Please talk me out of this*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonMad

Car
W209 CLK55 AMG (stripped out) - gone :(
2002 MERCEDES-BENZ ML500 Tip

v8 warbling, wafty, family transport goodness or a likely complete money pit that's only held together by it's paint and dodgy coloured leather?

(I almost actually quite like the colour combo!)

*Not that I'm looking to buy something until the end of the year, but it did catch my eye.

An ML will roll around like a drunken sailor compared to your CLK.

Buy something low slung.

The interior is horrific.

No, you won't - they drive AMG G Wagens! I know I met one last month in Russia! :D

JonMad
---------------

Okay then. What about this one.......it's sold.

That should work.

v8 warbling, wafty, family transport goodness or a likely complete money pit that's only held together by it's paint and dodgy coloured leather?

*Not that I'm looking to buy something until the end of the year, but it did catch my eye.

The pre 4matic ml's don't handle very well & the petrols are very thirsty(you will be lucky to average 17mpg over a tank in a 500)-don't do it.

The pre 4matic ml's don't handle very well & the petrols are very thirsty(you will be lucky to average 17mpg over a tank in a 500)-don't do it.

17 sounds lower than I'd want. Low-mid 20s I could deal with. When were 4matics from? Sorry, I know nothing about MLs really. I walk past one each day on the way to the station (a 270 iirc) and they seem to fit the bill of high up and not too big (for wife) and with a V8 rumble (for me :) )

17 sounds lower than I'd want. Low-mid 20s I could deal with. When were 4matics from? Sorry, I know nothing about MLs really. I walk past one each day on the way to the station (a 270 iirc) and they seem to fit the bill of high up and not too big (for wife) and with a V8 rumble (for me :) )

All the ML's were equipped with 4ETS [ electronic traction system] from start of production. Another name for this was 4MATIC which Mercedes suddenly decided to use to describe all their 4wd vehicles [ as a marketing exercise??more than anything else] previously they had only used 4matic for their 4wd saloon/estate derivatives not SUV's They are all basically the same system but over the years various improvements were made mainly in the control hydraulics/electronics but the core system remained the same. There was an upgrade from 4ETS to 4ETS PLUS in year 2000 in which case that 500 would have it. However further refinements may have occurred later.
Wolfgang's ML Page: 4x4/ASR/ETS/4MATIC

and

Wolfgang's ML Page: 4ETS Plus

I like it! Wouldn't mind something like that for shifting stuff about. Road tax should be ok too given the age.

Mine handles better than it ought to, and I get consistently get 19.8mpg overall.

It could probably be on your drive for a shade under £4k. It's hardly run-in. Bite his hand off....:D

Thanks. Mileage would worry me on that one. Ian, yes, it's been for sale for a while so could probably haggle. Wife would never forgive me though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom