Plumbing bafflement to do with BSP measurements.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
The immersion heating element in my biodiesel processor stopped getting hot so I removed it, measured the hole it came out of, saw that it was 2¼ inches in diameter & ordered a new 14" 3kw element with a BSP of 2¼.

Silly me. As any fool (now including yours truly) knows, 2¼BSP is not 2¼ inches. Oh no.

Turns out I need a 14" 3kw heater element of 2" BSP, which should I think fill the 2¼ sized hole. Naturally, this being Life, nothing is easy and it turns out 2" BSP 14" 3 kw immersion heater elements are rocking horse mated with unicorn shit (rockcorn horse?) rare while the world is awash with 15 quid 2¼" elements. Great foresight by the now out of business manufacturer.

Solutions sought.

TIA

Last edited:
Thought I had an idea then put brain in gear so deleted.

It made sense when dealing with pipe work as it was the nominal id of the pipe. I suppose the real question is why metric didn't supersede BSP. Modern plumbing fittings are still BSP.

Will the element of the 2 1/4" heater pass through the ID of 2" BSP male x 2 1/4" BSP female adapter?

Can original hole be blocked and new hole made in tank for the other size of immersion heater?

Change the tank, yours must be old and therefore it’s lifespan is limited

I needed a smaller diameter immersion heater in a relatively new cylinder as we wanted a 1.5kw one instead of 3kw
I contacted the manufacturer:-
Sent: 26 September 2012 19:14
To: [email protected]
Subject:

Hello Mr Wright

We have been supplied with one of your immersion heaters as part of a heating package.
It is approx 14" but has a smaller boss connection than usual, something around 1.75"
The model number is CESTB-340
It is rated at 2.75 to 3kw.

We have solar pv roof panels and our solar pv installer has suggested changing the immersion heater to a 1.5kw version to make use of surplus electricity generated.

Do you manufacture a 1.5kw version with the same thread diameter? If so, can you give a model number & a list of stockists please.

Regards,

The reply I got was:-

Hello

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes we can supply an immersion heater similar to our code CESTB 340 but with an output of 1.5kw. The part number is HE1.514C and they can be bought directly from us with payment made by debit/credit card or BACS transfer.

This product is available from stock and the price is £36.00 each + £12.00 carriage + VAT.

Regards

Sarah

Sarah White
Heatrod Elements

Tel: 01493 722076
Fax: 01493 728342

Don't know if either Thermtec or Heatrod Elements can help you?

Will the element of the 2 1/4" heater pass through the ID of 2" BSP male x 2 1/4" BSP female adapter?

It's very tight already going through the 2¼ pipe, so no, I don't think so.

Can original hole be blocked and new hole made in tank for the other size of immersion heater?

I thought about doing that. It appears to be possible but there is considerable faff around involved - dismantling, moving it to the workshop, etc.

Change the tank, yours must be old and therefore it’s lifespan is limited

It's steel. It doesn't wear out.

.......Don't know if either Thermtec or Heatrod Elements can help you?

Thanks, I'll try them tomorrow.

Take the old heater to a plumbers merchant and get a replacement (seems too easy,there must be a problem)

The 2" element I got from the company Piff brought to my attention is in & works a treat.

Thanks.

P.S. If anyone needs a new Tesla 2¼ BSP 14" 3kw heater element with dual safety thermostat at a keen price I'm your man.

The 2" element I got from the company Piff brought to my attention is in & works a treat.

Thanks.

P.S. If anyone needs a new Tesla 2¼ BSP 14" 3kw heater element with dual safety thermostat at a keen price I'm your man.

Tesla 3kw - what’s the 0 to 60 time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom