Plug in hybrid, need some info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chic0821

MB Enthusiast
Car
S63 AMG Coupe, Range Rover Sport, 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
Not totally convinced but I am thinking about a Plug in Hybrid SUV. As my cars at present can sit for weeks or longer without being used, they are all hooked up to Ctek chargers. Never had a starting problem even after being unused for months in the winter. Question is with a Plug in hybrid, can I leave the charging cable plugged in for weeks. I would have thought I could & it would monitor the battery like the Ctek, but may be mistaken. Also, I assume it has a separate battery for the petrol engine ie just a conventional petrol engine with battery & alternator & no shared system with the hybrid, so I could just fit a Ctek to this side as I already do with my present cars. I am pretty clued up regarding conventional cars, but not so on leccy/hybrid cars.

On the second point, your PHEV will have a second "ordinary" battery to do "ordinary" things.
And that battery will perform just like an ordinary battery on your CTEK.

I'll leave others to comment specifically about battery maintenance on the bigger EV battery. I think I know the answer - charge is lost over time - but it's for existing owners to comment on how they manage this "in the real world." There are nuances around charge and the desire to leave the petrol engine off for as long as possible, or to warm the car.

What type of PHEV SUV are you contemplating ? GLE / GLC or newer ?

Last edited:
100% charge level is not good for the high voltage battery health. I'd park the car at 40 to 80 % charge level, depending on how long it stays parked. Charge level can drop down to 20 - 30%.

The 12 V battery could be on a maintenance charger as you've done previously and as suggested above.

Mike. Thanks for reply. I am considering either Mercedes GLE, BMW X5 45e or Volvo XC90 probably 2021 or 2022. Every GLE I have looked at seems to have black interior which I hate. Looks like the bean counters are forcing black on all of us. There also seems also to be hardly any with pano/sun roof or HUD. I have HUD in my S63 & love it, so from what I am seeing the GLE is cancelling itself out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom