Please help...no indicators/wipers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matty77

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
I'm really hoping someone can offer a little advice.

Here's what's happened so far with my CLK.

On Wednesday when I got in the car I noticed the Comand system wasn't working. I checked the fuse and it was fine.

But worse was to come :(

Later that day when I went to indicate to make a turn there was nothing. No indicators. No dash light turn signal. Nothing!

So I tried my wipers. Nothing. Wiper Jet. Nothing.

The only function remaining on the stalk was full beam activation when flipping the stalk forward. Nothing else worked.

So I got on here and searched for answers. I read that it could be a faulty front SAM unit causing these problems and it was a fairly easy job to replace the unit. So I bought a 2nd hand unit from Dronsfields in Oldham and replaced it this morning. Btw, it came with relays but I replaced them with the relays from the outgoing unit.

When I reconnected the battery I found that the Comand unit was working fine again, but I still had nothing from the stalk. Not one function had returned.

So I then did a swap of relays, one by one, with a relay from the new unit, to see if it had been a relay fault causing this problem. But no, that didn't solve the problem either.

So in summary, I've checked all the fuses, checked all the relays, replaced the front SAM unit and still nothing :)

The car is my daily driver and to compound matters the MOT runs out in a couple of days, which I was expecting the car to fly through as until now it's been faultless.

I'm wondering if Dronsfields have sold me a unit that wasn't checked thoroughly which might have had a fault.

Either that or I'm thinking it's the actual stalk itself.

Can anybody offer any help, guidance or suggestions? I'd be so grateful.

Anybody replaced a stalk? How tough is the job? I guess I might have to search that subject soon.

Thanks for reading. Hoping that someone can offer me some sound advice that doesn't involve visiting a main dealer and losing and arm and a leg so close to Christmas ;)

Last edited:
Have you checked the fuses in box on the passenger side?
Below is a W202, not sure if yours is the same set up.

eBay example… Mercedes W202 W208 W210 C230 C280 Overload Protection Relay K40 Relay Genuine | eBay

Dec
attachment.php

Attachments

• k40.jpg
    k40.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom