Please HELP with my Comand??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Clark

Car
E220 CDI Avantegarde
Hi all,

Just joined to hopefully get some desperately needed help.

I have a 2005 E Class 220 with standard fit Comand. All was well then the following started:

1 - Stereo/Nav working but left hand front door speaker started hissing and distortion started from rear left door speaker.
2 - Left hand speakers started cutting out completely.
3 - Then loud crackling/humming from left hand speakers. Even when Comand turned off, the noise continued. EVEN with the ignition off, it continued for 2 or 3 minutes more???????
4 - Now i have lost the radio and CD complete (display still ok) and get nothing but unbearable continuous distortion noise from left speakers.
WITH COMAND OFF!! How??

I have had to disconnect a lead to the Car Navigation CD reader in the boot (next to the fuses) for this to stop.
BUT now the stereo or CD wont work.

Please please help.

Cheers
Dave:doh:

Try getting help from:

Comand Online Ltd

The proprietors, Alfie and Richard, are members on this forum.

Depending on where you are in the UK, might be worth your while to go and see them in Lightwater.

Comand in your E class consists of multiple parts - at least the following

Head unit (i.e display)
Nav unit (in the boot)
AGW (in the boot between inner and outer wings above the nav unit)

And optionally
Phone, CDC, TV, Linguatronic

They are connected in a ring on fibre-optics, so if any component is powered off (or fails in certain ways) the whole system stops. That is why disconnecting the lead to the nav drive stopped the noise and stopped the system.

The AGW is the amplifier, tuner and diagnostic gateway. If you have Harmon Kardon then the AGW is a beefed up one with the HK amplifier in it.

It sounds like the AGW has got its knickers in a twist and died, so Pull the fuse for it, wait 10 seconds and re-insert. Its the 40A fuse in the fusebox next to the nav drive, but I cant quite remember which one - near the bottom I think

But, the sound fault you describe could also be caused by an interuption on the fibre optic bus (as the sound is going through it), so could be something else failing too

So, if that doesnt fix it, you need some diagnosis time..

R

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply.

There is a space above the Car Navigation unit for something else to slide in, would that be for the AGW.
Or it looks like there's a box of tricks to the rhs of it, with the fuse.
I'll check the fuse chart and try the 10 second thing and let you know.

Where are you based?

Cheers
DC

a) Thats for the TV tuner.
b) The AGW is tucked up high between the outer wing and inner wing, you can't see it really
c) The box of tricks to the rhs is the 'Rear SAM' incorporating the rear fusebox.

SAM is signal aquisition module, all the rear end lights and sensors connect to it, and it connects to the car's CANbus network. Saves loads of wiring, and also does short-circuit protection, bulb failure detection etc etc etc

Lightwater in Surrey (M3 J3)

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom