Plumbing help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Ok chaps ....

Bought a nice new monobloc tap , and the problem is that the hoses they supply are marginally too short (at 300mm) , they have an unusual fitting on one end as they both have to go side by side into a single tap ...

Basically i need a pair of 500mm ones and i can't seem to find any , they are all 300 mm :confused:

They look like this ... any ideas ?

Last edited:
Hi Howard,

Go to your nearest diy place and get a pair of push fit type fittings similar to these....http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/294-1763 make sure they match the pipe size. ie. 25mm or 15mm

Also a bit of copper pipe then extend your supply pipes to where they need to be. ;) No soldering needed.

Mark.

The thing is , the existing copper pipes already have male threaded fittings on them , i just want to put these on and tighten them up , plumbing isn't my strong point ......

The thing is , the existing copper pipes already have male threaded fittings on them , i just want to put these on and tighten them up , plumbing isn't my strong point ......

Cut them off with a hacksaw with about 3 inches of pipe left on them. Put the push fit onto the newley cut pipe after cleaning it with a bit of wire wool and put an extended bit of pipe onto the push fit, use nother push fit and put the cut pipe with the male threaded fitting into that. So you will end up with 2 push fit fittings on each pipe. Clear as mud!!!:cool:

Mark.

Try searching for 500mm tap tails

Edit:
Alternatively two of these and then remove the nuts from these compression joints to give you the connections you require
Assume you already have stop valves in-line ;)

If you buy the long tap tails make sure you get the ones with different hot and cold inserts to the monoblock to match yours.

Last edited:
Just cut off the original pipes and add a bit of 15mm pipe and a compression fitting. I'm assuming you don't mean the isolators when you say they already have a threaded fitting. That type of fitting is either a washing machine fitting or the male section of the fitting. You will need some backnuts and olives to fit the 15mm pipe to the fittings.

A picture speaks volumes...

Until i take it apart, i can't get you a picture i'm afraid ....as it's buried under the sink bowl at the mo ...

The taps that are already there have flexi-hoses on them that connect to the copper pipe in the wall using the nuts onto presumably compression fittings...

What i really want to do , is just screw the new hoses straight onto where the old ones came off of , minimising the possibilty for disaster on my behalf ...

I can do up a nut, but compression fittings and extra bits and bobs are just asking for trouble ....

Someone has already installed the bits that the hoses fit onto and they don't leak so its all good, now if i can just screw a new hose onto it , then i can't go far wrong , but if i start cutting pipes and installing valves etc .... :rolleyes:

So can't you use the old flexi hoses on the new tap?

No, because the new ones are like the picture on the first post and the old ones are like this .... :(

At present i have two seperate taps and the new tap is a monobloc tap ...

Last edited:
Howard said:
I can do up a nut, but compression fittings and extra bits and bobs are just asking for trouble ....

Someone has already installed the bits that the hoses fit onto and they don't leak so its all good, now if i can just screw a new hose onto it , then i can't go far wrong , but if i start cutting pipes and installing valves etc .... :rolleyes:

Everyone starts somewhere.

Compression fittings are just nuts and fittings. There is an olive trapped between the nut and the seat of the fitting which "compresses" onto the pipe.
If you have four fingers and a thumb this should be easy..brains are not required.

Howard said:
No, because the new ones are like the picture on the first post and the old ones are like this .... :(

At present i have two seperate taps and the new tap is a monobloc tap ...

Which end is on the tap and which on the pipe? The closer end is a compression fitting and the further one is a nut. There must be some kind of seat or washer.
Doh sorry about that, the further end is a standard tap fitting so you are only really interested in the compression fitting end.

When you undo the compression fitting it will leave the olive and backnut on the pipe. I would add an isolator (assuming there isn't one already) and then bolt the new hoses onto the isolators. This would mean that you could replace the tap in future without switching off the water supply.

Last edited:
Howard?? I'm amazed at you mate. You can turn a tap on and off that controls 1000's of gallons of water/min (the lock) but you can't connect a couple of tap tails. Go on, be brave, give it a go, but before you start check where you can turn off/isolate the water supply just in case...Hot and cold. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom