Pocket watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
Rummaging through a box in the attic I came across an old Ingersoll pocket watch my dad bought me when I was 15, wound it up, 57 years later it's still going and keeping good time......gob smacked....

In theory there's no reason why it shouldn't run though it's an impressive feat really. :)

If you're planning on keeping it then I'd suggest having it serviced by a decent watchmaker. Yes, probably over the top and could potentially cost more than the vale of the watch but it will preserve it for future generations as the oil in any watch dries out over time.

Good luck with it. :)

Thanks Daveenty, with technology today putting people out of work, it is nice to get back to basics.
I will keep it going.....

vis-a-vis nothing at all -I've got a Waltham(American) pocket watch which belonged to SWMBO's great uncle (before he was killed on the Somme), according to the number it was made in 1905, still keeping perfect time!

Pocket watches are among some of the most tactile things that you can have. They can now be worn with jeans or a suit, indeed almost anything that you please to wear. Given it's linkage (no pun intended ) to you and your father, that makes it even more special tactile. Enjoy. Any pics?

Some of the Ingersoll watches are worth tens of pounds some are worth hundreds. If you still have box and papers, worth more than without. I bought a new Ingersoll wrist watch a couple of years ago, automatic mechanical with date for about £100. I like them.

Isn't that why the expensive watches have gemstone bearings? - Ruby doesn't (significantly) wear over time, so the action keeps turning without the need for oil.

Most use synthetic rubies nowadays but where there is contact there will be friction, however small, hence the need for lubrication.

Several different grades of oil are used in a standard movement, more when you get complications like chronographs. It's also not cheap to buy though you're not going to be using massive amounts of it.

Example of a rebuild HERE. This is actually one of my old watches and is still running accurately.

Makes a Mercedes oil change look positively cheap. :)

Most use synthetic rubies nowadays but where there is contact there will be friction, however small, hence the need for lubrication.

Several different grades of oil are used in a standard movement, more when you get complications like chronographs. It's also not cheap to buy though you're not going to be using massive amounts of it.

Example of a rebuild HERE. This is actually one of my old watches and is still running accurately.

Makes a Mercedes oil change look positively cheap. :)
Wow, you know your stuff daveenty

Wow, you know your stuff daveenty

Not really, just that I have an unhealthy obsession with watches. :D

Incidentally, if you do decide to have it serviced, let me know and I can suggest a decent watchmaker to you.

There are lots of people who associate themselves with this profession, though I've seen some horror stories with some of them over the years.

I bought a Rolex gmt in the 70’s in the USA, paid 1000 dollars. Had it serviced a few times and insured it.

Last year had it serviced by Rolex as nobody will service a Rolex as they will not supply parts to a non Rolex dealer.

They wanted to replace the case as it had signs of corrosion, bracelet as it was worn and the service it was going to cost more than I paid for it so I told them to service it forget the case and bracelet as it would not have been the watch I bought any more.

Service cost £500 and it did not keep good time, returned to dealer but they said they could not guarantee the accuracy as I had not had their recommendations completed.

Watch sold at auction for £6800 now I am sitting on the balcony of Azamara Quest in 22 degrees having the holiday paid for on the sale of the watch.

I am using my fathers Waltham watch which keeps good time!

Well done R4, a very smart move....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom