plug in code readers for a W211 E class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Given these cars are almost too complicated for their own good sometimes I wonder if a code reader would be worth investing in?

Some seem to be bluetooth and you can either use a smart phone to see whats going on and what if any faults are there.

Has anyone got such a device for a E Class and if so what recomendations are they?

Quick google found something like this which was blue tooth.

scanner_zps74d63e24.jpg

Good bad waste of money?

My Indy now is a fair trip away now I have move so seeing what the car made require up front could be handy?

Read my sticky.

What will you do with the codes when you have them?

Most codes are useless without live data, wiring diagrams and some knowledge on how to decipher them.

Star they are not but I have been able to use mine to diagnose 2 faulty EGR valves, a CPS fault, coil pack fail and a throttle body fault on various cars, diagnosis which would have cost way more than the unit cost me. Used with extreme caution and a bit of common sense they are worth having in my book.

Funny, I was looking at similar thing regarding datalogging

I have a few different types, the wifi and Bluetooth ones are good for getting live data on basic ODB2 info. However the software you get with them can be hit and miss and the transfer rates can make some of the live data meaningless.

My favourite but you do need a laptop is ScanXL Professional but use a cable ODB2 connector not wifi or Bluetooth, they do a phone tablet version called dashcommand but for some reason it does not pick up some faults that are clearly there and will only erase faults it sees. I then plug in ScanXL Professional and it shows the fault which is very strange as its the same platform and ScanXL even contains a version of dashcommand! ScanXL will wipe the ECU even if no fault is present, dashcommand gives the message no faults present so the fault remains

I also have an Innovate OT-2 which also works with their other sensors so gives awesome live data. It seems to have a faster transfer rate than other Bluetooth and wifi readers I have used.
The software that comes with it is LogWorks and is easy to use it will not erase faults unless it sees them, it is permanently wired into my car although you don't have to. It's OK but not perfect I will try PLX next time as they seem to be more robust.

I then have a Clarke ODB Reader no live data but will wipe the ECU even if no codes are present - I leave this in the car it simple and effective.

Finally STAR - easy to run a quick test but takes time to learn it and its easy to get to comfortable and think it knows everything and end up just changing parts that work perfectly. It's important you can use a multimeter to see if the fault is correct.

So in conclusion I would say if you want log live data then get a laptop based one and use a wired cable, if you do want a tablet or phone based one take a look at PLX Kiwi.
An alternative is UltraGuage its small, light and cheap but you can only order from the states and while you can view and monitor live data you cannot save it. This is perfect for modified cars that want to watch fuel trims, timing and IAT's as you can easily set alarms should any parameters you have set be exceeded.

If you just want a simple code reader that can gives you the codes and allow you to wipe the ECU then get a handheld one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom