Please tell me there is a way to turn off proximity alerts!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajs37

Car
2016 B180 1.6
I have a 2016 B Class W146. It has proximity alert systems for Front, Rear and each corner of the car - and I can't turn them off. I live in a rural setting with narrow roads, often having to pull in to allow other vehicles going the other way, to pass by. Now, I don't mind the system which warns if you are travelling too close to the car in front, or the rear-view camera system. However, I find myself constantly telling the alert system to 'STF up' and as I often carry young, impressionable grandchildren around, I am worried that I may forget that I am not alone in the car. The system also has a habit of alerting me for no reason!
It has got to the point where I may have to change the car to keep my sanity (I like the car!)
One of my neighbours (a GLE owner) said "just press the button on the console..." - I have no button. In a brief discussion with my mechanic (when I had a tyre burst on me!), he said, basically, "join the club!"

Please tell me that it is possible to switch off the proximity alert system!!!!
thanks
Andy

Why wouldn't you want the car to tell you that you are about to hit something? The alerts you are receiving are from the parking sensors and can be switched off using the button on the console but why would you do that? You would have to remember to turn them back on again whenever you wanted to park!

BTW its the P in the pic below.

mercedes-a-class-a180-08.jpg

Hi - I don't have a button on my console that allows me to turn off the parking sensors (or any other sensors) - I wish I did, but I don't. Possibly there is a way to turn them off by altering the software? I don't really need parking sensors as the car isn't that difficult to park - as far as I am concerned, they are a big distraction and I prefer using mirrors and the rear camera. When I pull over in a 'passing place' I really don't need the proximity alarm going off to tell me I'm getting close to the hedgerow - I know I am getting close - the sensors are alway too late with their warnings anyway - they are still going off when I have already pulled away!
Cheers
Andy

Are your sensors aftermarket? Sounds like they could be if you have no button on the console.

On your model the button is the second from the right on the row of 7 silver buttons.

Pretty sure they are not aftermarket, although I have to admit that it hadn’t occurred to me that they might be, they are so well integrated into the car, with a strip of warning leds on the dashboard. The previous owner had the car from new and was quite elderly (I think he gave up driving as there was only 5000 miles on the clock). There is definitely no button on the console!
Cheers
Andy

Pretty sure they are not aftermarket, although I have to admit that it hadn’t occurred to me that they might be, they are so well integrated into the car, with a strip of warning leds on the dashboard. The previous owner had the car from new and was quite elderly (I think he gave up driving as there was only 5000 miles on the clock). There is definitely no button on the console!
Cheers
Andy
They sound like aftermarket to me, your B class should have a button to turn them off if they were installed by MB.

Better pic below.....

88fdfb6eda204a5d9a021e82acbdbab1.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers
Andy

Presumably you have a blank switch - can you post a pic of the switch panel??

Pics attached - the switch panel, the LEDs on the dashboard and the sensors front and rearIMG_20190810_102045.resized.jpg IMG_20190810_102104.resized.jpg IMG_20190810_102135.resized.jpg IMG_20190810_102151.resized.jpg

really? that would explain a lot! thanks for that, I'll have to investigate further!
Cheers
Andy

Or.... use them as a driver aide. I saw an unfortunate guy reverse his Porche Boxer/Cayman into a brick wall corner and graunch his bumper quite badly at Waitrose this morning. Sensors may have helped.

I'm not too proud to use all the mod cons available. :)

Pics attached - the switch panel, the LEDs on the dashboard and the sensors front and rearView attachment 88113 View attachment 88114 View attachment 88115 View attachment 88116

Those look genuine to my untrained eye although mine has the option to turn off.
Mine do not fit flush although look slightly different.
I purchased my car new in 2016 it’s an E350.
Photo of mine attached.
015b1380190ad74053549e825a4b7cfb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When aftermarket sensors are installed, they usually fit a switch somewhere discrete so the front ones can be switched off. Doesn’t matter for the rear as they are triggered only when the reverse lights are on.
I would get down low and look on the panel above the pedals, near where the bonnet release lever is.

parking sensors 1.JPG parking sensors 2.JPG Here are my factory-fit sensors on a 2015 W246.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom