Please recommend 3D gel plate maker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Hi, looking for good quality 3D gel plates. Any recommendations? Prices seem to vary from something like <£25 on amazon to almost £75 via some. No point wasting money on these unless the additional cost is associated with a commensurate improvement in quality.

I can't seem to get myself to like the 4D plates that are out now. I suppose its just personal taste.

Anyway hope you can point me in the right direction.

Ta

I'm sure a friend of mine does number plates, I can find out if he does 3D gel plates. I do know he is licensed with DVLA etc so all done properly

How can a number plate be 4D? I thought the fourth dimension was time...

I have to say I think the new trend of stick-on letters is a step backwards. This is how plates were in the 1970s and they were a nightmare to keep clean, as dead flies remains got baked on in between the letters. The later wipe-clean variety, which are now the norm, were a vast improvement.

It must do, as I posted the same as you, but eight minutes earlier! o_O

That must be it! 4D plates are put on 2020s cars to make them look like they're from the 1970s!

Reactions: 219
It confusing but a 4D is basically a 3D with a higher profile so more of a block stuck on. The original 3D plates were just a (legal) font. The 3D gel had a dome effect/slightly raised lettering.

Website-3D-Gel-Pciture-600x600.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Erm .... in physics the first three dimensions are width , height and depth ; the fourth dimension is time .

None of these so called 4D plates have more than three dimensions .

It is really just getting back to the pressed aluminium plates , with individual white characters attached by circlips onto the black base plate , that I had on my older cars .

This one , however , appears to be a 4D plate 😊

0A310F19-521C-494F-978B-B6C66517CA51.jpeg

Last edited:
If they are no good, take some pics so I can see. My friend does do them and I'll get a price for you.
They arrived today and seem to be of very good quality. Only time will tell I suppose since the issue seems to be the risk of the letters falling off after weather exposure and washing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom