Plugging number plate holes in boot lid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark1984

Car
A200 d
Hello,
New member wanting some advice please. I've just bought a 18 plate A Class. When the dealer (not Mercedes) have fitted the rear number plate they have ignored the dedicated holes for the plate screws and drilled 2 new holes in the boot lid. How I've fitted a plate holder and used the correct holes but can someone recommend something to plug the holes up with? They won't be on show but I want to stop any potential rust where drilled the holes.

Thanks

Mark.

Why do they do that😡 Bet it wasn't straight either.
How about touching in the unprotected metal with paint and then sealing with a small amount of clear silicone sealant?

It wasn't too bad. Just someone being lazy. Good idea with the silicon seal. I just don't want water getting in and it rusting through. It's not my first A Class I had a 2008 W169 which I really liked.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. What I've ended up doing is putting the number plate screws back. But I've used the number plate screw caps so it doesn't damage the boot lid. I've painted the caps so they blend in nicely even if they are hidden by the number plate surrounded. Hopefully they be weatherproof.

I would protect the raw edge of the holes with Hammerite Kurust - you can get a small 90ml pot from B&M for £3.50 (or various other places for more) and then used the silicon as others have said.

Thanks for that. I've not heard of Kurust but I'll definitely look into it.

Hello,

I have the same exact problem. On mine I don’t even have the the inserts for the screws on the 4 holes. Do you know what I can use and the plate to insert to mount the number plate?

Alex

Alex are the holes in there to take the inserts ?
Alex post a picture of your boot lid if i am right you have the holes , but no inserts
Thisis an idea =
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you put the screws back in, they will remove any paint/treatment in the process. Seal with silicone sealer or PU sealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom