Point me in the right direction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pigster

Car
C220CDI Sport
Hi Guys. I know this subject has been covered on here but after spending an hour searching through the site I cant seem to find it.

BIODIESEL!!!

I want to run my 2008 c220cdi on it, but thought I would read up from people who might know more than me.

If some one knows of a thread and can post me a link that would be great.

I have read a lot on the net about this subject and some of the information seems bias, also everyone I speak to has 'a mate down the pub' who used biodiesel and blew his engine, I would like to avoid these sorts of tales as I have no faith in them.

Any help guys would be great I dont want to wreck my lovely car

Your manual says no.

Do not use the following:

• marine diesel
  • heating oil
  • bio-diesel
  • vegetable oil
  • petrol
  • paraffin
  • kerosene

Do not mix these fuels with diesel fuels and do not use any special additives. Otherwise, this can lead to damage to the engine. This excludes flow improver; see "Low outside temperatures".

Thanks Troon. I did see this so asked my MB Dealer, he did say that MB will support a blend of 20%bio to 80% fossel, and the statement in the manual only applies to cars with an Full MB Warrenty (my car is not under Warrenty). He did go on to say that his wife runs an 06 plate ML on 50% bio and it has ran fine for 18 months and 12,000 miles. So you will see I keep getting conflicting tales.

The engine in theory would be ok for B5 fuel (5% bio diesel) but as Tron says it would invalidate your warranty. If you use higher concentrations it will eventually destroy the seals and fuel hoses.

I thought all modern engines used Viton seals and hoses??

Most diesels made after 2004 should be vitro, but bio diesel has stronger solvent properties so be advised. I wouldn't run more than 5% (that's what we test with where I work)

Thanks Beno, I have read so much on this subject it has started to get confusing. I do a lot of miles each and the last thing I want to happen is end up at the side of the road not able to go anywhere.

I am going to try it, just not sure as 5% wont make much of a difference on my fuel costs so cant really see the point so might try a 20% blend until the filters need changing and will inspect the condition of the fuel lines.

I will keep you all posted

Your engine oil will need checking/changing more often so keep an eye on it

My car has only had one service in its life and my dealer says it will tell me when it needs another one, will a change in fuel speed up the time for it to tell when it needs another or should I just service it after a couple of tanks and reset the service counter?

or will a simple oil/oilfilter/fuelfilter change not affect it?

Thanks for everyones input, really useful information:thumb:

Lorries, tractors etc fine. But NOT in your car!

Cost savings are tiny and changing filters is only part of it. Fuel lines get blocked as does your tank. Injectors and metering pump will fail. I've seen it all.

Old style diesels with mechanical distributor type fuel pumps will run on virtually anything.
Modern common rail engines have a full-blown EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) system with extremely high fuel pressure (30,000+ psi). The seals needed to contain these pressures can be damaged by fuels that are not designed to work with them, and as these seals are in all the high pressure components (pumps, injectors), the potential for serious damage is quite high.

The quest for lower emissions and better economy has dictated the change to high pressure precisely metered fuel systems and fuels to match. Sadly, chip fat isn't one of them.

as far as i know the seals are the main issue. we are currently conducting tests on bio-fuels for aircraft and seals failure are part of the reasons why we arent using it on conventional engines.

biodiesel prices are great at the moment so i fail to see the need for it. At least in the uk

I was talking to a man today who makes his own Bio Diesel & runs his common rail Alfa & Toureg on it exclusively without problems, and has done so for several years.

One of the things about biodiesel is quality. If someone is really into their stuff it will be super clean and dry. Someone who is just like whatever might not take the time to do it properly leaving in some glycol or water.

One of the things about biodiesel is quality. If someone is really into their stuff it will be super clean and dry. Someone who is just like whatever might not take the time to do it properly leaving in some glycol or water.

This guy is really into it. He has a business selling supplies to bio diesel DIYers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom