Plugs and play Remap - Which one and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kend0

Car
CLK500
Hello folks, apologies if this has been covered multiple times (tried using the search - bit didn't quite get the answers)...

I acquired a CLK500 few months back and rather enjoying the miles so far.

In the past, I've remapped various makes of car with a simple plug in job and it's had varied results, some did indeed feel slightly more responsive, crisper to drive with improved MPG, and some I barely noticed a change at all.

The problem I feel these days is that there is literally so many options and I'm struggling to take my pick of what's worth the money and what ones aren't (£100 efforts on ebay - are they actually any good?).

Now just to be clear, I'm not looking for massive power gains or any silver bullets that drastically change performance, just something that makes the car drive more efficient/responsive and maybe some extra MPG into the bargain... I'm hoping I can call on some experience in the group if any of you have had a remap (hopefully same car/engine) and if there is any recommendations - or if I'm as well staying standard?

Cheers in advance! :thumb:

Remaps are pretty much a waste of time on n/a engines. Unless you have other engine mods you want to make the most of you are better off spending your cash on servicing.

As above, save your pennies, you'll probably get more gains from a couple of free flow air filters and a better flowing exhaust (removing cat converters if possible) and a good service to make sure all is up to scratch. You may be able to look into timing advance with a higher octane fuel such as super unleaded. N/A engines need to flow better, you can't just up the power like a turbo / supercharged motor by simple fuel mods and a boost pressure upgrade (in many cases via a tuning box / remap).

Thanks gents...

I figured this was case, hence why I've done it in past and not really noticed anything. I always see the claim of improved MPG and wondered if it was true. Car is tip top otherwise, always use a higher octane petrol and oil dropped only 1500 ago. So was just testing the water if it was worthwhile.

I may remove the restrictive cats (just to get a more throaty note) but wont be modding it - I've always been of the opinion you're as well putting the cash you'd spend on engine mods/alterations/labour/etc on a better performance model (AMG etc).

Cheers for the steer guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom