Please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevenbean

Car
Cls 350 2006
Hi i have a 2006 cls 350 petrol and I have major airmatic issues. It was faulty when I got the car but did not know at the time.
To my knowledge the drivers side rear airstrut has broken. I bought a 2nd hand replacement but that failed as well. Tried a new compressor and relay but nothing works. I am at the point of just replacing the lot with traditional springs but have no idea what set to buy.
Please can someone help I have literally no suspension whatsoever but have to drive the car to get to work.
Any help would be really appreciated

Looks like you're in for a bumpy ride, but fear not, I'm sure someone on here will be along who can help, they're quite a knowledgeable lot. In the meantime, welcome to the forum. :thumb:

Awesome thankyou AMGeed,
Its throwing codes for an open circuit on the rear drivers side

Yeah I've tried them but the price went from 1k to 3k in a single phone call so I lost faith tbh

Gosh .

Let's us know how you get on in Clevedon .

Will do thankyou
I'm this close to getting the arnott c-2278 kit and doing it myself

Ok chaps,
It is not only the airmatic but my balance shaft has worn as well so I'm looking at around 4k worth of repairs. As a result I'm going to cut my losses, I am considering an s class 2008 for around 5k. Are there any reasons I shouldn't do this? And things to look out for.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

If your car is otherwise fine, it might be worth just taking the pain and repairing it. An old S class could be a money pit waiting to happen.

It's a fair arguement.
I've kind of lost faith in the car though tbh
Would I be safer with an E-class instead

A nice late 2008/9 w211 would be my choice

It's a fair arguement.
I've kind of lost faith in the car though tbh
Would I be safer with an E-class instead

Not necessarily.

A CLS is pretty much an E Class with a 4 door coupe body.

If you buy an E Class without AirMATIC air suspension, and the same could be argued for a CLS without AirMATIC, you won't be spending out on expensive replacement struts etc. which you've already faced the potential of.

S Class has AirMATIC as standard as a minimum.

Whether you go for another CLS or E Class, or in fact anything, research out models with a reliable engine and gearbox combo (e.g avoid the M273 / M278 engines up to the late noughties I think it is if you can).

Then try to find one which has been cared for, is in good condition and ideally has a full service history, that's all you can do really.

The rest is luck!

If the issues you faced with the CLS are causing you concern for financial or convenience issues (i.e. it's inconvenient if it brakes for how you wish to use the car), then a simpler car has less potential to give you grief and hopefully that will bear out so maybe go for one with less options and as above, without air.

Forum cars for sale are often owned by enthusiasts and well looked after but always caveat emptor!

Then cross your fingers.

Fantastic thankyou for your advice.
How would I know what engine/gearbox combo is in the car though. Sorry if that's a dumb question with an obvious answer

If the issues you faced with the CLS are causing you concern for financial or convenience issues (i.e. it's inconvenient if it brakes for how you wish to use the car), then a simpler car has less potential to give you grief and hopefully that will bear out so maybe go for one with less options and as above, without air.

Breaks. :rolleyes:

Fantastic thankyou for your advice.
How would I know what engine/gearbox combo is in the car though. Sorry if that's a dumb question with an obvious answer

That comes through research on forums like this one.

Things change though so probably the easiest thing to do it to narrow down your search and select a handful of cars you like and then post up on here as you have to see what the knowledge is.

Starting with fuel choice helps (and I presume you have decided on petrol given the car you bought) as this will rule out a fair few based on availability (e.g. a late W211 is not that common in petrol guise when compared to diesel).

I refer you to post #15 line 4! I can't see ABC mentioned or the button for it in the dash so I suspect AirMATIC-only.

I'm quite risk averse so I would be getting car like that inspected by a trusted independent.

It's just a little bit too much money to take a punt on it for my liking, and as you already know you can run into potentially-ruinous bills if all is not well on this kind of car.

It's also a royal PITA if you buy it at £5k, it develops a fault and then you have all the hassle of trying to get as much back as you can, not to mention the money you've then lost.

That said, if you check everything electric works, the car rises and lowers OK, it makes no funny noises and drives / brakes well, and it is HPI-clear, chances are it is fine.

I personally would avoid a diesel of that vintage as above but it could well be fine.

With any trader I've never heard of, I go in with the assumption that they are dodgy until proven trustworthy.

Alternatively, if you can wait, I would hang on until a vendor like Mercland.com (Jay on here) gets one in or even see if he can source one for you.

At least you will know it's straight and functioning as it should be!

Good suggestion re Mercland, I had a good 11 plate ML from Mercland ,70 k on the clock , ran without a problem for a year and then they bought it back from me at a very reasonable price as I wanted something totally different and wanted to raise some cash. I would buy another car from them !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom