - but it sounds to my un-educated ears like they used the wrong DVD as well - hence the variant message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom