Please 'read' my 230k plugs . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Hi guys

Changed my plugs today to help my idle - idle is better but more importantly the car noticeably smoother under acceleration :)

IMAG0150.jpg

These look ok to me.

Another observation is that the plugs with leads have a little brown fur on the top whereas the direct to coil plugs have none.

Just after some comments really.

Their colour might point to something else I need to change.

I didn't take a video before, but this is my idle now :

YouTube - ‪Mercedes C230k Idle 1997‬‏

Not bad really; just me being very pedantic.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Hi guys

Changed my plugs today to help my idle - idle is better but more importantly the car noticeably smoother under acceleration :)

IMAG0150.jpg

These look ok to me.

Another observation is that the plugs with leads have a little brown fur on the top whereas the direct to coil plugs have none.

Just after some comments really.

Their colour might point to something else I need to change.

I didn't take a video before, but this is my idle now :

YouTube - ‪Mercedes C230k Idle 1997‬‏

Not bad really; just me being very pedantic.

Thanks

Chris
They look fine to me too and I've change 100's of plugs in all makes. Looked at your vid and my 99 230k idles nearly the same but don't fluctuate quite as much. Might aswell change air,oil filters and oil while your at it. ATB Carl.

Everything service wise is changed.

Just wondering if there is a sensor/pickup I can clean.

I can disconnect the side cam sensor with no affect - didn't try the front one.

Checked the connections on everything I could see.

Need to find a bit of hose to listen to the injector seals . . .

I should add it has done 102k miles now - even so, I don't think the idle should hunt when it can and does settle most of the time.

Some people have improved their idle by using a high performance Single electrode spark plug used in later versions of that engine the NGK IFR 6D10 expensive but last a long time and are resistant to fouling. That said your existing plugs look OK and unless the idle is bothering you stick with the original spec.

I have just put originals back in - they should do the trick really.

Like I said - it can hold a steady idle, what's making it hunt ?

I have moved my MAF closer to the throttle - I understand the impact of the ECU reaction time etc. but disconnecting the MAF has no effect !

Chris

I've just noticed a little bit (!) of oil on the camshaft position sensor/actuator . . .

IMAG0152.jpg

Could this be the culprit ?

Last edited:
Many C230K owners have this very problem, mine does the same maybe a tad a less. To resolve this problem you need to clear 2 small nozzles under the inlet mainfold which are usually blocked causing the idle to hunt like this. There is a how to listed here:

How to stop MAF oil contamination (CLK 230K - W208) - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

On top of this its also a good idea to remove ALL of the air intake housing and breather pipes to give them a good clean you may find they are lined with a film of oil which can over time contaminate the MAF also.

Looks like I will dismantle the intake then - I have been putting that job off !

I still can't understand how that could affect idle - maybe if one side was/is blocked.

If the 'high RPM' breather system was taking all the vapours, surely that isn't a major problem other than oil contamination ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Gurpz - have you done the procedure yourself ?

Could it be done without disturbing the manifold ? I'm used to working on moving parts in confined spaces as part of work - I presume the pipes push on ?

That's not hunting, it's just eh idle stabilisation is slow, possibly due to a sticky throttle flap. Clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner and as said all the breathers too.

Looking at my video again; its really not that bad if at all !

Last edited:
Gurpz - have you done the procedure yourself ?

Could it be done without disturbing the manifold ? I'm used to working on moving parts in confined spaces as part of work - I presume the pipes push on ?

I have cleaned all the intake and breather system parts as well as the flap thing in the air box. My next task is also going to be the blocked nozzles unnder the inlet manifold and hopefully that sorts it :bannana:

Most of the rubber pipes pull off but some may require some force

YouTube - ‪C230k Throttle Actuator Sound‬‏

Does the throttle body open WOT without the engine started ?

Disconnecting the MAF causes the supercharger not to kick-in, so feels underpower - smooth though.

Disconnecting the camshaft actuator does little.

Just considering if it could be the throttle body itself; I'm sure it's getting slower WOT.

Any help !

I'll consider a trip down to Ollie, but the fuel money could be spent on bits !

Chris

Sorted the idle and loss of power with a 20min ECU reset - I should have done this hand-in-hand with cleaning the throttle.

I did the hearsay 'press the throttle pedal while off' procedure, but I don't think that works.

Only time the idle will drop is normal; when both the AC fans kick in.

Very happy now !

Chris

Just an update.

Problem came back a few days later - now armed with code reader, indicated MAF failure.

Tried cleaning which helped, then I presume it died completely.

Got a new Bosch item from ECP and the car is back to speed again :)

I also cleaned and renewed the lower breather system; this had no effect on the idle problem at all - but was worthwhile doing I guess to protect the MAF.

Chris

No problem - I have not had a chance to drive the car until the MAF turned up this morning. The running problem, together with the wheels being away for refurb, didn't help my mood to continue investigating !

No problem - I have not had a chance to drive the car until the MAF turned up this morning. The running problem, together with the wheels being away for refurb, didn't help my mood to continue investigating !

There's a clever forum gadget called 'Thread Tools,' on posts you've made and with this you can mark the thread as solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom