Please someone HELP! w211 e55k steering wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
The issue, is Steering wobble / shimmey left to right when held with one hand lightly. It's not a Vibration really, its a shimmey. If you hold the steering wheel with both hands it dampens the whole thing and everything feels normal.

It does it when cornering too, although this dampens the sensation. Road surface doesnt really make much difference at all.
It does it regardless of rpm, and Gear selected. Does even if you slip it into neutral at 57mph, Seems alittle worse when coasting.

Speed 50-59 worst at 57mph

I have replaced

Re-Balanced Front tyres then changed to
New Goodyear Tyres on the front
Re-Balanced
Alignment also been done
Prop uj's frt and rr
Whole front suspension, Upper and Lower Arms, lower Ball joints recently
Tie rod ends, No Play in the Inner rack ends at all, Rack doesn't move in the mounts when steering wheel turned.

Cleaned Front Hubs, Replaced both front Wheel bearings, Re fitted Old front discs as i thought the New ones may be suspect, This may have helped very slightly. But old ones are warped and pitted.

Sat in the rear of the car no vibes at the rear. Feeling a very very small shimmy perhaps foot well hardly nowt.

When doing 58mph and i apply the brakes lightly the steering wheel stops Shimming.
Car has in the last year had 2x Gearbox mounts one which i fitted recently and 2x engine mounts but these are of a poor brand and done by previous owner.

Engine has a very small amount of movement when checking the mounts but it is a Big lump.

This issue is driving me mad any ideas on what ive missed.

Im starting to think the Damper in the Steering rack has gone, Its like it over compensates 50-60 then its smooth as you like as fast as you want getts better the quicker you go. Slow speed upto 46 everything is great too.

Either that or the New brake disc's were worn out of shape.

No clonks or bangs, Gearbox is lovely and smooth "the best ive known" in a w211 tbh.

Last thing i did was replace the front brakes before this issue but only noticed above very recently.:confused:

nov 2002 e55k

My next step is fitting New front brakes "again" and 2x engine mounts along with a steering rack, Then if no joy its being broken or torched lol

Last edited:
Afraid I can't help Gav. Seems you have tried most remedies. Hopefully one of the Techs can give a few pointers.

Afraid I can't help Gav. Seems you have tried most remedies. Hopefully one of the Techs can give a few pointers.

I'm completely stumped tbh Roger, Just dont know where to go with the car, To much work and not enough play...

Touch wood the Brakes will sort it, It really feels wheel/hub side through the Steering wheel. Its like its missing a vibration damper or something. Its not bad but its annoying and i cant stand the smallest of things like this.

Dont really want to have to put a Rack on it unless its a dead cert.

As above, check for buckled rims. And don't discount a problem with the rears...

Many thanks for the replies, I have sorted it this morning.

The Aftermarket wheels i bought no less than 10 months ago have worn out.

The centre bore of the wheels have worn, Aprox 1.5mm on the nearside and and 1mm on the o/s

The wheels came with spiggots "which i dont like btw" i had suspected these plastic ones so last wk i replaced them with alloy ones.

This mornig to prove a point i wrapped masking tape aroud the side of the Alloy spiggots, once on the offside, and twice around the nearside.

Hey presto wheels are nice and snug and vibrations have gone, The car needless to say now drives like NEW!!!

Wheelbase alloys have a lot to answer for!!

If they are moving on the spigot rings? Are they moving on the studs?

I'm just thinking how can the wheel center move without the entire wheel moving?

Great detective work though. Full marks for perseverance.

Interesting. How can the centre spigot wear? Unless the wheels are loose, in which case there's a bigger problem.

Interesting. How can the centre spigot wear? Unless the wheels are loose, in which case there's a bigger problem.

I've had this with one of my Volvo's it was on plastic spigot rings, The plastic ring on that got brittle with age and was miss shaped and crushed by a previous owner and a right mess, Then i noticed one day i had a similar vibration due to that.

The alloys were supplied with plastic spigot rings, These have wore out probably be me tbh taking the wheels on and off,And or even the heat generated from the AMGs brakes, Also they were slightly sloppy around the hub As these wore, it allowed the wheel to move on the bolts, It doesn't matter how tight you do them if the spigots are worn the wheel will still move and vibrate, and gradually wear the centre. "I assume" Also the spiggots always sat within the wheel a little to far for my liking from day one.

This is why i hate Non Hubcentric spacers, and Spigot rings

I bought some alloy spigots but this was to late The centre of the wheel had become worn "presumably"

Last edited:
If they are moving on the spigot rings? Are they moving on the studs?

I'm just thinking how can the wheel center move without the entire wheel moving?

Great detective work though. Full marks for perseverance.

The wheels WILL move if they are not snug against the hub, It wont matter how much you tighten the bolts it wont be enough. "experience with previous car"

Thankyou yes great cost and perseverance, and this time round nowt to do with the car. Just another good reason to stick with Genuine Mb wheels and or Proper alloy wheels which fit without the need for Spigots. :/

I always presumed the hub-centric mounting was simply to centre the wheel, to prevent wobble/vibration. The stud (or more correctly, the bolt head seat) secures the wheel from moving due to braking or acceleration torque.
If the wheel still moves on correctly tightened studs, perhaps there's another issue?

I always presumed the hub-centric mounting was simply to centre the wheel, to prevent wobble/vibration. The stud (or more correctly, the bolt head seat) secures the wheel from moving due to braking or acceleration torque.
If the wheel still moves on correctly tightened studs, perhaps there's another issue?

The Hubcentric part of the spigot was not tight enough against the vehicles hub from day one, close but not close enough, Its worn both wheel and plastic spigot as the Hub is obviously metal.

The wheels were always done upto the proper torque, I ran a tyre business quite a few years back and always make sure the wheels are done up correctly.

I think if had fitted Alloy spigots in the 1st place none of this would have happend, Interestingly enough im not getting any vibs from the rear of the car which had the same wheels and same plastic spigots, Heat i think certainly contributed to the deterioration of wheel and spigots.

Obvioulsy im running alloy spigots on the rear too.

Someone's selling a set of AMG alloys in the classifieds aren't they Gav?

You've spent enough on it already so I'd be biting the bullet and getting a proper set for them pal, it'd be going through my head all the time when I was driving the car if it were me.

Last edited:
Yep im looking but im in no need for tyres, the rears are Good and and ive just spent out £235 for 2 New Goodyears on the front. Money is tight as you can appreciate at the moment i am just a normal hard working enthusiast lol

gav the set linked need a full refurb.

it's a shame that's happened so soon on your wheelbase alloys
Have you emailed them?? If I were you I'd be on the phone to them!

Last edited:
gav the set linked need a full refurb.

it's a shame that's happened so soon on your wheelbase alloys
Have you emailed them?? If I were you I'd be on the phone to them!

Hi bud thanks for the kind thoughts, Yeah i've emailed them but i dare they will just fob me off, we will see. :(

Hi bud thanks for the kind thoughts, Yeah i've emailed them but i dare they will just fob me off, we will see. :(

Did you buy on credit card, because if you did you are protected by the cca (Consumer credit act) and can claim a refund through Section 75.
The wheels are obviously not of merchantable quality, so why should you accept the damage?

If I understand correctly, then you were supplied with substandard spigot rings which damaged the alloy wheels.

The wheels themselves were not substandard as such (ie any alloy wheel should have suffered similar damage as result of the substandard spigot rings), their only fault is that being aftermarket wheels they needed spigot rings in the first instance.

If I understand correctly, then you were supplied with substandard spigot rings which damaged the alloy wheels.

The wheels themselves were not substandard as such (ie any alloy wheel should have suffered similar damage as result of the substandard spigot rings), their only fault is that being aftermarket wheels they needed spigot rings in the first instance.

Gavs had this sorted

Wheelbase are supplying 2 new front wheels and the correct spigots as they admitted to supplying wrong ones to begin with

a good result, hope it all works out for him & brutus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom