Plenum chamber help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bostonmj

Car
SL350 but miss my SL500
On Sunday I cleaned under the bonnet and noticed that there was some residual water left sitting in what I think is the plenum chamber. Top right hand corner of the engine bay, a plastic grill can be removed providing access to the plastic lined chamber. This chamber is directly under the right hand side air intake on the bonnet.

I put my hand into the chamber, dried it out with a cloth but couldnt find a drain hole. Can anyone help me locate it?

2002 SL500 (R230)
Tks

Martyn

got any pics, might help, the w211 has a pipe that gets kinked and can hold water the same way, look for a rubber pipe that could be kinked in the engine bay leading to a wing, hopefully some SL experts will come along soon.

I have a similar pool in mine which is very noticeable after washing. There is a filter box to the right of the chamber, on the bulkhead that the water drains into then runs away assuming no blockages due to leaves/debris etc. The drain below the screen where the wipers go also pipes into it. I had a good feel around and discovered that if the chamber you are talking about does not drain properly it has an overflow that drains directly out of the filter box so the heater does not pull in water if it is blocked. I could not see any problem with mine so put some water in with a hose to flush and it runs out at the back of the wheel well lining. I could not access this from the wheel well without taking off the splash guard but it flowed out OK. I still get the pool visible through the grill after washing but now assume they all do this?
Let me know if you find a cure!
Good luck, Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom