Please Help CLS320 CDI in Limp Mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stumpy1981

Car
2011 Mercedes CLS350 CDI (W218)
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice regarding my 2005 CLS320 CDI, yesterday it went into limp mode. Had the codes read with a OBDII Snap-On scanner. The codes are as follows;
  • 2078 - Check component B28/8 (Pressure differential sensor (DPF) ). The signal voltage is too low.
  • 2355 - Check system Exhaust gas recirculation control. The air mass is too large.
  • 2030 - Check component G3/2 (O2 sensor upstream of KAT). Signal wire open circuit.
  • 2038 - Check component G3/2 (O2 sensor upstream of KAT). Resistance too small.
  • 2195 - Heating Check component G3/2 (O2 sensor upstream of KAT). Signal wire open circuit.
I'm thinking that the o2 sensor needs changing, but what I don't know is if the DPF sensor code and the EGR code are because of the bad o2 sensor or if they too need changing?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Cheers

Did you try to clear the faults and see what came back or check if any were historic and maybe unrelated to the current problem

If possible have it scanned with Star, it may well be more specific and save you time and money chasing the problem. Unfortunately a lot of generic OBD scanners can be fairly non-specific or need additional knowledge and expertise to interpret.

Did you try to clear the faults and see what came back or check if any were historic and maybe unrelated to the current problem

If possible have it scanned with Star, it may well be more specific and save you time and money chasing the problem. Unfortunately a lot of generic OBD scanners can be fairly non-specific or need additional knowledge and expertise to interpret.

Thanks for the reply. The fault codes were cleared and came back, all I'm wondering is if the other 2 codes could be related to the bad o2 sensor, or is that not possible?

Cheers.

Agree that a better scan might reduce the unknowns, but taken as it is my path forward would be as follows.

Verify clean and proper voltage. A simple refreshing of battery terminals by disassembly, wire brushing and tightening can eliminate low voltage. Check the voltage following to be sure it’s adequate.

Check the wiring to the O2 and DPF sensors. Might be chafed, abraded or chewed (critters).

Run engine and codes again to see if any drop off.

If still present it may be time for the O2 and DPF sensors.

The EGR looks like it is stuck open. There are some tests you can perform to see if the controller is full of soot otherwise....

How many miles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree that a better scan might reduce the unknowns, but taken as it is my path forward would be as follows.

Verify clean and proper voltage. A simple refreshing of battery terminals by disassembly, wire brushing and tightening can eliminate low voltage. Check the voltage following to be sure it’s adequate.

Check the wiring to the O2 and DPF sensors. Might be chafed, abraded or chewed (critters).

Run engine and codes again to see if any drop off.

If still present it may be time for the O2 and DPF sensors.

The EGR looks like it is stuck open. There are some tests you can perform to see if the controller is full of soot otherwise....

How many miles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. It’s got 141,000

DPF pressure sensor failed. You may have an EGR fault too and a blocked DPF. Replace the DPF sensor. Re-set ALL the adaptation data and see how you get on.

DPF pressure sensor failed. You may have an EGR fault too and a blocked DPF. Replace the DPF sensor. Re-set ALL the adaptation data and see how you get on.

Sorry for the late reply been working. Thanks for the advise. I have bought both the lambda sensor and the DPF sensor (both Bosch) and my friend is fitting them on Wednesday for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom