Please help - cannot open boot, and no battery in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markyboy0001

Car
CLK230K Sport
1998 CLK230 Sport
I cannot get into my bootlid as my battery has been removed so can't work off the buttons and the key is turning both ways but won't release it. I read some of the threads from other people and so I tried to connect power to the port under the bonnet but this also won't work (I'm assuming this is because there is not a full circuit as the battery terminals are not connected to anything)
Until I get the boot open to fit the battery I cannot use my car. Is there another way of getting into the boot? Please help this has been a complete nightmare!
:doh:

1998 CLK230 Sport
I cannot get into my bootlid as my battery has been removed so can't work off the buttons and the key is turning both ways but won't release it. I read some of the threads from other people and so I tried to connect power to the port under the bonnet but this also won't work (I'm assuming this is because there is not a full circuit as the battery terminals are not connected to anything)
Until I get the boot open to fit the battery I cannot use my car. Is there another way of getting into the boot? Please help this has been a complete nightmare!
:doh:

Is your user manual too in the trunk? You could read it to be sure you are trying to open the boot correctly with the metal key.

Another option is to feed power from an appropriate cable joint elsewhere in the car (assuming the battery cables are placed safely, the positive cable protected from ground contacts. The forum is full of examples where to feed power.

Welcome to the forum.

there are two power up connections 1 is in the n/s footwell and other is under the bonnet n/s just in front of star plug in box, there is a small black box lift the cover and you will find red live wires connect your battery + to this and other too earth
it will put power to the car

Thanks Diesel Benz, I checked the owners manual and I was turning in the correct way, I think it is broken inside due to lack of use ( I spent 2 hours with WD40 getting it clean). I've also tried connecting power to what I think were the right terminals on the passenger side under the bonnet, but no good.
I'll keep trying

CKLclive thanks for reply. I've looked in the footwell and there are hundreds of wires! I assume this should be a think red wire or similar? I'll check out under the bonnet next, thanks again

Dont you have to press the button in after you lock/unlock it with the key ? And look for a removable panel in the n/s footwell for jumping terminals maybe

Yes you have to turn key to the left then push in, nut this doesn't work - I think the mechanism must be damaged. I've also tried power to the terminal under the bonnet with good earth, this also failed. These are both of the emergency entries so it looks as though I'll have to break through somehow or go to Mercedes garage £££££££££

right if you go to n/s footwell you will see red power cables connect + side to your battery and the other to a good ground/earth on the body somewhere then this will
power to the car ,you can even start it in this mode

I've pulled the footwell right apart and there are so many wires and none that are clear to me which are power therefore I do not dare to try this way. I have however managed to access through the centre part of the rear seat area (where the ski storage is and I can now see the terminals but cannot reach them. I am looking for the latches in order to pull down one of the rear seats and then access the terminals to connect the battery. Problem is I cannot see these latches even after refering to the owners manual. Unless there are simply to far away to reach.
I'll keep trying but any more ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the replies people

I'm in! At last. All of the above would not work. On the advice of a friend I painfully drilled a hole directly above the key barrel on the boot and managed to get access the vaccume pipe which I pulled about and squeezed and the boot simply popped open straight away.
I can honestly say that we could not see any other way in.
Thanks for the help and advice

Well done shame but good job ! Whatever it takes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom