Please help I'm going insane with indecision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhysC63?

Car
E350 2015 9g AMG Prem Plus, previously C63
I'm looking for a family estate car, having been told by my wife to grow up and buy a proper car that will accommodate her, our daughter, our dog some luggage and a kayak on the roof now and again.

Heart says: C63 Estate
Mind says: C350 Sport Plus Estate

Money wise, I can certainly afford the C63 and it's associated costs, I don't really see myself as ever "struggling" to finance such a car - however, my mind (and my wife, truth be told) is telling me that I cannot possibly justify the extra expense just to satisfy my boy-racer needs to hear and feel that v8 power.

I've had a test drive of the C63 and fell in love immediately, I've not tried the C350 yet (finding it hard to locate one). My previous car was a Maserati 3200GT (twin turbo 3.2L V8) and before that I was driving a Porsche 928GT (5.0L NA V8). I still own the 928, so I suppose I could put that back on the road to get my V8 fix and have the C350 for everyday use.

I changed my mind 6 times yesterday. When I woke this morning it was the c63 I was thinking of, by the time I had my second coffee, I was back to C350. I'm driving myself nuts here. Although I'm not a partuicularily thrifty person, there would be something quite satisfying about the great performance of the C350 considering it's excellent MPG figures. I'm also getting more cautious in terms of driving style (had a bit of a scare in the Maserati, which is why it's no longer with us) but there is something about the c63 experience that I just don't want to give up.

So go on...knock yourelves out and give me the benefit of your collective wisdom...what should I do..settle for mediocrity? go for it and enjoy watching the fuel gauge drop...leave the wife, sell my daughter and get a c63 BS?

you live once. dont be caught out wondering how that guy in the 63 feels as he zooms past you in his 63 with a large smug grin on his face...

That said only go for it if your finances comfortably allow.

Are you referring to a C350 petrol or diesel?

C63 sedan will that not serve the purpose for you. Go in for C63

Are you referring to a C350 petrol or diesel?

I had assumed petrol from the description and the statement that he's finding it hard to locate one - however I believe that the C350 petrol has been dropped in Estate & Saloon form in the UK.

Mercedes-Benz UK - Overview - C-Class Estate engines & performance specs

No metion of the Petrol V6 here :(

"The engine line-up for the latest C-Class Estate comprises two superb four-cylinder petrol engines, the C 180 BlueEFFICIENCY and the C 250 BlueEFFICIENCY."

It's a shame as the new C350 sounds like a great engine with decent fuel economy for a large petrol. I wouldn''t imagine it would be difficult to find a C350 CDI wagon...

Yes to clarify - the decision is between C63 Estate and C350 Estate CDI - I don't think the Petrol 350 is available in the UK. When I say I've found it hard to locate a C350 Estate for a test drive, what I really mean is that the Dealer I went into for the C63 drive didn't have one and neither did the dealer down the road, but I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find one to test drive.

Hi i have owned a few c63s you say cost is not a issue so the answer is simple - c63 or better still the c63bs.

who is the man in the house:D. get the c63

Best of both worlds then; C350 CDi with a Brabus box takes you to 310bhp (iirc).

But if you don't mind 15-20mpg, it's got to be an AMG though... Having said that, I think it's possible to lease (if you're that way inclined?) a C63 for less than a C350 CDi.

get the 63 and have the dealer rebadge it 350 to satisfy your wife :)

AMG, there really is no substitute.

I'm looking for a family estate car, having been told by my wife to grow up and buy a proper car that will accommodate her, our daughter, our dog some luggage and a kayak on the roof now and again.

Unless it's hand luggage, with the daughter and the dog you'll find a compact C lacking.

An E is what you need (space wise, anyway).

The difference is significant.

Not wishing to overstate the importance of your choice of car here. Have you considered a divorce. Could you hire a cleaning and cooking lady?

C63 it has to be.

I know that Rhys has clarified his choice as being C63 or C350CDI, but I went through the same "which one" mind bending between the C63 and the C350CGI. I test drove both, although only managed to get the C63 for a couple of hours compared to the C350 for a day. There's no arguing that the C63 provides masses of excitement and a big grin (although not as big as I had recently driving a track-prepared Ferrari 360 round Silverstone last week!). But after an hour or so the harsh ride and loud (but delightful) exhaust roar became less appealing. But driving the C350 around for a few hours left me feeling comfortable whilst still able to leave for dead pretty much everything else on the public road. For me it's the very best compromise of performance and comfort. Certainly a vastly superior family car.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I got one of the last petrol C350s in the country. Lots of the paupers on here ;) rave about the C350CDI, presumably immune to the start-up bag of nails, but with performance similar to the petrol version I would suggest that as the best choice to make (or look for a nearly new C350 petrol!)

Try a E350 if you can't find a C then at least you'll have experienced the engine and will be better informed.

To be honest (although biased) I'm with John, if you need space then the C is still too compact, I'd be looking at an E350 Sport with a Brabus D6 fitted.

Torque is King and this has it in buckets!

Nearly bought an E63 myself but went with the Diesel Sport instead.

In the real world it's more than enough and getting 36mpg round town and 45-50 on a run is always pleasing.

Having said that, I WILL HAVE AN AMG ONE DAY! :D

If you can afford it then it has to be the C63. I went through exactly the same when I bought mine. Then spent ages changing my mind on the spec/colour etc.
Just because its an AMG doesnt mean you have to drive everywhere at 100mph - its the power and torque on tap which is the key for me. In fact I rarely do more than 70 on the motorway in mine. Its the ability to get past a line of cars when you want on A roads or put a big grin on your face at will that is what makes it special for me.
I have a dog,wife and daughter[not in that order!] and find it big enough for me,but we are all different.
The more time you spend thinking about it the more confused you will become.
Oh, and I can get 26 mpg out of mine if I want. But thats not the point of these.

it's not a simple power and torque comparison ..

AMG has a much more responsive gearbox, much better brakes, substantially better handling, tuned suspension, better seats etc.

And of course the sound it makes needs no comment ...

If you stick with 18" wheels, ride will be fine.

Petrol is only going to get more expensive, so delaying your AMG thrills to "one day" merely means it will be more expensive when you get round to it.

Last edited:
I've got some comparative finance quotes on both vehicles now - and it's starting to look like a no brainer:

6+23 12k p/a on the C350 CDI Sports Plus £429 inc Vat
6+23 12k p/a on a C63 £555 inc Vat

So to keep it simple. lets assume 40mpg on 350 and 20 mpg on C63, which would mean that the average 1000 miles per month would cost me about £160 more in fuel.

So thats a delta of about £286 per month. Or £10 ish a day.

Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that :D

Rhys

Think of the money you will save after your divorce. Add this to Choral Symphony that a C63 engine would introduce into your ear holes. Woman everywhere will find your car a magnet that will leave you fighting them off with a sh!tty stick.

You know you want it......

So thats a delta of about £286 per month. Or £10 ish a day.

Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that :D

Well, when ya put it like that! :D

Where do I sign?? :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom