Please talk me out of this*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It looks cheap, will cost you severely (12-17mpg), horrible colour, looks really dated, nasty interior, handles like a boat with a hole in the hull and is well over priced.

I miss my old truck. American, cheaply made yet a great work horse. I could throw any work at it and it would do it and be grateful. Always available and ready to serve. I moved so much stuff in it and my older 320, that it paid for itself just doing that. Very rarely I needed a van or something bigger. Never once in 6 years of ownership they broke down on me or asked for any special treatment. Just regular maintenance and gas. They lived on the street and almost had no rust. I could go to a business meeting or haul some junk and I never feel I'm in the wrong car. People despise and dislike the W163 but for me these were the most reliable, most versatile and most useful Mercedes ever made.

Mine handles better than it ought to, and I get consistently get 19.8mpg overall.

I've driven a 2002 & a 2008 ml & the latter is a much better ride/no body roll,i'm not far out with the mpg if your obd is averaging 19.8(-10% for real mpg woulod be close to the 17mpg i stated).

That ML55 looks fine :)

It looks cheap, will cost you severely (12-17mpg), horrible colour, looks really dated, nasty interior, handles like a boat with a hole in the hull and is well over priced.

I like the colour, also I don't think it looks any more dated than other 4x4's of the same age.

Now this is a horrible colour...
MAYFAIR PRESTIGE : MERCEDES-BENZ M CLASS ML270 CDI AUTO SE+ 7 SEATS + 6 MONTHS WARRANTY

3879973-2.jpg

I like the colour, also I don't think it looks any more dated than other 4x4's of the same age.

Now this is a horrible colour...
MAYFAIR PRESTIGE : MERCEDES-BENZ M CLASS ML270 CDI AUTO SE+ 7 SEATS + 6 MONTHS WARRANTY

3879973-2.jpg

The title was ' Please talk me out of this', hence I tried to knock everything I could think of knocking. :D

I loved my ML270cdi, still like them now and think the W163 and W164 both look better exterior wise than the latest ML.

I wasn't really knocking it. :thumb:

2002 MERCEDES-BENZ ML500 Tip

v8 warbling, wafty, family transport goodness or a likely complete money pit that's only held together by it's paint and dodgy coloured leather?

(I almost actually quite like the colour combo!)

*Not that I'm looking to buy something until the end of the year, but it did catch my eye.

Looks like a lot of car for the money. If you can live with the ruinous fuel consumption, I'd be tempted to give it a go.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

The title was ' Please talk me out of this', hence I tried to knock everything I could think of knocking. :D

I loved my ML270cdi, still like them now and think the W163 and W164 both look better exterior wise than the latest ML.

I wasn't really knocking it. :thumb:

The thought of being able to get this car for under £4K is really tempting me... I'll be posting the same please talk me out of it post very soon :). Not too far from my office either...

Last edited:
I bought a ML55 AMG a few weeks ago. It came along by chance and was decent mileage (65k) and a good price. It had full LPG/Petrol dual fuel conversion done professionally (checked the garage and on-line LPG registration scheme). I had never had a 4x4 car before and used to muck chelsea tractor drivers, but after driving it for 2000 miles I love it. Given the 77p per litre of LPG, it works out as equivalent of 31mpg on A-road trips. It's for keeps if it goes without trouble. Mel.

2d to go - well, we'll see what it's worth then.

It went for £3800.00. I did call them to go and look at it yesterday but they said they weren't available but would be today (but I couldn't make it).

Extra grand gets you the ML55 with FMBSH from Huntingdon.

I know which one I would prefer ...

Yep, I watched the auction end too. Is this the chepeast shape to get a <= 10-yr old v8 merc?

I would go for the 55 over the 500... but its going to be a filthy money pit either way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom