Please help C180 W203 check engine light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zarif

Car
Mercedes C180
hi, i have Mercedes c180 w203 2002 petrol and having a check engine light issue.
i went to Mercedes dealer and he has identify the below faults.

1. CAM shaft sensor
2. Air MASS sensor
3. Purge Valve
4. CAM solenoid

my question is how on the earth it can be that many faulty sensors in my car in one day. they said they will charge me 1000£ approximately to fix all
those faults. i can not afford 1000£ for this car. too expensive so decided to do it myself.

Yesterday i replaced Air Mass sensor and CAM shaft sensor as it is just 10 minutes job. Both the parts are OEM quality. after that i just went to
local mechanic and he said he can not reset my check engine light.
so i went to different mechanic today better one but not the MB dealer and he cleared all the code forcefully by plugging OBD fault code reader. i am not
sure the name of the machine/device but as he is not MB dealer so it was not MB STAR machine.

after 5 minutes the check engine light came back again and when he plugged inn the machine it says CAM shaft position sensor which i replaced yesterday.
Any idea what can be the issue thanks in advance

thanks for your time, but they have not told me the codes but on the invoice they listed the above faults.

Could well be worn cam shaft gears/stretched timing chain.are you around the 100k mark?

sorry i see what you mean, you are asking about the CAM shaft position sensor code. i do not know the code as the mechanic just told me the description of the fault.

yes my current millage is 130K but these chain last about 250000 miles, i might be wrong as i heard it from others.

thanks martyz. what is cam shaft gears?

yes my current millage is 130K but these chain last about 250000 miles, i might be wrong as i heard it from others.

there are issues with the early 203's that result in chain stretch/worn cam shaft
gears around your mileage unfortunately. If the cam is not being read by the
sensor at the exact time each rotation it will trigger a fault code,which will be
cam position sensor.

Last edited:
thanks martyz for your time. so is that mean i need new timing chain if yes then is there any way i can check or make sure that it is timing chain?

As timing chain is very expensive part.

Check for any slack,it should be tight,look for wear on gears,put the engine on tdc and check timing marks,sorry don't have information on these to hand(do a search,should come up with info for you) good luck.:thumb:

hi, any idea what is purge valve mean as initially they identified that my purge valve need to be replaced as well. is there any connection between purge valve and CAM shaft position sensor. also my car did not start in first self/ignition today, it started in second self/ignition but it is running better.
any idea?

zarif said:
hi, any idea what is purge valve mean as initially they identified that my purge valve need to be replaced as well. is there any connection between purge valve and CAM shaft position sensor. also my car did not start in first self/ignition today, it started in second self/ignition but it is running better. any idea?

You sure it's not the crank position sensor (I think they have a cam and crank sensor)!? On the back of the engine (on the bell house and a pita)? Mines been dying and literally died again today (booked in Monday) that would give a P0335 code....symptoms are hard to start, get temperature sensitive (mine killed the car in traffic today as the engine bay got too hot)

well. no body identified that the Crank shaft sensor is faulty. but mine is not hard to start it is just the first time in the morning it starts in second self rather than first. rest of the day it is fine. i normally use my car 3-4 times a day so all other times it is fine it is just the first time in the morning.

In 2002 the engine was changed from the M111 to M271. The later engine is more economical but has issues, particularly with the timing chain stretching. Check you VIN number - it will start with one or other of these numbers and tell you which one you have.

A failing purge valve will give air mass codes

In 2002 the engine was changed from the M111 to M271. The later engine is more economical but has issues, particularly with the timing chain stretching. Check you VIN number - it will start with one or other of these numbers and tell you which one you have.

thanks mate. my VIN number is WDC2030352R067554 but i am not sure that whether it is M111 or M271. i am happy to change the timing chain as well but if the check light still not disappear then it is some thing else not sure what to do

thanks WG M-B. but MB dealer said i have to change both Air Mass as well as purge valve. can doggy purge valve cause starting issue in the morning? i mean can the purge valve cause my car not start in first self in the morning?

Sorry, Zarif, should have said engine serial number not VIN. This will be in your service booklet you have one but should certainly be on your registration (V5?) document. It will start with "M"

Sorry again, doesn't start with M but is 14 digits long, all numbers.

sorry for late reply. i have just checked the vehicle catagory is M1 and Engine Number is 111951324385..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom